CairnTalk

Grooming and bathing

gusthecairn

I'm sure this has been covered numerous times....but how many times do you bathe your Cairn each year? I've had my little guy for awhile and he still smells wonderful. I do wipe his bottoms and face with a baby wipe, for sanitary purposes. Also, when was your Cairn's first grooming? Gus isn't ready yet at 4 months but his "eyebrows" are getting kind of long. Does anyone know of a groomer who will use the stripping method in the Metro Detroit Michigan area?

Jock gets a bath twice a year tops. He has no smell what so ever...a good diet makes a huge difference. Also where we live is all grass and no mud or ponds so that of course keeps him clean also. A good grooming once a week keeps his coat in great condition. Otherwise I find it pretty maintenance free!

I took him to the breeders when he was around 6 months and she stripped his coat for about a year. After that I started doing it myself.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I bathe the boys when they roll in somthing that I cannot get the smell out any other way.

Mett has had 2 baths this year and Bratt has had 1.

I just gave both the boys a bath last week. We had an algae bloom in the pool and I was cleaning the DE filter, which involves opening a valve and letting all the DE out which was green from the algae. Well, hubby came out while I was out putting more DE in the filter....and low and behold the boys made a bee line for the filter discarge on the grass......roll...roll...roll.... They only had a few moments before I yelled to Hubby to get them away from it...but damage done....Swamp scented Dogs.

Tried a number of different tricks to clean them, but no success....

Oh and Mett's other bath this year was becasue he found a big steaming pile of Poo that he could not resist rolling in. He got 2 baths that day....One from my husband and one when I got home from work.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Louie gets bathed only when he has to, like someone mentioned filthy or smelly and usually that's just a water bath. Louie has no smell except his "dirty carpet paws" but I like the way they smell. *blush*

Louie gets bathed only when he has to, like someone mentioned filthy or smelly and usually that's just a water bath. Louie has no smell except his "dirty carpet paws" but I like the way they smell. *blush*

Me also! I call them cheesy toes :kiss:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I don't know if I should be embarassed to admit this, but we haven't bathed our Cairn since she was a puppy and she turned 2 in May. I do brush her a few times a week and that seems to the trick. I don't notice her as having a bad smell either. If she smells "dirty" I brush her and she's good. That's what I love about Cairns.

I only bathe Kit when she has rolled in poo at the dog park. Now we watch her like a hawk in order to prevent her from doing this. Why the heck do they do this? Other than those times, we don't bathe her at all. I don't like her coat after a bath. It's way too "fluffy baby chick" and not rough enough for my liking!

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." - Sue Murphy

Unfortunately for me i'm in Scotland and it rains most of the time so Flynn is muddy and wet almost every day. I use a wet cloth when we get back from walks to cleam him off and his coat handles this miserable Scottish weather very well as you'd expect given that he was bred here to take it! He doesn't smell so shampoo isn't necessay though i did give him his first shampoo bath the other day (he is just over 6 months). I will probably only shampoo him twice a year at most. He doesn't smell dispite all the mud and rain on a daily basis...what a super little hardy breed they are!

Thanks everyone! I don't think he'll be getting a bath unless he rolls in something. I think he smells fabulous, sort of like maple syrup. Haha! I'm laughing about the paw comments, me and my sister call them frito toes. Haha!!

When Zach was being shown, he was bathed at least one between every show (so basically once a week) but it was done with a special shampoo. Now that he's retired, I bath him when I think his coat feels grungy or i notice an odor.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

sheila and Misty

about 3 times a year usually when they get greasy or roll in something really nasty but barf faces and dingle smear buts-get the baby wipes or warm water cloths-sometimes a butt only wash

The boys have a tendency to get a little funky in the undercarriage. They usually have some hair on there bellies and front legs that always seems to trap a little urine. A quick belly wash is about all I ever worry about.

George

Archived