CairnTalk

Therapy Dog Training Trouble

Tyler's mom

Hello, I have a very laid back 3 year old Cairn who loves people and has pretty good manners. I decided it would be a great thing for both he and I to pursue TD certification so I signed us up for class. First class he was very excited, but pretty calm. 2nd class, the wheels fell off. All the treats around having him forgetting all his manners - he's not walking on a loose leash, jumping up on the friendly stranger (with the treat in his hand) instead of holding a sit/stay, demand barking. (Stays with a recall are going well, but he knows there's a treat waiting for him.) 3rd class more of the same. The trainer suggested a spray of water in the face for the demand barking. Outside of class, he's back to Mr. Nice Cairn. Any suggestions as to how to keep him from going bonkers in the class? I'd really like to be able to pass the test at the end of our six weeks, but at the moment, it's looking doubtful. Thanks!

Which Therapy org are you trying to certify with? TDI, which our local hospital uses and the one that I have certified with does not allow food treats during visits.

You may want to rethink how you are rewarding your dog....obviously he is food motivated...maybe you are using to high of a value treat. So maybe switch to another type of treat...MANY MANY dogs get enough of a reward through praise or or play perhaps a toy in place of a food treat. You can try feeding him a samll meal before the class...if he is really hungry..that could take the edge off of his hunger. Ask your trainer and get their opinion...they should be helping you through this.

Best of luck...working in a therapy dog program is so rewarding.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

I'm wondering if it's not so much the behaviors your Cairn needs to perform than it is the situation in which he needs to perform them. In other words, it really sounds like it may just be an issue of your dog needing more of that good ol' fundamental, proofing. Proof, proof, proof and he'll get less excited by stimulating situations such as class. Are you taking him daily to places like pet stores, pet-friendly malls, and other such places where he'll see lots of friendly strangers, as well as other dogs with their people? How well is he able to maintain his good manners when he's in places like that? If he's fine there, maybe it's specifically the distraction of other teams working around him -- do you have any dog-handler pairs you can practice with?

Given what you said, he knows how to do the behaviors, just not how to do them under distracting circumstances. Desensitizing him to the distracting circumstances could easily take care of all the issues -- the not listening, the barking, etc. It may take more than 3 weeks, though, depending on how much you can get him out and practice those good behaviors in public. Especially since you may have to find some fairly quiet places at first, like the pet store on a Tuesday morning, then work up to the busier ones, like the pet store on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Proofing's definitely an art and you'll have to balance the need to push his envelope just a little bit with the need to avoid making things so distracting that he can't succeed.

Good luck and I'm sure with practice he'll be just fine! My Cleopatra and I are certified with TDInc and we enjoy our pet therapy visits very much!

Thanks for all the good advice! We are going for TDI certification. You are right that Tyler is food motivated. We have been withholding most of his breakfast each Saturday. This Saturday I'll try feeding his normal amount at breakfast, having kibble as his training treats (that's what he gets at home when training), with a backup of higher value treats and then withhold some of his dinner so he doesn't overeat for the day.

Tyler IS finding the class stimulating (he is so happy-he gives the teacher a big arroooo when he first sees her) and is seemingly over stimulated by the end of class. When he was a pup, we exposed him to lots of situations, sliding store doors, crowds, elevators, you name it,and he did very well. But since we adopted his adorable, but high-maintenance, special needs Cairn little brother about a year ago, we have slacked off on those kinds of experiences. Although a trip to Home Depot, riding the cart, happens a couple times a month, it's not the same as walking in crowds and where other dogs are around.

I agree that we might not get there in 3 weeks, but certainly worth a try and Tyler will certainly enjoy these little trips out into the world. He such a love, I'm sure we'll eventually get there.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate all the input! :thumbsup:

A good long walk before class might be a help also.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Turns out that Tyler was under the weather on Saturday (read throwing up) so we didn't go to class. However, I've been taking him out and about nearly everyday and I'm seeing a big improvement. He's walking through crowds nicely and allowing people to pet him without jumping on them. I talked to the trainer as well and we're trying a few tactics in class - moving him from the door and even putting a barrier up between him and the other dogs if he get riled up. I have hope! And he's having a great time. I'll let you know how class goes this weekend and thanks again for all the great advice.

Zekey once gave up his love of treats in class (not TDI, though). I was SO perplexed -- he was not motivated at all. Then the trainer suggested switching treats, and gave me some string cheese to use. Boy, did that do the trick! I guess Zekey was getting bored of the same old treats.

Summertime is a great time to seek out pet-friendly venues - outdoor flea markets, arts festivals, parades, etc. Good luck wtih your training!

Tylersmom,

Yay! I am so glad you are seeing some changes. And it sounds like your trainer also has some good suggestions. Keep up the extra-circular stimulation I think it is a GREAT thing for Tyler.

Please keep us posted on his progress!

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

What an amazing difference today in class! Tyler was much calmer and as we went through all the different test, he demonstrated that he knew his stuff. We went for a walk today before class and we've been working on all the different behaviors during the week as well as getting him out in crowds - people and dogs. I think it also helped that fewer treats were being given to any dog as we wind down toward the test next week - where no treats are allowed.

I cannot thank you all enough for your encouragement and great suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to let you all know that Tyler passed his Canine Good Citizen and TDI test!! I am truly amazed at the progress he made over the 3 weeks we had to get to the finish line. We still need to keep working at good behaviors - bad habits can return in the blink of an eye!! Thanks again for good advice and encouragement!

Archived