CairnTalk

Cairn in Airplane Cargo Hold

Milopup

Hello,

Has anyone here ever travelled internationally with their cairn, and/or had to check their dog into the cargo hold of an airplane? I am planning to fly internationally with my pup (7 hour flight), and was wondering if he is just too little at 12 pounds to deal with being in cargo. Because it is international, he cannot fly in-cabin with me. :(

Thanks for your advice.

Hi Milopup,

I would check with the airline you are flying and find out exactly how they handle this type of situation. Myself, I would not feel comfortable putting Duffy in a cargo hold for any reason. Also another thing to consider (which may already have), is what type of rules the country you are flying to has on arriving animals. Sometimes they have quarantine periods that are longer than the duration of your visit. Unless you are dead set against it, I would recommend finding a good kennel near you and boarding your pup. It would probably save you and him a considerable amount of stress.

MikeC

:( I've only heard horror stories about this and I would definitely opt for a good kennel recommended by your vet. We have one over in NJ that a co-workers uses and her dog just loves it and they actually get a report card with stickers when they leave. It looks like a spa!

IMHO, I'd think twice about it Milopup.

My neighbor has a friend who moved to Hawaii last week. Their two dogs were in the cargo hold. The little one (not sure of the breed here) is sickly and he did just fine. Sadly, the older dog was dead when they arrived in Hawaii. No one knows what happened but they're conducting an autopsy. It's so awful! I'm not saying this to scare anyone, just to let you know if there is another option besides the cargo hold, to strongly consider it. I'll let you know what the autopsy results are as soon as I find out.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Hi. I've heard enough mixed reviews from all over to vote "NO" on putting your pups in the cargo hold. Since the cabin is off limits, is it possible to put you pup in the Luggage Compartment? This is, from what I understand, different that the cargo hold - like the cabin, it's air conditioned or heated depending upon the weather. If that is not an option, I'd definately put him in a good kennel. We recently went to Europe for 3 weeks & tho it was difficult for ME I was assured of the pups good care. Good luck.

Linda (AKA: Murphy & Trapper's mom)

MamaKim, that is very sad! Even though the little dog did fine, it still reinforces my stong belief that dogs (or any animal for that matter) do not belong in cargo holds. While cargo holds are pressurized, they are not sound proofed so these poor animals are subjected to the roar of the jet engines, which I'm sure can be very terrifying to a poor creature who has no idea what is going on. I may be being a drama queen here, but I can't see subjecting a beloved pet to circumstances like these, unless there is ablsolutely no way around it. Opt for a good kennel Milopup.

MikeC

Milopup, I don't know what part of the country you're in but I'm in CT. You're more than welcome to bring your dog to my house, fenced in yard, and I'll take care of him for you.....free!! My girls would love the company too.

While cargo holds are pressurized, they are not sound proofed so these poor animals are subjected to the roar of the jet engines, which I'm sure can be very terrifying to a poor creature who has no idea what is going on.

Yes, Mike, that was my thought too. I wondered if maybe the dog didn't have a heart attack?? I wonder what the autopsy will show.

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Thanks all for the advice, and thanks Kayharley. Alas the move is a permanent one so the kennel is not an option. It would be a 6 hour flight from the East Coast to the UK.

Sorry to post twice in a row, but just had a thought. Don't cairns need to travel internationally when competing in dog shows? Does anyone here know of anyone who had to travel internationally with their pup?

Again, I truly appreciate the advice (especially the offer to babysit :) ) but alas I either have to give up my pup or else he will be travelling with me. He has made several in-cabin cross country flights (6 hours, East Coast to West Coast and then back) so he at least has the flying experience. I know it is not the same, but I don't know what else to do here.

Thank you.

Milopup - are you moving to the UK? That your pup has flown with you is a huge plus. There are times when you have to fly your pup in cargo - espcially if you are moving. I read somewhere that when you do that - to make sure that it is not too hot or too cold out, think carefully about what "time" the flight is to take into account temperatures during flight time as well as landing time and take off time, never drug the animal . . .

Delta - for example - will not ship pets to the UK:

Delta

This article implies that if you have your pet "PET Certified" then the quarantine does not apply:

The UK Pet Travel Scheme - USA and Canada

Hope this info helps.

Flights: Authorised Transatlantic Routes

Hi Milopup,

I did not realize you were moving. I did some checking online and found a website call Bullwinkle.com that is designed solely for people who travel with pets and lists pet friendly airlines and many other items that you need to know when shipping a pet. Also, Northwest AA seems to be very animial friendly in their shipping policies and they fly to the UK. Hope this helps you. I don't want to see you have to give up your little guy. Where there's a will, there's a way. I have a friend who is a ticket agent at San Francisco International. I have placed a call to him to see if he can provide any helpful information. If he can, I will forward it on to you. Good Luck!

MikeC :)

Milopup -

This pretty much states what the other articles I posted stated - but it comes directly from the US British Embassy website.

Pet Travel I would deefinitely check out the FAQ towards the bottom of the page.

It also sounds like you would have to call the airlines directly to find out if they would allow you to carry your baby incabin.

Thanks so so much my fellow cairn lovers. Thank you for understanding why I have to at least try to find a way to get my baby to come to the UK with me. :)

I have spent the last 6 months away from my hubby going through the tests in the US to avoid the 6-month quarantine for the pup in the UK. We will be all set come October, so will just need to figure out the best way for him to travel. I have talked to Virgin Atlantic and British Airways so far, and they both require the pup to travel in cargo/baggage. :(

Thank you all again - your support and concern means a great deal to me. :wub:

Hi All,

Just checking in to see if anyone else had any further experiences with their cairns in the cargo part of the airplane (because of international travel).

BTW - was there ever an update as to why that poor dog who was travelling to Hawaii did not complete the journey? :(

Thank you all.

I haven't heard the autoposy results yet, but all signs are pointing to a possible heart attack. BTW, I believe it was on Continental but I'd have to double check that as well.

My friend at SFO called me today and told me that United AA will allow you to check your pet as "stored baggage" which means that the pet is in the pressurized, climate controlled area with the luggage/baggage. Sounds much more comfortable and safer than cargo.

MikeC

Guest girliejr

MikeC,

I am a former flight attendant and to my knowledge, the "cargo area" and the "stored baggage area" are the same. You absolutly could NOT put an animal in an area that was not "climate controlled" or "pressurized". It sounds to me like United is just trying to make it "sound" better than it is!

If the area under the plane was not climate controlled or pressurized then an animal could NEVER survive. It would lose consciousness when the plane reached a high altitude and it would pass out. Also it would be about 30 degrees below zero without climate control. The poor things would freeze to death if they didn't first pass out due to lack of oxygen.

I wouldn't want to put Jack in the "cargo/stored baggage" area, but I guess if it were my only choice as in this situation, I would have to. I would check with whichever carrier you are flying for more info. Ask LOTS of question! I would even ask if they have ever had any animal "casualties" from the animal riding under the plane.

Good luck in your travel, I'm sure it will all work out fine if you have done your homework (and it sounds like you have!).

GirlieJr,

Thanks for the clarification on stored baggage/cargo. I had always been under the assumption that these were two separate areas. But then being a layman I was only going by what I was told by the airlines. We learn something new everyday! :wub:

MikeC

Archived