CairnTalk

Max was way overdue!

Shazza

Excuse the background..lol

I groom them in the garage because my husband has a work bench in there and it's easier than dragging the grooming table out.

Scruffy Max

maxbefore1.jpg

New puppy! (Even though he's 2 years old)

maxafter1.jpg

Miya

Max

Oh my goodness, you did an awesome job! If you lived close I would have you groom Kramer :) Very beautiful markings and what a handsome fellow your Max is. Are you still in Naperville??

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

What beautiful big eyes you have Max! [now we can see them!] :thumbsup:

You have done well with the grooming.

He looks similar in colouring to Holly too.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Good job! Max looks like a different dog and so much younger. He is beautiful you did a wonderful grooming job. I groom mine on top of my freezer in the garage. What does the plastic jub do that is under him?

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

He looks great! I just love the way they look so different before & after. Max is a fine looking boy!

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

LOL Glad to see i'm not the only one who using something to keep them standing! GReat use of the wiper fluid bottle... Ihave a coffee can!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Thanks everyone :)

I really enjoy grooming the head the most, believe it or not..lol

Nena, the jug was to keep him from sitting down, although he likes to sneak around it and somehow sit down anyway. I need to come up with something else.

Rhonda, we moved back to Ohio in May. We still owned our house here and decided it was the best thing to do.

Miya

Max

Glad to hear you are bak home. If Ohio is home its hard to move away. Again you do a great grooming.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Thanks everyone :)

Rhonda, we moved back to Ohio in May. We still owned our house here and decided it was the best thing to do.

We're outside of Cincinnati in Clermont County

What a great job!! Max is a very handsome guy and I love the before and after shot. I would like to ask what you use when grooming his head? That is my weak point in grooming. I use a combination of trimming shears and stripping knife.

Mystic,

Very cool! :) I know of one other person on here who is in Dayton. We're all sort of spread out.

Hawkeye,

The only tools I use on their head is the stripping knife and thinning shears. I usually start out by just taking a little bit out with the knife, just to get some of the dead hair out.

I then put a small amount of conditioner in my hand and rub it into the fur, then I use terrier chalk which really gives me the tackiness I need to pull.

Most Cairns heads naturally grow with the bushiness around them, so what I do is just brush it forward, imagine a round outline and go from there.

The groomer/breeder who taught me said Cairns are not suppose to have a beard, so I use the thinning shears under the chin and above the eyes, I never cut with straight scissors, except for around their paws.

Miya

Max

The groomer/breeder who taught me said Cairns are not suppose to have a beard, so I use the thinning shears under the chin

LOL, sounds like we may have gotten lessons from the same person... I learned from Gail M.

Thank you...I never tried the chalk and I will try your recommendation of brushing their hair forward. I also use the trimming shear under the chin.

Could someone with experience recommend a good brand or store to get thinning shears? I currently do Currey's chin with electric clippers but would like to try the shears, since he just hates the vibration of the clippers. They do not sell them at my local pet supply store, although I have not looked at a "big box" pet store for them.

max's head looks great!!!

Very nice grooming! Mine is just a pup but good to get tips on this forum. Thanks for the info on the thinning shears also. I saved that site. :)

Ada & Skye

which Thinning Shears did you buy from pet edge? I see ones that start at 10.00 and go up to 99.00- I have a pair but they don't work that well.... I'd love to get a pair that do work!

Archived