CairnTalk

2 Cairn Puppies - Fighting: Harmless or Harmful?

BrotherJeff

My family just purchased two new cairn puppies, one 8 weeks old and the other 9 weeks. (What cute and beatiful puppies they are, if I might add) They are half-sisters and were both litter mates. We purchased and brought them home 2 days ago. They seem to be adjusting to their new enviornment fairly well, but there is one issue that I am concerned about. They seem to want to constantly fight, whether it be playing, or actually fighting and hurting one another. Our family has never had two dogs before, let alone two puppies of the same age. I was wondering what any of you would suggest I and my other family members do. I hate to see them growl, snarl and fight with eachother, even if it is just playing. One other thing I should add, is that they are sleeping together and seem to be fine eith that, very nice with eachother. I have reasearched all sorts of things about dogs trying to define the "alpha" dog, and we are trying are best to make sure that know that is us. I do not know if this is normal behavior, or if it harmless, or harmful. So if anyone could please give me some sort of advice I would greatly apperciate it. Thank you very much!

Guest Linda

Jeff,

Cairns are known to be a robust breed. Did you know back in the olden days when folks were deciding to breed them they would toss one in a barrel with a BADGER. If the Cairn came out alive, they bred that one!! They are intended to be ratters & go after & kill tough vermin, including badgers.

I have two myself...a male (3-years) & female (1-year) and they "mix it up" big time. They growl, bare teeth, bite, wrestle, and essentially look very fierce. They ARE playing!! They love it!!! My "little girl" even play fights with big dogs like boxers & labs.

You WILL know if they are really fighting. They might seem to get a little close, but they will scare themseleves & back off. Enjoy the show!!

Linda,

Thanks for your response! I definitely didn't know about the badgers, that is horrible! I really do apperciate your response, I was geting extremely worried and now I know, that they really are just playing, even though like you said at some points they look really fierce. They are adorable even if they get a little rough sometimes, but boy do they wear you out. Again, thank you very much! I won't be so concerned now.

Our little Calli does the same thing with the BIG dogs! She loves to play like that with labs - wherever we go! It scared the family when she first met Bessie, Aunt Nancy's big lab! But once they got over the fear it was hysterical to watch such a little puppy and such a big dog playing!! I agree - it is scary the first time you see them but once you get used to it - it can be so funny to watch!

CallisMom,

Thanks for letting me know about your experiences with Calli's "fighting." Boy, this two puppy thing is really new to me. And it is TIRING. Thanks again for your response. Tell Calli I said good luck taking on the BIG dogs!

My two girls, one is 11 and the other is almost a year, play very aggressively at times. Sometimes I worry about my older Cairn being dominated by the "baby" but she definately takes care of herself....will often instigate the play and totally dominate. I also was concerned in the beginning about this rough-housing .....snarling, biting, barking, chasing but once I realized it was play, I relax and let them enjoy each other.

KayHarley,

Thanks very much for your reply. Our two bundles of love are the same way. (except for the age difference.) I do now realize that it is just play, and I am trying my best to resist from pulling them apart. It is so HARD. Thanks again!

We had a 2 year old female, Scout, and a 4 month old female Cairn, Finch. They play constantly! In fact, they are running arounf the basement right now playing HARD! I worried that Scout would be too rough with Finch, but they haven't had any problems yet. Finch is, right now, the Alpha dog, but that could change in a second.

We adopted Finch so Scout would have a playmate. We couldn't be happier with their relationship! Sure, it's not fun training a new puppy, and they are soooo much work, but it will be great in the long run. Finch has to stay in the crate while we are at work, but hopefull, she will be able to keep Scout company in another year, or two, or three!

Here is a picture of Scout and Finch

Scout and Finch

Rebel amazed me just the other day. Normally when he plays he is ruff and I use to worry about our pug puppy but not any more. I was really surprised at the dog park that just opened. We have been a couple of times and Rebel will run, fight, snarl, cuss, but only with the dogs who want too ( the shy ones he just sniffs and moves on). He really seems to like dogs bigger than him the best. He meet a 4 month old puppy terrier/retriever mix and the puppy was as big as him, he was so good with the puppy

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

• 5 weeks later...

My Jack and Annie are 1+ years each. They go at it like they are killing each other. Just playing. I have Rusty another female Cairn. She is 11. Gets along very well with jack and annie. In certain situations though I have to watch the two girls. Cairns are wonderful. But two same sex terriers, you have to be careful. I love little terriers!!!!!

Archived