CairnTalk

Pee Beds? ewwww

wallEsmama

So I dont know what happened when he was at the breeder, but this habit doesn't seem to have let up by any means. I think wallE was reverse potty trained or something. Everywhere Ive read that dogs will not pee where they sleep, but WallE does the opposite!! He feels it necessary to pee on any surface he sleeps on. On the couch (ew) On his bed (trashed now) On new blankets, on old blankets. If its where he's supposed to sleep, He'll pee on it. Even my bed. His crate? Yep! He peed in it! Ive recently put him on the secondary couch in my bedroom, with new blankets, and yep..he peed on it. I considered it being marking, and when he was fixed it would let up, but it hasn't yet. No sense in having carpets in this house here, because he sleeps on them, therefore...yep. He pees on them!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Any help?

Edit: Id like to add, that so far, we've been basically using preventative measures to control this and not letting him into any rooms hes most likely to pee in. I've attempted to start back at the beginning of crate training, and even bought a second crate, but he peed in that also. Even with new blankets, without the smell of previous pee. And frequent walks only somewhat help. Cripes!

Puntuation MAKES the post

I have lots of questions. How old is WallE? Was he ever successfully housetrained? How regularly is he taken out to potty? Do you reward him when he pees outside? And last but not least, did the breeder use indoor pads for the pup's elimination purposes? If this is a recent regression, could he have a urinary tract infection? Regardless, I do think you need to completely start over with housetraining. I had a Min Pin who peed and marked everything for the longest time, so I can totally identify with what you are going through. :cry: I finally used a belly band on him when he was indoors and started over with housetraining. I was eventually successful, so don't give up. It can be done!! :D

WallE is almost 10 months old now. I *thought* he was successfully trained. He pees outside very well. He can hold himself over night and will hold himself till its time to go out in the am, even sleeping in with me till he sees Ive awoken. This is without any peeing in the house overnight. He was using indoor pads but got so good at letting us know he wanted to go outside, that we stopped using them. Hes taken out about 4 times a day. Ive not given up, Im just spending about 2 times as much on laundry!! LOL!

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't consider 4x/day to be enough pee breaks for a 10-month-old dog. My dogs are 2-3 years old and they get 4-6 pee breaks a day in addition to 2-3 1-mile walks and (usually) an hour or so at the dog park. I'd also be concerned that he has a urinary tract infection and encourage you to bring him to the vet for a check-up. A UTI will cause constant urges to pee. (Ever had one? Not fun!) Best to first check if there's a physical reason for his change in behavior. Good luck and keep us posted!

The 4ish times a day is average. And this is after establishing a routine around my work schedule. At least 2 of those are a good run @ the dog park close be. He was at the vet just a month ago (when he was fixed) and they said all seems good. I told them about the peeing, and they suggested he might stop after hes been fixed now. Its not randomly, its specifically where he sleeps, or the blanket he sleeps on. Im hoping theyre right. Im also considering a second opinion :S

I'd probably try taking the blanket out and letting him sleep on the plain crate floor for a few weeks. We have one who's very good, but if we put a towel (specifically a towel) into her crate as a temporary crate liner, more times than not she will pee on it. A towel to her is practically a signal that it's OK to pee on it. She then scrunches it to the back (or front) of the crate.

Perversely, knowing this has its (positive) uses.

We 'reset' her by having her sleep on a metal crate floor. Then when we reintroduced the crate pad, it was more pad-like and less towel-like.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

If he was doing that well before at holding it, I think I would either get a second vet oppinion or get back with your vet and tell them that the situation has not improved.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Archived