CairnTalk

Food Supplement - Lawn Saver

Milopup

Has anyone here tried the food supplements that you add to the pups' food to prevent their urine from turning your lawn yellow? I saw this in the Petsmart catalog (gee, that thing is bank-breaking!) and was curious if it was really safe for the pups to take the supplements. My pup is usually walked, but he may stay with family who have a backyard. It would be nice not to ruin their lawn. :D

Thanks.

I don't know anything about that product - but what the family could do since he is used to be walked - they could walk him to a specific corner of the lawn maybe something that is out of sight. My sister has a small yard (city house) and that is what they do with their two dogs. Just an idea.

Thanks CallisMom. Unfortunately the yard is not that large, so nothing is really out of sight.

Has anyone had any problems with their grass yellowing from the pups relieving themselves on it? :)

Hi Milopup,

We take Duffy to relieve himself on a large common lawn area in our complex directly accross from our condo. He squats to urinate as he was neutered before he started to lift his leg and so far we have not noticed any discoloration. Several years ago I had two female springer spaniels that I tried that supplement on and it did not work. Also, I think that older dogs may have a higher and/or stronger ammonia level in their urine than puppies.

MikeC

I am an avid gardener. I have many perennial beds, shrub borders and a really nice lawn but would never consider giving my 2 girls any kind of supplement/drug that is unnecessary. Who knows what this product could do to a dog who may be prone to kidney or bladder problems. Nope, I rake out the yellow spots and sometimes reseed but there is no way I'd ever put my yard/garden/lawn before the health of my dogs.

Unfortunately we got Madison at a cold time of the year. The least of my problems were where can she "go" when the temp was -10 degrees...I only cared that she went and went quick!! Seemed that "designated area" is one she chooses to remember. Oh well, yellow's nice too. :whistle:

Archived