CairnTalk

Potty Frequency

Switchfoot55

My wife and I got our little Jackson only one week ago. He's just turned 11 weeks, so I know that he is still just a baby as far as dogs go. We did have a question though concerning the frequency of his urinating. I can only imagine how small his bladder is, so any water to come in must have to exit immediately. However, we're noticing that he goes potty (both outside and in) sometimes between 6-12 times an hour. If we wanted to have him potty outside every time we would have to set up a tent out there! Also, when he urinates, it typically isn't any more than the size of a quarter. Is this normal? VERY frequent, small potty breaks?

Obviously the bladder muscles are still only just really begining to develop, so I know I can't expect too much, but still a concern I guess. Thanks!

It's always a good idea to take them outside shortly after they've eaten/drank water or woken up from sleeping. It helps if you also limit the water supply - don't take his water up about 30-40 minutes before going to bed and give it back in the morning. Take him outside often and for longer periods of time (weather permitting).

11 weeks still is quite young. There are going to be some accidents, but with consistency he will definitely get there :) Hope you're enjoying your baby.

You're comment about the tent made me laugh. We actually *do* have a tent set up outside in our backyard for the really cold/windy days.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

I remember when we first got Bobbi I got so tired of him with his little piddle on the floor. Then it just seemed like one day he caught on to the idea of going outside and we never looked back. When we first brought him home I put newspaper on the floor all around his crate, he couln't always make it outside but most of the time he would hit the paper when he piddled. I always praised him when he piddled on the paper and when he made it outside. It takes a while. I'm not sure I would want a puppy again for this reason. From what I remember your Jackson sounds very normal for his age. Hang in there, It will happen

Me and Bobbi Magee

Have you taken Jackson to your vet yet? I would have him checked for a urinary tract infection. Yes, he is a baby and has a small bladder, but that sounds pretty frequent to me, and the fact that he's only going a small amount each time could mean there's a problem.

He does sound like he's going way too often; our Pegi is 6 months old; we got her at 3 mos. At first I took her outside every 2 hours; she now goes 3-4 hours at a time. 6-12 times an hour is nuts!

Linda & Pegi

I agree with the "bring him to the vet" group. That's an AWFUL lot of piddling, even for a puppy. Best to have it checked out right away!

Welcome to the world of the Cairn Terrier If you do take him to the vet remember to take a urine sampple with you,to get one you have to be creative and quick.

Rich

Frustrating, but normal, I'm afraid. I doubt you'll find anything wrong with him at the Vet's. I too took my dog to the vet when she was peeing just as much at around the same time and there was nothing wrong with her other than being a terrier puppy which she will eventually grow out of. She's 10 months and just this morning peed right on the back door mat after ample opportunity to go outside.

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." - Sue Murphy

Archived