CairnTalk

Fluoride in Bottled Water - Teeth Decay

Guest posting as: Mary

Guest posting as: Mary

I found bottled water containing fluoride in my grocery store. My initital reaction was that this would be great to help aide in the prevention of tooth decay in my cairn (she will be 11 months on the 15th). I intend to ask my vet about this, but what are your thoughts? I've always been interested in flouride treatment for my dogs. I know that brushing her teeth, chew bones, and regular cleaning of her teeth by her vet are the most important things to do in order to prevent tooth decay, but I was excited when I saw bottled water with floride! Please let me know your thoughts!

Mary

:wub:

Our public water has flouride added (as do a lot of comunities around the US) so this may be a cheaper route than the bottles. That is if you have acess to a public water supply. Abe has been on this for the last year with no problems.

There have been studies done that fluoride may not be that wonderful. For example, it sometimes causes fluorisis which is a mottling of teeth in children. Mottled teeth break down without any evidence of normal tooth decay.

I am sure i read somewhere that too much flouride can be a bad thing with animals, which is why they sell enzymatic toothpaste rather than a flouride based one like humans...... but then again the amount that they add to water is probably so small i cant see it causing problems. But thats what the vets are there for.

Archived