Jump to content
CairnTalk

AKC: Health

  • entries
    677
  • comments
    8
  • views
    10,549

What is Xylitol? The Dangers Of Xylitol for Dogs


Rss Bot

55 views

 Share

A substance called xylitol is making thousands of dog sick and even causing death, affecting more pets now than ever before, and it’s probably in your home right now.

The Pet Poison Helpline confirms that cases of xylitol poisoning have increased dramatically in recent years. “In 2018 we received nearly 4,000 cases and now have more than 20,000 such cases in our database,” Dr. Ahna Brutlag, the helpline’s Director of Veterinary Services, told the American Kennel Club. “Looking back over the past five full years of data (2013–2018), we’ve had a 230% increase in the number of xylitol cases.”

“While more dog owners have heard about xylitol, they’re still thinking it’s mainly in food products such as sugar-free gum, candy, and other foods,” Dr. Brutlag went on. “More recently, we’re seeing it turn up in all sorts of surprising places—deodorant, peanut butter, personal lubricants, sleep aid pills (i.e., rapid dissolve melatonin tabs), shaving cream,human toothpaste, etc. Until recently, no one thought that their dog chewing into a tube of shaving cream or personal lubricant would pose a risk for fatality. ”

Here’s an opportunity to learn about this substance, why it’s dangerous to dogs, and what to do if your dog eats it.

What Is Xylitol?

Xylitol is a sugar substitute most often associated with “sugar-free” chewing gum and mints, but, as Dr. Brutlag points out, it’s also found in plenty of other places, including some brands of peanut butter, toothpastes, certain medications and vitamins, many sugar-free products (such as chocolate, JELLO, yogurt, and pudding), and even some household products such as baby wipes and lip balm. A comprehensive list of products is available hereVCA Hospitals reports that xylitol is 100 times more toxic to dogs than chocolate.

Why Is Xylitol So Dangerous?

According to Caroline Coile, AKC Family Dog Nutrition & Health columnist: “The dog’s pancreas confuses xylitol with real sugar and releases insulin to store it. The insulin removes real sugar from the bloodstream and the dog can become weak, and have tremors and even seizures starting within 30 minutes of eating it.” Other symptoms of hypoglycemia include poor coordination and vomiting/diarrhea.

Liver failure (and death) can also result from xylitol ingestion, and symptoms can take as much as eight hours to show up. Even a very small amount of xylitol can be fatal—in a small-breed dog, as little as two pieces of certain flavors of sugarless gum can cause problems.

feel-at-home-header.jpeg

How Is Xylitol Poisoning Treated?

If you suspect your dog ate something with xylitol in it, no matter how little it was, contact your veterinarian (or an emergency veterinarian if off-hours) immediately.

“Because the amount of xylitol in gum and other products varies so widely and because some manufacturers don’t report how much is in their product, it’s important to call your veterinarian as soon as possible if he ate something with xylitol in it,” Coile says.

A good prognosis is dependent on how quickly the pet is treated. Your veterinarian may need to stabilize your pet’s blood sugar, give intravenous fluids, monitor your pet, and use other therapies to treat symptoms.

How Can I Protect My Dog?

Read the ingredients: If you’re offering your dog peanut butter, look for xylitol in the ingredients, as some brands, namely specialty brands, are using the sugar substitute to sweeten their product. Also, check the label on products with buzz words relating to sugar, such as “reduced sugar,” “diabetic-friendly,” “cavity-free,” or “no sugar added,” for example, as these also may contain xylitol.

If xylitol is listed as the first or second ingredient, that product is the most toxic. Regardless, always notify a veterinarian as soon as possible if you suspect your dog has ingested anything that contains xylitol.

Keep gum, candies, mints, and purses out of reach: Even if you don’t typically have these items in your home, be sure that guests visiting keep their purses out of the dog’s reach in case they are carrying xylitol-containing medications or products, such as gum, mints, or candies. Also, be aware of household products that contain xylitol and find alternatives or store them where your dog cannot reach them.

Be prepared: Post the phone number to the Pet Poison Helpline (855-764-7661) as well as the number and address for your local emergency veterinarian in a place where all household members can see it. This is a good idea for all pet-related emergencies. That way, if your dog eats xylitol or another toxic substance, you’ll save precious minutes getting him or her treatment immediately.

The post What is Xylitol? The Dangers Of Xylitol for Dogs appeared first on American Kennel Club.


View the source article

 Share

0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

CairnTalk.net

  • A meeting place and
    online scrapbook for
    Cairn Terrier fanciers.

ctn-no-text-200.png

Disclaimers

  • All posts are the opinion and
    responsibility of the poster.
  • Post content © the author.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Site Guidelines | We put cookies on your device to help this website work better for you. You can adjust your cookie settings; otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.