CairnTalk

Incessant licking

wags

Sometimes it drives us crazy. The licking never seems to stop. It's not an allergy or skin problems or splinters. He's licking OUR skin!

I don't know why but one of my cairns is a licker (the longest tongue in the west) and one is not. I heard that it may be submissuve behaviour but I have also been told it can be aggressive behaviour. I have no answers but I am sure glad that the one who likes to lick is not the one that eats poop.

Hi! Riley licks us a lot first thing in the morning when he awakens - - - we like to think that somehow he missed us a lot during the night and this is his way of showing us he still loves us!! My husband will pick him up and hold him and he just licks away - - so precious!!!

Toto times 2: Yeah. You're lucky.

:lol:

CCD: That's sounds cute. Seems like some cairns have a little "pussycat" in them.

Guest Raticus

I always thought that the licking is for a need for salt. Personally I like the concept of it being done for affection. :wub:

Piper licks for affection, most definitely. I want to get one of those doormats that says, "Warning: Dog Can't Hold Its Licker". :lol:

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Cooper is a licker too! He has figured out that I don't like my feet licked, but knows that 'dad's feet' are fair game. He will sit for thirty minutes or more at night licking his feet.

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Wes licks my feet too.

I just began grooming Wes regularly. But I think it's a trade-off. He thinks he's grooming me.

I think I have the only skin in the neighborhod that smells like tuna and chicken livers. How's that for a new perfume!

My Duffy likes to lick too, but I'm sure it's out of affection. He loves to be picked up and held and whenver we do that, we get showered with kisses. Really sweet!

Mike :P

Count in Scully as a BIG licker in a little doggie body. She LOVES licking the inside of our ears (blech! Only a mommy and daddy can love it :D ); she'll just lick your face and cover you with kisses.

When she was into her biting phase I'd tell her "Kisses, Not Bites" and she'd start licking your face. If I pick her up and put her on the bed when my husband's still in it she just runs across the bed and starts giving him a bath. It turns into a big time session when he puts the covers over his head laughing hysterically and she'll dig under the covers trying to get to her daddy.

GOTTA love these little ones! :halo:

Archived