CairnTalk

Cairn mix and new baby

Guest Katie

Anyone out there introduced their cairn to a new baby?

We adopted our Cairn/possible yorkie mix when he was about 1 year old and he is 4 now. He hasn't had contact with infants or toddlers with me, but I thought I noticed him looking at a toddler once and I got the distinct feeling his body language was saying "I need to hunt that."

We are expecting out first baby this November and I want to do everything possible to prepare him and our other dog for the baby's arrival. I'm frankly concerned about what these dogs have been bred for and what we could be up against, that he will perceive the noises and movements of the baby as prey.

I have read the generalized info about introducing a dog and baby, but I'm not seeing anyone address this issue except in passing.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Katie

This topic came up a while ago. There wasn't much discussion on it here, but here's the link.

new baby

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Thanks for the link! It makes me feel better hearing success stories specifically about Cairn's and babies. Thanks again, Katie

You're welcome, Katie!

I can honsetly say that we never had a bit of problem with our Cairn and babies, and that she was very good with the baby always. She was 5 by the time our twins were born, and really loved them! But like I said, as with any animal, we never left her alone with them, just be to be 100% safe. And now, our Piper, is wonderful with our boys. Of course, they were 8 and 12 when we got her, so obviously not babies any more, but she truly loves the kids, even the smaller children in the neighborhood. Not an ounce of aggression just an overactive tongue, lol.

Good luck with your baby!!

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Hi Katie,

Our next door neighbors have an 18 month old toddler and our 8 month old Cairn absolutely loves this baby. Whenever the neighbors are out with him, and we are out with Duffy, the interaction between the two of them is wonderful to watch. Duffy is very gentle with the baby, and I believe understands that the baby must be treated this way. From everything I had read about Cairns before we got Duffy was that one of their best traits is that they are great with children and from watching Duffy with the little boy next door, I believe it. I don't think you have anything at all to worry about.

MikeC

My pup loves little kids, and is quite gentle with them. One funny quirk of his is that he hates hearing them cry. When he hears a baby crying, he starts barking because he doesn't like to hear any child in distress. It is really quite cute. :P

• 2 weeks later...

These dogs would never injure a member of the family - whether cat or baby - they are one of the "pack"! Emma loves children too. Also, she has a very endearing quality of trying to herd us. We are a very big family and the other day we went out to a large park on an island for the day and rented 2 - 4-passenger cycle-carriages (?). At first, we let her ride in the basket, but she was very anxious when she saw the others leaving us behind - she likes to keep us all together. So cute! The others were in better shape and began to pull ahead. She nearly exhaused herself trying to keep us all together! On the way to the park, some of us wanted to use a bank machine while others waited outside. She barked in a very distressed way because a part of her "flock" was breaking off from the other part - so I honestly wouldn't worry about the baby! She'll be cared for royally!

I agree that generally, well-bred and healthy Cairns are quite good with children and most likely there will be no problem. Our boy in particular appears to love children - he wags his whole body when he sees them and tries to cover them in kisses.

However, any dog (and I mean any dog) can and will bite if pushed over the edge. Where that edge is, is not knowable at any given moment in time. Imagine a dog with cancer the owner doesn't know about yet - the dog is in pain but doesn't show it: the edge moves closer to the surface. Add a little stress from uncertainty in the pack dynamics; closer still. Add a missed meal and some hunger; closer still. Add a loud noise, a squeal, a grab of fur, or somebody putting the dog in a headlock (say, by hugging it like a stuffed toy): SNAP! Yet, most Cairns can easily handle any or several of those invididual stresses without any problem and without ever being anything other than their jolly usual selves. But a loving dog who's been stressed to his limit and beyond is termed "aggressive" and destroyed. See Jean Donaldson's book Culture Clash for a (somewhat rude) discussion of this topic.

Just use common sense and remember that prevention is so much easier than repair.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

You're exactly right, Brad, and that is why the #1 rule should be to never leave small children alone, unattended, with your dog. I think by nature most Cairns seem to take naturally to children, but supervision at all times is a must.

Guest Tototoo

Our pup is 10 mon. and normally does pretty well. I have a 3 year old little boy and a 4 year old little girl. Most of the time the pup gets along fine with everyone, but on occasion... My son and him do not get along very well and I would like to blame my son, but its not him all the time. I caught Toto on more than one occasion stealing my sons toy, just to get a reaction, you could see the dog laughing. They have also been a conflict or two where Toto has bitten my son. The one time was when they were touching noses and Josh looked him directly in the eye and Toto bit him. I think it was a dominance thing. I don't encourage to much interaction with each other and so far its worked out ok. I think the problems I have run into could have happened with any dog. It is hard for a little dog to find their role in the family, and the children do come first. As difficult as it is not to spoil a pup its especially better not to with young children around. Get him used to being yanked on, anything he might run into with a child. Taking food out of a young kids hand is a def. nono. I would also suggest a cradle or bassinet especially when the baby is new born. This way the pup can see the baby, but the babe can't pull on the pup by accident (a two mon. has a very strong grip on hair) Once the babe is sitting up, he will start to understand the word NO and by that time the pup will understand it too. (My kids think every sentence starts with the word NO, and Toto will actually come to NONO.) :)

Goodluck with the pup and with the baby. (Look through the archives too for better tips, I know there is quite a few)

K

I agree with all of you, too!

I have a friend that had to give her Cairn away when she had her first child. BUT - the dog had never really been socialized with any children before hand - she would run up behind her little girl and bite her bottom. I don't think there was anything malicious in this at all! But this was her first dog and her first child and it got to the point where she had to make a choice. I think she feels in retrospect that it could have worked out but . . .

I have a 4 1/2 year-old like Tototoo and for the most part they get along! It has been a learning curve for BOTH my daughter and Calli. My daughter has had to modify her behavior (she is used to a lot of dogs - but older, really laid back dogs that you can rough house with without getting it back) and Calli is *learning* not to be so rough - I really believe she thinks my daughter is another puppy - and plays with her like she was (any problems between the two are actually because of this! - Probably because my daughter plays with her as if she WAS another puppy!) Calli can get a bit rough but it is all in play. She has gotten much better and is still improving. Luckily my daughter is one tough cookie! But there is nothing but love between the two - and if Calli had her way she would sleep with my daughter every night (alas - she is still in her crate).

Although your child is your child and is the priority - I think one key is to give some extra love to your baby at this time too! I remember a girl who lived for her cat! They had photo albums of her - (she was a great cat). Then she had a baby. Poor cat, never got played with anymore (she used to love to play fetch) and became very reclusive. Dogs who don't get as much attention can get aggressive. I think you have a lot of great advice and everything will work out! Just remember to love BOTH your babies :thumbsup:

Guest Tototoo

Truthfully, 99% of the time Toto is good. Very submissive to the children. (It will be a year in Dec. that we have had him and he has only bitten twice.)Usually very sweet, very loving Actually, my boy may be a little to loving and Toto is a little to loving back. But with any dog, you can not be too trusting, especially when it comes to your child.

Something to keep in mind too. Puppy toys and baby toys are very simular. They both have rattles and squeakies, in fact alot of the kids baby toys have become puppy toys. Teaching "No this is "Babies Toy"" and a large container of Purell will go along way. Many dogs like pacifiers too. My friend was constantly taking the pacifier from her golden.

K

Archived