CairnTalk

Grooming

Nikki

I sit on the floor with both Buckley and Gracie. I usually brush them 3x a week and will pull a few hairs out each time (rolling the coat). If my two fuss with the stripping, I talk quitely to them, rub and scratch the sensitive area and move on to the next area. However, I do not stop stripping until they are really calm and reisgned to the fact that I am the one in charge of the time. I usually strip them in my lap (which is not condusive for a lot of ppl, but works for me). I was a bit intimidated the first time, but I just saw a really long piece of hair in Buckley's eye brows and gently pulled it. It came out and he didn't react, so that gave me some confidence. I have to wrestle a bit with Gracie (she is STILL learning boudaries). Her hair is a lot finer than Buckley's and hoping it will get thicker.

This may sound weird, but do you guys hear a sound when stripping (similar to a faint velcro sound :confused1: )? I do on my dogs and often wonder if I am stripping hair that isn't ready. If that is the case, then these pups are pretty tough and endure my torture!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes dinib! I've heard it described as the sound of paper ripping, but faint velcro is very descriptive :thumbsup: That's the sound of dead hair. The sound of live hair is usually a squeal.

Note: do not be fooled, however. We had a puppy who would squeal if you waved your fingers over her back with three inches of space between hand and dog. It was a pre-emptive squeal. Some dogs will try anything. Our 8 year-old used to spin in the noose like a chicken on a rotisserie - full 360's. Other dogs will stand there like a statue. I've heard some will practically go to sleep. I have not had THAT pleasure :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

The groomer I used thought that Holly was very patient and good - apparently she just stood still whilst she stripped her. My friend Sandra did Holly and she stood very still again. I try and do her and she wants to lick my fingers all the time, turning and squirming as I do it [sat on floor though as no table] so my efforts vary. I think my clever little girl knows that I lack confidence in what I am doing and so takes advantage of this!

I do though use stripping knife and a slicker brush about once every couple of weeks round the legs and rear in particular, the slicker brush/comb/brush twice a week over jacket, and comb and ordinary brush every day round everywhere she lets me at that time! Also do pull odd long hairs out while she is lying next to me on sofa until she jumps down and looks at me with disgust.............

so my equipment is very basic - 2 brushes, one small stripping knife, slicker brush, comb.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

• 5 months later...

Wow, there is so much information here. You guys gave me a headache. Is there a way to save or print this whole talk? Would be nice for future reference.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Is there a way to save or print this whole talk? Would be nice for future reference.

At the bottom of every topic there is a set of links labeled Share this topic: Email, Print, Download. You can email a link to a topic, print the whole thing in a plain format, or literally save it to your desktop (in HTML or Word format).

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

My basic handstripping supplies are pretty much the same as Brad's. Chris Christensen pin brush (size 20), greyhound comb, McClennan Classic medium stripping knife, a small thinning shears and straight shears. I won't touch a dog with a Mars Coat King though - I've seen way to many coats get cut from it.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

Archived