CairnTalk

"old age" behavior

casey01

Hi Everyone. Casey is 14 and has cataracts, is blind in one eye and maybe the other and is not producing tears. His eyes are always crusty and we give him optimumum (sp), anitbiotic and liquid tears. I don't believe he can smell anymore either. Sometimes he seems confused to me, walking in circles, not knowing exactly where he is going. I call it "doggie alzheimers." Has some issues walking up the steps, his hind legs give out once in a while. That being said, he is still a happy dog and content to be around us.

The one behavior that he has taken to that baffles me is that he walks around with this head very close to the floor and licks the floor. He does this on carpeted and non carpeted surfaces. Has anyone else experienced this? I keep thinking because he can't see or smell, he is just hunting for anything that may have dropped.

In the past week, he has also urinated a couple of times in the house which he has not done in probably 13 years. I guess some of this is just old age, but it's sad to watch.

Thanks for any comments. I don't come onto this forum often, but when I do, I get wonderful ideas, suggestions and help. Sorry this is so long.

sheila and Misty

mine did that too with the licking-your theory could be one-but I think its just another confusion behavior he also sat and stared at walls too. I dont think anything can be done about it.

Thanks. Yes, he just stares at walls sometimes also. I'm just glad to hear someone else had noticed the same behavior.

Casey sounds very similar to my geriatric cairn... deteriorating vision and sense of smell, confusion, weakness in hind legs, etc.

I keep a much closer watch on him now in case he gets stuck in the corner of the room or if he needs help with the one step up or down, to or from the living room. His bladder control is less also reliable now. I take him out much more frequently, sometimes as much as 6 times or more a day. He used to sleep with me, but I don't let him do that now because he can't see the edge of the bed and I know he'll fall off. He always slept through the night, but now I'll hear his tags jingling at 3 or 4 AM, which is his way of waking me and telling me he has to go out. At home and when we go visiting, he wears a belly band with a disposable pad.

I feel bad watching this happening to him, but I make a special effort to engage him, cuddle and play with him and it's gratifying to see him express his enjoyment & playfulness in spite of his limitations.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Yes, I was thinking about doggy diapers because I do not want to confine him.

We have never had a problem with Casey and our pool, whether open or closed. Today he was in the yard and walked right onto the pool cover. It took quite a bit of coaxing by my husband to get him to the edge so he could pull him off. Guess he won't be going in the yard alone anymore.

I agree, it's very sad to watch him like this, but we will just give him lots of extra attention.

sheila and Misty

If you have to leave him leave a continual play radio station on just loud enough so he can hear it or leave the tv on a station you normally watch-Ive found these to be less stressing for them. also left something I wore near his bed so he gets the comfort of yourscent :thumbsup: and yes the bathroom trips become more frequent.

Our westie (also Casey) is 14 years old and sounds so much like your Casey. She is also slowly losing her vision and hearing, licks the floors and carpets, and sits facing the walls. It sounds like this is more common among the older dogs. We have to help her in the stairs and do keep an eye on her. It is hard seeing them age, all we can do is make sure they're not in discomfort and give them lots of love.

Our senior (Gypsy) is 14-1/2, and is holding up quite well. She seems to be completely deaf, and definitely has some cataracts forming. Other than that, she still enjoys her daily strolls with annoying little Taz. She has a cute little strut, and likes to stop and sniff everything. We firmly believe that bringing Taz into our home has had a rejuvinating effect on her.

I had a 15 yo terrier mix who behaved the same way. She just seemed confused and not at all sure what she was supposed to be doing. It's sad, but it's just part of growing old. With a few adaptations (as mentioned above), your sweetie will be OK. Also, you may want to start carrying Casey up and down steps. It will reduce the chance that he'll fall and injure himself.

i think it is possible that the circling is related less to confusion or dementia than to poor vision or blindness. i had a shih-tzu who gradually went blind due to glaucoma, and the more blind he got the more he circled. teddy is a blind puppy who also circles. i think it is a way of negotiating space --you know that movement within the circle is safe, and you can gradually widen the circle without losing your orientation too much. just a thought. fortunately there are lots of techniques and adaptations to help your cairn compensate for some loss of senses (or just sense). what matters is that they are happy and comfortable. everything else can be managed.

Thanks to all of you. It certainly doesn't make the situation any better, but it's good to know others are going through the same thing. I'm glad he's not in any pain and I'm sure he can live like this for quite a while.

Archived