CairnTalk

Another Grooming Question

SWOSU34

We have had Pippy since she was 7 months old. She is now 9 months old... After reading several tips and forums on here we have never had her clipped, or do we plan on it. We have taken here to a groomer once for a bath and nail clipping. We were told that she wasl oosing her puppy coat and she would be shedding more for the next couple of months , is this normal?....Next, has anyone on here ever used the Furminator de-shedding comb and is it safe to use on cairns? Thank you for your help...

You can brush her daily. That may help with the shedding. Instead of using the Furminator, have you thought about a Mars Coat King. It removes the undercoat, with out hopefully cutting the top coat as you brush with it.

I'm bring Oscar to a breeder on Wednsday to get stripped. She states she uses a stripping knife, so i will see how that goes. He's been stripped before by hand. I will give a update if you like.

Personally, I prefer a Furminator to a Mars Coat King. I *hate* using the Coat King on hard coated dogs because I feel like it gives a "lumpy" finish and often times cuts the top coat.

With the Furminator, you just need to use caution. Don't use it too often/too much in one spot - it will literally take out all the undercoat. Second, the Furminator will do nothing to the top coat, it only takes out the downy undercoat.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

Personally, I prefer a Furminator to a Mars Coat King. I *hate* using the Coat King on hard coated dogs because I feel like it gives a "lumpy" finish and often times cuts the top coat.

With the Furminator, you just need to use caution. Don't use it too often/too much in one spot - it will literally take out all the undercoat. Second, the Furminator will do nothing to the top coat, it only takes out the downy undercoat.

OMG if you knew how many 'holes' i've but in both my dogs coats....LOL :ninja:

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I have a stripping tool (7 teeth) that I got on Amazon that I use on Pegi. I brush her once or twice a week with it and it removes tons of hair. Great tool to use at home, and easy.

Linda & Pegi

You can use a stripping knife to "comb" through the coat to remove undercoat.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

Thanks for all of the good information. I am glad to hear that someone else uses a furminator and likes the way it works. I was affraid it was taking off to much hair.

I have two Cairns, each with different coats. The Furminator works great on Packy, who has an amazingly thick undercoat. I don't think I could get it all out if I tried. Kirby has a really nice outer coat, but not much undercoat. I rarely use the Furminator on him. I alternate between the Mars Coat King and a stripping knife with Kirby.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Thanks for all of the good information. I am glad to hear that someone else uses a furminator and likes the way it works. I was affraid it was taking off to much hair.

I use a Mars Coat King on Buffy and it seems like no matter how much hair I take off, there's still plenty left! She's definitely a yak-dog! :P

I also use the Furminator with success. The Mars Coat King is OK for us, but working with it is slower. What I've come to realize from reading these posts is that the coats on our Cairns can vary a great deal... There's no "one method fits all" when it comes to grooming. That fact may be obvious to some, but it just sunk in with me!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Inotherwords, you'll end up with a tool box of grooming tools.... :thumbsup:

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Yes, the tool box is growing as we type....How often do those of you using the furminator comb your dog? Also, should I do this more often since she is loosing her puppy coat? Thank you

Archived