CairnTalk

Coat King Stripping Tool?

Mark0078

Winston is now 5 months old and very well behaved. However, his coat is getting rather shaggy. I brush him often with a slicker to remove the undercoat. He is also very cooperative when we hold him to trim his paws, ears, eyes and um...backside. :) I don't really want to take the time to handstrip and don't want him to lose his cairn coat.

Should I pay to have him hand stripped or should I get a Coat King? If so, what size (# blades etc) do I need? What about the face?

Also, I saw it mentioned here that cairns have no odor....but he stinks worse than my 60lb pit bull did! :) I think bathes more often are in order.

**I'm also attaching recent pics of our halloween plans. How can't you do Dorothy and Toto!! :)

post-4274-12566946066725_thumb.jpg

post-4274-12566946179614_thumb.jpg

You're lucky you have a local groomer who will strip. I don't have one available near me that even knows how to do it, let alone want to do it. If you're not going to show Winston, you might vary between using the Mars Coat King and having someone hand strip periodically. You're sure to have a good looking coat that way.

As for the smell, you'll probably find that regular stripping either by hand or with the MCK will really help. Getting that dead coat off helps keep their coat and skin in better shape, which prevents odors. We rarely bathe our two Cairns and they smell just fine. A little clean up in the "personal area" is in order sometimes, but a baby wipe handles that just fine.

And that's sure a cute Dorothy and Toto!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Archived