CairnTalk

Earthdog 8/29 8/30

dianer

I want to go to Grass Valley for Earthdog and take my two silly dogs. I may have to leave my family here as they have a conflict.

It would be fun I think, but I usually drag them along to these things. It's a 3-4 hour drive from here but it might be worth the effort.

Anyone else here going to check it out? It is a really pretty location, we've been there once before. If anyone knows of a way to remove pine pitch from the coat of a cairn I'd like to know. Cassie is looking a little patchy after camping in the pines at Crater Lake because it came out hair and all.

Hello Dianer.....this is on my radar...but have not made the final decision to go up myself. I live about 4 hours away from Grass Vallley too so would have to overnight it, especially if I want to get both days in. Enries close on Friday evening.

As for the tar pitch...try peanut butter.

Also, don't forget that we have Dixon (Oct 24 - 25) and Woodland (Nov 14-15) before Earth Dog season closes in Northern California.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

I did not know that entries close then so thank you for the response! Our weather forcast is for HOT on the weekend but don't know if that applies to Grass Valley. I haven't decided for certain to go. I liked the motel we stayed in but it was a bit of a dive, not sure I want to be there alone... but I would have two cairn terriers to protect me. I'm glad we have Dixon and Woodland too.

A bit of family crisis here......so going for the whole weekend is just not gonna happen. But I think I am going to make a day trip of it up on Saturday. So yes...I am going to drive for a total of 8 hours in one day so that my dogs may spend 5 min in a tunnel to bark at rats. This just proves that dog people are CRAZY :P

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

That is too funny! Hope the crisis improves soon. Look for us there. I am the confused upright with the two cairns, one brindle one wheaten.

• 2 weeks later...

Cassie did not make us proud either day so I have nothing to brag about unless eating a pine cone is remarkable. What was splendid was meeting eastofeden and her kids and furkids. Hope to see you in Dixon or Woodland where once again we will stalk the rats.

Yes....It was lovely up in Grass Valley and the Dachshund Club did a fine job with the event, despite a few glitches. We did not have much of a showing. I am blaming the HOT weather (my boy decided the tunnels were a nice cool spot for a bit of a lie down) and the fact that we were the last dogs to run for our poor showing :shy: . Ah well, there will be other chances to qualify.

It was lovely to meet Diane and her two dogs (We even match with a wheaton and brindle gray apiece).

Archived