CairnTalk

stripping

Tillie'sMom

Ok this is my first post and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice/opinions on this.

Our cairn Tillie is 3 1/2 yrs old and she hasn't ever had her hair clippered or cut at all. I've been using a furminator which I know isn't made for her coat but it does a pretty good job of stripping alot of hair. But around her face I still have to hand strip her hair out at least a couple times a year or she turns into a mess. Ok the problem is she totally freaks out! I try to be as gentle as possible and keep her calm but she goes nuts. I started stripping when she was a baby with her puppy coat and she has never gotten over going crazy. I don't know what to do if I don't strip it she gets super itchy so I don't want to switch to getting her hair cuts. Any advice would be great.

i just trim gently with scissors around paisleys ears, face, and legs. she doesnt have a whole lot of hair on her belly so i dont really mess with it. she doesnt mind stripping on her body and tail but hates it on her face. the area is just more tender. a grooming table is helpful though, i wish i had one!

**Ila and Paisley**

My two hate having their heads stripped. So I do a combo... I strip a little then cut the rest...

I strip so that way the have some new hair coming in...becasue they dislike it so much, I can't use my normal pumice stone stripping method... I do rake the pumice in the face hair... they aren't fond of it, but it gets some hair out... Then I will put rubber fingers on... or just rubber glvoes... then just start randomly pulling hair out... moving really really really quickly...LOL keeping ahead of the teeth....LOL

then I just trim the rest with shears. I don't pull that much out of their heads/faces... just enough so we get some new growth in.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

speaking of stripping, paisley and i just sat outside and stripped a little bit. her butt is lookin good....then halfway up her back she got antsy! haha it is possible, just have to be patient with them! and treats always help :)

**Ila and Paisley**

We've been stripping the last few days, too. Must be a sign of spring, our own version of "spring cleaning," maybe? Packy is pretty tolerant of everything except around his butt. I get around that by holding his back end off the ground by the tail, and using the MCK. He can't reach me to chew on me (he doesn't bite) and it keeps him still. Kirby is good except for his face. I've done like others have said, pulling some out and then using scissors and thinning shears to do the rest. Now on to the legs...

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

We've been stripping the last few days, too. Must be a sign of spring, our own version of "spring cleaning," maybe?

I SURE DO HOPE SO!! B)

**Ila and Paisley**

Archived