CairnTalk

So, I hand stripped my cairn for the first time

highwyre237

So, I decided to take a crack at hand stripping our 7 month old Cairn, the girlfriend was away, so no one to complain about the mess. So that's what I did over about 4-5 hours over the past 2 days. The issue is, I didnt use any form of stipping knife, I used the rubber glove method, and after one patch there was no turning back. I think a bit too much came out...She is now in her "underwear" and is no longer the scruffy mess that's been with us for the past few months. She looks more like a wheaten Westie then a cairn. Also, I did a horrible job at shaping the tail, not very carrot shaped, more of a line. Anyway, how long do you think it'll take to grow out to where she can start looking like herself again?

Also, is there a good book a should pick up that will lay it out a bit better, or better yet a video anywhere online (i havent been about to track one down)

I hear the grooming book that you can buy on this forum for $10 is well worth it, as it goes in depth. I haven't gotten one yet but probably will as there IS a lack of Cairn grooming books that outline hand stripping. (It is on the first page of the forum, near the bottom of the first categories labeled as "shop.")

Also depending on where you live, I think seeing someone actually hand strip in person really is the best way to learn.

check out dog shows in your area, it's a great time to see breeders and ask if anyone does hand stripping lessons...

I pay 35.00 an hour for lessons or the same price to have my groomer strip the dogs herself. It's been priceless for me! I've only had a few lessons and I feel really comfortable with stripping the dogs on my own. Tails and Heads i'm not so good at.... but Heck, hair grows back!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Don't worry about over stripping. In a few months you will not know the difference and it will never hurt them to get that dead coat out. I also just use my hands but I add a pumice stone it gets more out faster. I usually strip a little at a time just 15 or 20 minutes at a time. You will always be able to get more hair out but as long as the coat is not fully blown you don't have to do that much work.

There are some pictures and explanations on this forum. Do a search on stripping.

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

Archived