CairnTalk

Shedding

Shazza

I have a question about shedding. I groom our 2 and they still seem to shed. Anyone out there who keeps a full coat on their Cairn, do you still experience shedding?

When I was researching about Cairns, it said they were non-shedding dogs.

Just curious :)

Miya

Max

Any dog is going to shed to some degree. Zach is kept in a full coat and really doesn't shed much. Granted there will be those times when the seasons change that they blow undercoat, but as long as they're brushed daily its never a bit problem. One of my favorite tools to help with shedding is a Furminator (I was actually using them before they become so popular/heavily advertised) but a stripping knife dragged through the coat essentially does the same thing. You just have to be careful with anything dealing with the undercoat...if you get overzealous, its easy to make holes in the coat.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

I brush Murphy every day before we go to bed, and notice some loose hair in the brush. He acts like this is his personal spa time! :) He sheds very little, overall, and I always assumed this was typical for the breed.

sheila and Misty

mine have full coats too-I basically trim often butt,paws and face/ears other than that if they arent brushed to remove dead hairs they will eventually fall out-brushing often will eleiminate most-change of seasons they need brushed more often. If its not pure bread cairn-their may be normal shedding issues. Everydog sheds to a point (but then again so do we-think of the shower or sink or even the bathroom floors...hair? yup everything replaces some hair at some time-but seriosly cairns are way less especially if brushed often.

I always know when i'm over due for grooming/hand stripping- they start shedding a little bit.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I tend to see occasional clumps - more like dust kitties than what I think of as shedding. I never see that blanket or layer of tiny hairs like my folks' dalmatian used to leave over everything.

lol, "dust kitties"

Thanks everyone. I don't brush them every single day, so maybe that's the problem.

Miya

Max

• 1 year later...

Hi.

I don't know if it is this crazy weather we are having or not but Spencer has been shedding like crazy (the soft undercoat). I cut his hair and used the rack like cutter (sorry can't remember the name right now), gave him a bath and brushed and brushed. His coat looks healthy so I am assuming it is just really thick right now and changes in season are causing this "mess". Hair bunnies are everywhere! Normally there is almost no shedding.

You just have to be careful with anything dealing with the undercoat...if you get overzealous, its easy to make holes in the coat.

Raise your hand or flag if your guilty of this...LOL :redflag:

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I tend to see occasional clumps - more like dust kitties than what I think of as shedding. I never see that blanket or layer of tiny hairs like my folks' dalmatian used to leave over everything.

:P It has been 2 1/2 years since I lost my old dalmatian...but occasionally I will still find her hair in the darndest places. It coated everything and seemed to weave itself into fabric. I miss my old girl...but I don't not miss the 365 day a year shedding.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Bonita, my guess is that all the grooming you did released a bunch of dead hair that was trapped in the coat.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

Hi Layla is about 7 1/2 months and we comb her with a steel comb almost every night and we can clean off the comb at least four times and it will be full of her fur. Mind you, I think Layla's coat is very thick and full and she has not as yet been properly groomed but we will most probably be having her done by the end of May - just in time for the summer. She doesn't shed like other dogs I've have.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Archived