CairnTalk

Hand stripping question: pumice stone?

trav86

4.5 year-old Lucy was clipped until a year ago when I first learned about hand stripping. (Wish someone had told me sooner...) Last summer I started hand stripping her some myself--or at least, I think that's what I've been doing! I mostly use a pumice stone in this way: I run the stone over her coat, and hair comes out easily. Lots of it. Now, I've been reading that you need to grip the hair between the stone and your fingers. Is this absolutely necessary? Have I just been removing undercoat? Her whole coat is somewhat soft because of the previous clippings, so it's a little hard to tell what's what. Help! Specific instructions appreciated.

I have been hand stripping from the beginning mine is 2 years old now. I finally tried a pumice stone and yes you have to grip it between your finger and the stone. It works so great I can't believe how much more hair I got out than just using my fingers alone. I wish I had been using this from the beginning. And I am done in half the time which is great because mine hates stripping. Just a few dollars and it makes a world of difference.

If you just run the stone over their fur you will get a few out but not what needs to come out. Give it a try.

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

ok, I have the prumice stone, and the rubber things for your fingers. Also just bought stripping knives from col. Potter, but haven't used them yet.

With all the accessories i have, my little guy really hates when i try to strip his face chest and legs. He will let me do his back, but everything else and he is cring or snarling at me. What am i doing wrong?

I hold the hair close to the head with my left hand and use my right hand (and stripping knife) to pull out the long hairs. Don't try to take a lot of hairs out all at once because that seems to just pull at the dog and it might hurt. Plus you don't get the hair out as well. I have to say I'm no stripping expert, but I did get some compliments from a groomer at a dog expo today. They don't do hand stripping but they seemed to know what it was and what it should look like. I can pat myself on the back that I'm better than someone who doesn't do it -- ha! ha!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

you are not doing anything wrong with Oscar. Mine hates having her sensitive areas done too. I just try to do it slower and gentler in those areas. Especially underbelly I also trim with rounded sissors around the eyes and but if I can't strip enough, that works also. Just be confident and they will sense that you know what you are doing and be less reactive. I just tell mine that we are doing this and you will be fine. She tries to get me to stop but I just go right back to it until I am done.

Good luck it is worth it when they look and smell great!

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

Archived