CairnTalk

Potty Training a second dog

SparkyJonesMom

I need some suggestions on the best way to go about housebreaking a second dog. We got Scout on Saturday, and she's 5 months old. She's already crate trained and has had no accidents in there (thank GOD!), but she's had a few accidents in the house when she's not in her crate. I know that part of it is obviously because we adopted her and she's in a new home and a new environment, and she really doesn't know the rules yet. But I'm worried that I'm going to have a hard time potty training her because Sparky is around, too. With Sparky, I trained him to ring the bell to go outside, and he's just perfect. I'm trying to do the same thing with Scout, but I think she's too preoccupied with Sparky sometimes. She hasn't made the connection that ringing the bell gets her outside. So I've been making her ring the bell with her paw every time we go out, and she'll usually do her businessn (and then I'll praise and treat her), but not all the time. Sparky often follows us outside, and if that's the case, then Scout is immediately more concerned about running around with Sparky. I don't want her to start to think that ringing the bell will get her outside, and that outside is for playing. I want her to know that outside is for doing her business first. Should I keep her confined to a leash until she goes potty? Should she only get to play with Sparky in the backyard if she has followed the proper potty procedures? I've decided I'm going to incorporate a clicker somehow. If anyone has suggestions on how to potty train a puppy with an already house-trained dog in the same house, that would be wonderful. Any advice is welcomed!

P.S. When she does have an accident in the house, I firmly say "NO!" and carry her outside (after ringing the bell), and tell her to "Do it" (that's our signal). I can usually tell when she might need to go, but there have a been a couple times when she showed no sign, or she went again not too long after she went outside. I know she's still really young. I guess I mainly want to know what the best way is to go about it. Thanks!

Sparky Jones & Scout Jones
ShannasCamera112-1-1.jpgSparkyScout-3-1.jpgScoutFloor-2.jpg

Well, I don't have advice potty training a second dog, but I kind of went through what you are because I have children. Of course, everytime I would take Louie out to potty during the potty training period, they would want to come out too. Well, then Louie would forget about peeing and want to play. During a nice day, we had the slider open, and he was out playing with the kids. All of a sudden, he runs in the house, sqats in the living room, pees, and then runs outside to play some more. That's when I realized he had this all mixed up. From then on we went out alone and it helped. Then later while still training we went on a visit to my moms and there are a lot of dogs there between the family. I had to put him on a leash there to keep him on point, and he got off as soon as he peed.

sheila and Misty

I didnt do it any different than the first one-its just that every time you take out the little one the older one automatically wants out too. doesnt matter The little one will more than likely learn the potty rules best by watching your already trained one....2nd is much easier...just dont forget the younger must be taken out waaay more often!

we got scotty when angel was still getting potty training she wasn't quiet 100% yet... so they kinda of taught each other. when one would go then the other would. Scotty caught on to the potty training really fast. I used a clicker... and with Scotty he at first I put him on a leash and tied the other end to my belt loop so when he started showing signs he had to go I knew pretty quickly.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

i get the impression that you need to separate the bell phenomena so that scout can clearly see what leads to what. i would suggest taking her out by herself on a leash for potty, and show her that you ring the bell first. if sparky rings the bell, take him out on a leash so scout can see what the deal is. reward her when she completes her business. when it is time for play, you lead them out yourself, no bell, and no leash. i think if you keep the signal and results overly simple, she will probably get it very fast. once she knows what is up, you can probably mix and match without having her regress. if she does, go back to the ding dong school approach until she gets it again.

I haven't had to try it since I don't have two dogs but I have thought about it cause my son wants one. Tuk-tuk goes on command (I'm sure Sparky does too) so I kinda figured that when I teach pup #2 I will use the leash again (cause that was so helpful with Tuk) and take puppy out together use our command knowing Tuk will do it. I will keep puppy on the leash until business is finished. I figure they will see Tuk's example and eventually get the hang of it. I honestly feel that with all the terrier curiosity there is just no way Tuk could've concentrated on doing his thing while being outside. But I do think having a potty trained dog around to lead by example would be a huge advantage (once you get the logistics worked out ;) ). That's how I would do it, but I know that thinking about doing it and actually doing it are very different so I wish you the best of luck!

Archived