CairnTalk

Please help the "clipper challenged"!

hheldorfer

So, as discussed in a previous post, Buffy looks like a hairy yak right now. I've been doing a little stripping each time I brush her (3-4x week) but it's not making much of a difference in terms of her coat. I wanted to take a little length off - especially her belly and bottom - but the electric clippers doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'm a total novice with this - Buffy just joined the family a year ago and had practically been shaved when we adopted her from the shelter. I bought a book on Cairn grooming and a "starter" grooming kit from Colonel Potter - which has been very helpful - but I'm a klutz with the clippers. I don't understand all the clipper jargon - blade sizes, etc.. To make it worse, the clippers are very loud and, although Buffy tolerates them, the noise certainly isn't helping make the grooming experience better. I tried using them with the shortest attachment (comb?) and they don't take any hair off; without the attachment I can get a little hair off but I'm afraid to really press down on them for fear of making her look ridiculous. Can anyone suggest a brand/type/size of clippers that would work better for Cairns? Buffy is a pet and not a show dog so she doesn't have to look perfect, but I'd really like to do a better job of keeping her coat looking nice.

My feeling is that if I make a mistake, it will always grow out. That being said, you might find a groomer in your area who will demonstrate and show you how to use your clippers.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

For grooming our Cairns' bellies & between the rear legs, I hold them on my lap with their backs against my chest, while my DW uses thinning scissors to trim the excess hair. Using the thinning scissors makes sure you don't leave blunt/chopped hair ends, and gives more control over how much you remove than clippers would. Probably one person could do this on the grooming table, but our dogs seem very comfortable & relaxed the way we do it.

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Not sure what brand you have...but there should be a screw/button/turn dial on the clippers that you can adjust the sound. This also helps with getting the clippers to cut . You should always clean your clippers before and after use...some kind of recommended oil/lubricant/disinfecting product. There are clipper blade guard that help you not get to close, they come in different sizes for longer or shorter cuts. Treats in small portions help with calming the dog down, you need to remain calm. We put ours on the table/grooming table. Making sure they feel secure; no skid shelf liner works wonders. Having a helper is always a must...they see some spots you might miss. And as they all will say...if you get to short it will always grow back and if you leave it to long you can cut more. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the tips. Maybe I'll just forget about the clippers and concentrate on stripping. Maybe I can use the clippers on our new dog - a Shih Tzu/Silky Terrier mix - with the exact opposite type of coat!

I use the strippers with 8 blades and they do a great job on our 6 month old. Couldn't believe how much hair came off. And it was very easy.

Linda & Pegi

I ordered a Mars Coat King for Buffy and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival! It has to be quicker and easier than a stripping knife!

Buffy's Coat King came today and I used it tonight. I'd like to give a big hug to whoever invented it. I can't believe how much hair came out. She looks like a new dog . . . and half the dog that she was this morning! The best part is that she tolerated it very well. No more Yak Dog!

Archived