CairnTalk

Cities beginning to ban pet stores

sanford

There is an article on the website for MSNBC.com under Pet Health dated May 28th, reporting that a growing number of cities in Calif. & New Mexico are prohibiting the sales of dogs & cats in retail stores. Other cities in Missouri, Florida, New Mexico and elsewhere are considering similar bans. The article says that efforts to crack down on animal mills have been hindered by limited enforcement resources, so ban proponents are shifting their focus from the supply side to the demand.

The good news- The article continues: Public sentiment does, in fact, seem to be veering away from pet store animals. A recent poll by the Associated Press-Petside.com found that more than half of those surveyed planned to get their next cat or dog from a shelter, seven times the number who said they

FEAR THE CAIRN!

That is indeed good news! I know around here, there's been an effort to actively picket pet stores that get their dogs from puppy mills.

More shelters are trying to spruce up their environments to be more attractive to the public

A good example of this is PAWS (Phila. Animal Welfare Society) that opened up a storefront "boutique" right downtown - in one year, 2,000 pets were adopted from that site!

This is good news. I hope the momentum spreads from this and more cities/states catch on to the trend.

The world revolves around Benny and Sally...or so they think!

I would like to see the ban in Georgia...and being able to put ads in newspaper. With the internet it is easy to find breeders through the National and Local Clubs and see what animals need homes in your local shelter. If people were getting dogs from shelters, breed rescue and good breeders.... Need I say more

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Archived