CairnTalk

Take pups on 6-month cruise?

Guest Puffpiece

Guest Puffpiece

My husband & I are planning to sail our boat to the Bahamas this Fall for 6 months. We have a 1-year-old & a 3-year-old Cairn. Both have been on the boat a bit & seem to do fairly well (by my definition). They both LOVE to swim, look for birds, fetch in the water & generally just be with us!

Tho I am still desperately trying to potty train them do do their business ON the boat (on a bit of Astroturf) with very mixed results. They have peed occassionally, but NO #2s!! They seem to prefer to hold it until we get to shore. Problem is, when we head south we may not always get to shore daily preferring to take a longer offshore passage to cover greater distances. Or, the weather may be bad & we may not be able to take them ashore.

I know they are uncomfortable & I fear them having greater medical problems (bladder cysts or really bad constipation) if I don't take them ashore 2x/day. Tho I give them pumpkin puree to help keep things running smoothly I'm still very worried. They are stubborn.

Further, I am constantly fretting over keeping them cool (and do this with a special cooling towel, keeping them in as much shade as possible & providing water).

I am a big worry wort & it's driving my husband nuts that ALL my attention is toward the dogs & providing them with the best possible experience.

My husband is about to give up. He is very frustrated with the increased needs of the pups (we sailed to the Bahamas 2 years ago before we had dogs). He feels our dream of sailing south again is fading fast.

I can't imagine NOT taking them!!! I will be broken hearted. They are my little buddies & I am willing to do whatever to make it work. I have a hard time considering leaving them behind. And, with who anyway? Will they even remember me when we return? What really IS better for THEM? I am very stumped & want to do best by ALL!

Question is: Do I perserve & keep at the potty training and other dog/boat transition issues this summer? Or, do I give up?

Sorry, I don't have any answers to the potty training issues.....but...

Can I come, too :P ??

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Well, your problem is an interesting one well outside the realm of my mundane exisitence or experience! I strongly suspect there must be cruising boards where experienced sailors have addressed these issues (they don't seem especially breed-related so I'd think that other small-dog-related wisdom would probably be transferrable). A quick google turned up this family that cruises with two golden retrievers, here's a book about cruising with pets, and here's a fairly lengthy article that seems to cover a lot of ground (so to speak).

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I would definitely say *Take them!* and just do the best you can! They want to be where you are - wherever that is! You'll be unhappy and so will they if you leave them behind! You'll both learn as you go along how best to do things. They'll very quickly be potty trained when it comes down to it - it's very different from the practice runs you've been making. Take them and have a wonderful, wonderful time! (You'll just have to think things through as you go along!) Happy sailing! :thumbsup:

Guest Puffpiece

Thanks all!!!

Bradl, the articles on dogs & cruising were excellent!!! Thank you. I printed the long one out for my husband. It will definately be an adjustment for all of us.

FancyPants, my hearts does say "take them along." And, your advice echos this. Guess I have my homework cut out for me this summer before we go!!!

Cathy, it's only a 42' boat. But if you can cook...well, maybe we can make room. Ha!

Puff....Hehe! I would only take up 5'4" of space as that's how tall I am!!!

Oh!!!! And, I can cook a pretty good spread...if I have to!! Heck, I'll even clean up after the doggy poops! LOL!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Archived