CairnTalk

Normal Behavior?

calami

My eight month old Cairn Duffy, is seems to be a healthy, normal pup, but I am concerned about a behaviour pattern and wondered if any of you out there have experienced the same thing with you Cairns. Duffy will be sitting on the couch with us in an un-agitated state and suddenly something will set him off and he starts to make only what I can refer to as growling noises and want to bite at us. He does not bite viciously but he does not want to give up and usually the only thing that stops him is a time out in his crate. We have tried everything short of corporal punishment to get him to stop. At first I thought it was just puppy play biting but now I'm concerned that it might be some sort of behavioral disorder. I wanted to check to see if any of you may have had this problem before I take him to the Vet to be checked. Thanks for any information any of you can provide.

Mike (Calami)

After dinner I love to stretch out on the living room floor and watch Jeopardy. Madison will get right in my face, growl, jump on me and become extremely aggressive. Although I know it's just a playful mood, it startles me and sometimes I wonder if she'll ever nip me if I keep ignoring her. Usually it ends when I say in a very harsh voice "NO"! (notice I said "usually") There are times when play is the only thing on her mind. Then I have to get serious. :mad:

Hi! Riley will exhibit that type of "playful" behavior at least once a day - - usually when I will sit down for a moment to relax. I asked my vets about this - - they informed me that he just wants my attention for some playtime!! He doesn't want me sitting when I could be using this time to play with him!! Sometimes the nips are pretty hard - - - usually a game of "fetch" for a few minutes will satisfy him!!

we have similar behavior when Abe is getting sleepy . It is like he is fighting sleep he will nip and mouth us when he gets too agressive or bites too hard usually a scolding and telling him he hurt us and he will back it down a notch. If we try to ignore him he will get up close and nip you on the back of the arm (in that tender spot) with his front teeth, now that will get your attention quick. I know he is spoiled rotten but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Archived