CairnTalk

Fun, Pride and Frustration in Canada

Greg P

Kona, Stiller and I just returned from Aldergrove, BC in the quest for a Canadian Master Earthdog title. Prior to this weekend Kona had one leg. Stiller had yet to run a master leg in Canada. We had 3 tries each. In Canada, the test is more complicated as the dog must find the quarry, work the quarry, then the judge re-locates the quarry and the dog must work it again.

First up was Kona. We had an awesome hunt. His indication passed muster. He found the quarry in plenty of time and worked it the required time. He had 2 minutes to re-locate. He worked the entire time underground and took 15 seconds too long for the relocation. We had fun, I was proud of the little guy. However, It was a little frustrating as he didn't qualify.

For Stiller's first run, he did everything perfect and earned his first Canadian Masters Leg! For those who know Stiller, he's one of the most enthusiastic Cairns on the planet and had a great time!

Later in the afternoon, in almost 90 degree heat, both boys tried again.

Stiller was up first this time. He's packing a couple of extra pounds and has a lot of coat so the heat dampened his enthusiasm somewhat. His hunt was good, his indication was off and he didn't make it to the quarry. I still ruffed him up and told him he was a good boy.

Kona's hunt was magnificent. His indication was soft and didn't pass (rightfully so) in the judge's opinion. He found the quarry, worked the quarry, found the re-located quarry and worked it for the required time. All in all perfect, expect for that darn indication!

This morning, Stiller was up first. His hunt was brilliant, in fact, he wasn't interested in the den site as he must have found field mice in the tall grass. His indication was awesome, but it wasn't at the tunnel opening! After he entered the den, he worked just fine but couldn't re-locate.

Kona did EVERTHING perfect, but stopped working after only 20 seconds (he needed to work 60) in his final re-location.

DARN!

We had a blast. The dogs couldn't have had more fun. I was extremely proud of both the boys, but came back with only 1 "Q" out of 6 tries. Kona and Stiller now each have one Canadian Masters Qualifying Leg.

Oh, well. NEXT YEAR!

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

WOW, what a great way to spend a weekend. Sounds like they were having F...U...N! Wish you the best in next years trials. Congrats to Stiller (for the leg) and Kona for doing it all.

• 1 month later...

1 q out of 6 tries I can see your frustation. However it sounds like they were working very good and having fun and thats what its all about. Congrats and you'll get them next time

Archived