CairnTalk

Weird rice-shaped things in dog's bed!

Renee

Twice now when I've been shaking out/cleaning my dog's bedding, I've seen these tiny rice-shaped things all in the bed. They're much smaller than a grain of rice, and they're sort of the color of earwax. They are very hard, and you can break them with a fingernail. So they're also pretty much like the texture of rice. My first thought was that they were some sort of awful worm, but they don't have any worm features and they're so hard. And if they were bug eggs I don't think they would be hard. My husband thought maybe they were little pieces of the dog's toenails that were chipping off when he scratches. Any idea what these things could be? I'm rather scared that it's something dreadful....

sheila and Misty

If your dog was cleared of worms ...did any of the toys have little white beanie babie beads-? could have broke open a toy not meant for dogs or one that was made from another country without our law approvals-see if any of the toys are ripped open. also is it possible someone got into a bag of rice? do you throw any thing down to melt the snow? is the actual bedding falling apart?

sheila and Misty

forgot one more-digging outside in a landscaped area with any kind of sand or stones that could be picked up in the paws?

Truthfully they do sound exactly like tapeworm segments that have dried. They won't have any "worm-like" features, they just look like yellowish grains of uncooked rice. Unless your baby's had a very recent negative fecal I'm guessing it's tapeworm.

I have to agree. It sounds like tapeworm. Lift your dog's tail and see if there are any under his tail or around his anus. The next time he poops, look at the stool to see if any of these rice like pieces are in there.

I don't know what the treatment is since I hever had to deal with it before, but I do know that it is not uncommon. It is probably something simple from the vet, so don't get too worried.

Give your vet a call and ask what else to look for or if you need to bring a stool sample into the office.

Ugh! Tapeworm! Well how are they getting in the bed? There's no poop in the bed. We just got him from a shelter a week and a half ago. He had the standard vaccines and tests done, but I see nothing in the paperwork about tests for worms. It seems like they mentioned something about a test for parasites, though... I took him to the vet last Monday just for my own piece of mind, but they didn't do any tests.

And the bed is made of foam and it's brand new. I just fold a towel to put in it. When I shake out the towel, all these things are in it.

Well, I'm off to google tapeworm. <_<

Edit: Well, I think you guys are def. right about the tapeworm. This may also explain his weird poop that looks like it has strings in it, and I had come to the conclusion he had eaten a string and that was why he threw up yesterday. Well, it still could be that, too.

I'm calling my vet now. At least the expenses should be covered by that 30-day pet insurance that the rescue group included with the adoption. ;)

paisley got tapeworm the first week i had her. its simple. take a stool sample after the dog goes outside that has a worm in it..take it to your vet. they will test it to make sure its tapeworm and they will give your dog a pill and poof they are gone. youll probably see some in the stool a few days after but thast just because the worms are getting cleaned out. its not a big deal as long as you take care of it as soon as you find out. dont let it linger!

**Ila and Paisley**

I called the vet and described the problem and from my description it was their feeling it was tapeworm too. They gave me some medicine for Kipper, so hopefully he'll be worm free very soon! :)

Edit: Well, I think you guys are def. right about the tapeworm. This may also explain his weird poop that looks like it has strings in it, and I had come to the conclusion he had eaten a string and that was why he threw up yesterday. Well, it still could be that, too.

Yes, string like things are indeed tapeworms, they are the larger worms. Don't be surprised if he throws up the worms too.

When an animal does eat string, it's more or less in the poo and you might see a little bit of fiber... where as a tapeworm will be around the poop and at the top of it.... does that make sense? Because my two dig and consume dirt I have them on heartworm med 'interceptor' which also takes care of parasitic worms in the digestive track. Good luck with the vet, let us know how it goes.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Yes we are also on Interceptor and although I did not know it when it was prescribed I found out later at the vet when I asked because our cat had worms and I treated her. Nice to know the dogs were already covered.

Archived