CairnTalk

"dry" shampoos

avlsarah

I know there are different types of products to clean a dog without having to give it a bath - shampoo sprays and powders that can be used without rinsing them off. Has anybody ever used these before? What are they like? Is one kind better than another?

I don't know anything about them, but I think I need to start using one. Typically, Maxwell only gets a bath for special occasions or if he gets really dirty (and then I may only rinse him off). When he is bathed more than once a month, his skin gets really dry and itchy. If I don't bathe him too regularly, and keep him well brushed, he doesn't get itchy. And, unless he is covered in mud, he doesn't seem to get too dirty - he certainly never leaves dirt behind when he lays down and he doesn't smell - so I don't see a need to bathe him that regularly.

BUT, we are being evaluated for the local therapy dog program and they require that he be "cleaned" - bathing isn't explicitly stated, but its what they TELL us to do - before we go on visits. Maxwell and I will be visiting weekly and I certainly can't bathe him that much. I know they will understand and not ask us to have a bath once a week if it isn't good for Maxwell, but I do need to come up with an alternative. Will these comb-in shampoos dry his skin out as badly as when I give him a bath, do you think? Is there a certain type I should look for that is better for the wirehair?

sheila and Misty

on the somewhat cheaper end if you arent worried about it making their hair a bit softer groomers blend hyerallergenis(its clear) no scent. also theres one specifically for wire d hair which works ok too. Mine only get bathed about every 3 months if that in between plenty of bum rinces and paw rinses and also a dampaned rag with mouthwash and I just go over back legs and paws(not face or head. helps-we use coolmint listerine :thumbsup: especially after they roll in something. :whistle:

I know several cairns and westies that are TDI dogs, and their solution to the 'clean' requirement is to spritz (mist) on a 50-50 mixture of Listerine Gold (or generic, but must be 'gold' colored--other colors contain sugar subs and leave coats sticky) and water. I use it for freshening as well; it removes any odor, the towel-off removes pollens from coats, and once fully dried, leaves no follow-up odor, and doesn't harm/change coat texture, doesn't harm skin. [Think antiseptic qualities of Listerine.] Alternately if you prefer not to spritz the dog, spray a small towel liberally then vigorously wipe down the dog with particular attention to feet and legs--especially in this 'worst' year of allergies. In no way am I talking about wetting/saturating the coat, it should dry in less than 10 mins, but do lift up the coat, so you spritz both the outer- and undercoat.

I use SelfRinse quite a bit on my dogs, both at shows and at home. We dilute it way down (so it's a light purple color). I've used it on several different wire breeds and have never had a problem.

Listerene also works great.

I've tried a few dry shampoos before and have never been impressed with the results.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

I also recommend the 50% Listerine & water mixture. I spritz it on with a spray bottle, then rub it through the coat with a rubber-faced grooming mitt before brushing/combing. I have tried the dry powder cleaners, and it's really hard to get all of it out of the coat. I would be worried about leaving a residue on the dog, which might transer onto the patients or their bedding. Good Luck, and congratulations on doing therapy with your pup.

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

For those who use the listerine mix...Bailey has mild allergies and the vet feels they are environmental so they recommended bathing him more often. Does it help the dog with allergies? How often can you wipe them down?

For those who use the listerine mix...Bailey has mild allergies and the vet feels they are environmental so they recommended bathing him more often. Does it help the dog with allergies? How often can you wipe them down?

I would imagine daily wouldn't hurt as long as you don't saturate the coat, as I said above--but then environmental allergens are usually on the outside of the coat anyway. Since cairns don't have alot of skin oils normally, a wipe down would be less prone to drying his skin too much, than extra bathing--and causing another set of problems.

I had an inherited cat that didn't get early 'bath training' and I chose not to try training her at 8yrs old (only cat I ever had that didn't get bathed!)--but she loved a good vacuuming. Being cat-allergic, and just living with it, since I'm also a cat-lover (esp. long-haired) I wiped her down regularly with just a wet hand towel, and it helped me a great deal. You could try alternating with just a 'water' wipe down, too. You can also cut the mix with more water, if you do see adverse affects. Or use a mix of white or cider vinegar & water; if Bailey doesn't mind smelling like a salad for a while:) The smell doesn't disapate as quickly as the listerine does--and vinegar rinses are recommended for some skin issues.

MegsMom...thanks for the tips. I will try your suggestions. I would rather try the listerine wipe downs rather than too many baths.

Archived