CairnTalk

introductions

Dirtdogs

Hi all, I would be the "new kid". I have 2 Cairns. Toby, is my male he is on leg 5 of an RAE, we have just finished our C.D. (3 runs all in the mid to high 180's!!) We have the dumbbell retrieve down pat, once we get the drop on recall, we will go onto Open. He has a JE and one leg of SE. He is 6yrs old. Roxy, she is a little goofball! She has her RN and one leg of RA- and then she forgot how to heel... back to the drawing board! No ED for her yet, She doesn't quite get the idea of getting the rats, but I keep hoping something clicks. She is 3.

I am from the Central Ohio area and have found this forum searching for other Cairn trainers. I do belong to an all breed club, but at last check- I have the only Cairns! I am just looking to trade training tips (and training troubles) with others that can identify. The closest Cairn club to me is about a 4 hr drive- one way.

Kristi

Welcome! What I wouldn't give to have the dumbbell down pat :-) We are stuck in the big valley between Novice and Open.

Our guys all have CDs, RNs, and MEs. (Well, except for the wee puppy.) We've not done any agility. We are lazy trainers and probably go to class on non-show Saturdays as much for socializing with the people as training the dogs.

There are more experienced Cairn obed folks around, so I look forward to more training topics too!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hi Kristi & Welcome

Several members of the forum are from Ohio. I'm outside of Cincinnati, and we have members in Dayton too.

:offtopic: Hey Brad, when is the "wee puppy" going to have a name???? :whistle:

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Hi Kristi & Welcome

Several members of the forum are from Ohio. I'm outside of Cincinnati, and we have members in Dayton too.

There's a Columbus member also! :D

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Hi Kristi & Welcome

There's a Columbus member also! :D

That is exciting. I feel a little less alone:) I too am in Columbus!

We have an earthdog test coming up this week, my male isn't always reliable on the entry. He is nuetered, yet still feels the need to mark- then goes to ground- timing out. Brad, you said you have ME dogs- any suggestions on how to fix this one? Last test we timed out messing around- then later that night there was a practice- of course at the practice it was 21 sec. to the rat, 90 sec. good work, and a 12 sec recall. If only that was during the test!! Is there a "fix"?

Kristi

Each dog's personality comes into play it seems, so what works for one may not work for others. I also found that sometimes if you just wait them out they eventually start getting down to business with less faffing about above ground. Stella for instance doesn't really care for the tunnel, but loves to work the rats, so she is slow to enter but fearsome once she decides to commit.

Anything that would motivate your boy to move more quickly might help. Perhaps some tunnel work (even above ground) for treats to build speed, if he can be relied on to stick it out and work the rats when he finds quarry instead of cookies.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

are you going to Gem City?

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Yes, I will be @ Gem City! Are you going? Toby is running SE and this time I did not enter Roxy at all- she really isn't getting it, but she might go just to be a part of the fun.

Kristi

no I broke my leg and ankle back in February, crutches and lots of terriers sounded like a bad idea. lol I went last november and I will probably go again this coming November. Last time I went there were only 3 cairns there. I think you can sign up the day of the event. Have fun!

btw if you have never been there before don't use the gps use their directions

Training a Cairn. Funny!

Seriously, WELCOME! Looking forward to your tales (tails?).

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

no I broke my leg and ankle back in February, crutches and lots of terriers sounded like a bad idea. lol I went last november and I will probably go again this coming November. Last time I went there were only 3 cairns there. I think you can sign up the day of the event. Have fun!

btw if you have never been there before don't use the gps use their directions

Nikki.. two of the three there would have been me with mine!! I have a red male and a wheaten female..

Kristi

Training a Cairn. Funny!

Seriously, WELCOME! Looking forward to your tales (tails?).

you know there are some good ones training obedience with a terrier! It is a lot of fun. My fav. has to be the time I told him to "front" and he laid down and played dead! talk about your passive resistance!

Kristi

Archived