CairnTalk

About a year old and still not house broken! help

flyslr35

I have a neutered 10 month old cairn who is crate trained and eliminates outside when taken out. Then he comes in and about 20 min to an hour later urinates in the house as well as poops in the house. He has urinated on the couch several times as well as our bed. He is starting be more of an aggravation then anything. We have done just about everything we know with this dog. We have had several other dogs in the past and have NEVER had this problem. What gives???

Maybe start with housetraining all over again.

When he is out of the crate..tether him to you. Throw a giant party with treats and happy voice when he does wee outside. Teach him that good things come from doing business outside. he is not going to like being tethered to you at all.. But this will allow you to watch for any signs he is about to go. if he does good, slowly let him off of tether and when a mistake happens..start all over again...

Also..I had to feed my girls on a schedule so I could somewhat calculate when poo happens :)

Make sure you are cleaning up any previoous messes with an enzyme cleaner because he will just think it is the spot to go unless you get rid of all traces of his smell from the area.

Good luck.

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

Poor you, its very frustrating having poop and pee all over the house but at 1 year old this must be driving you crazy. Your dog won't be doing this to annoy you so don;t take it personally. He just hasn't got it yet so you need another approach from what your doing. I didn't crate Flynn, took 4 - 5 months before i could trust him not to do any toilet in the house and now at 6 months he's fully trained. It was just a case of bringing him outside after feeding, drinking, playing and waking up. When he started to go in the house i was never harsh, i just pushed his bum so he was off balance and couldn't pee or poop then made him follow me to the garden in a hurry with lost of excited calling and encouragement, then loads of praise when he went. It's hard work but it pays off, he eventually just clicked so i have a poop and pee free home again!! Good luck!

I agree with Puddlesmama you have to start housebreaking training all over. One thing I will add is to watch the intake of water too. Our Bailey was doing the same thing at a year old and felt he should be fully trained by now...it is very frustrating. I have had other cairns and they were trained by 6 to 9 months old and started to wonder about him. But he's got it finally! Look for the slightest signals. Bailey didn't give too many, but I started to notice that his ears would go down when he was starting to think of peeing and then I was able to get him out. That's were tethering will help you. Also Bailey would get distracted outside and forget what he's out there for.

Good luck...I know it's frustrating but hang in there...he will get it.

treat as soon as he goes in the right spot! with something super yummy and reserved JUST for that action. cheese, rollover, jerky?

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." - Sue Murphy

Archived