CairnTalk

Sticks, Wood and Anything!

gd4

Pepper Bug's Mom, They are so adorable! Trina Joy is so quick and into EVERYTHING. Currently, we do not have any other pets. We have playpens, gates and leashes everywhere in this house! I keep telling my husband if we can just be patient and wait --- another two years, lol, she will be the perfect companion like our beloved Trinity and Max, who we still miss so much <3

• Like 1

They are fun but someone asked me the other day if I was a dog walker!!! Ha Ha - 2 Cairns and a Yellow Lab - we are a work in progress in the easy walking....I tried to take a photo of all three of us, but gave up....the Lab is good because he would NEVER run away so he gets unleashed at the top of the trail to the secret dog park which helps with the other two....they do get unleashed at the bottom of the trail but leashed up again after chasing the ball and then off we go at a good clip to get my exercise in!  The double leashing is a trick I learned at Earthdog to keep those Cairns from pulling - works like the straps you use on a horse's middle.

Pepper and Brodie 12.30.2017 Coat Colors.jpg

• Thanks 1

Pepper's Mom

Raising a Cairn terrier teenager is not for the faint of heart! All the above sounds sooooo familiar....

Helene, now you have me worried,  Nattie at the grown girl age of 8yrs is eating fringes......I was hoping this was a passing faze with Sam.😝😈

• Haha 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Pepper Bug's Mom: The leash from Earthdog, to prevent pulling? Can this be used for my one girl? She pulls so badly on the leash. This might prove a good option.

Adorable pic!

Terrier lover: Yes! The nasty teens!

Yes - I use it on Pepper (the grey one) and she is female but thinks she is a boy....and also on Brodie.  I have tried every harness, leash, etc. and Pepper just pulls and pulls!  I got this trick just last year after getting pulled around for the last 5 years by Pepper...it is a miracle!!!

• Thanks 1

Pepper's Mom

1 hour ago, Pepper Bug's Mom said:

... I have tried every harness, leash, etc. and Pepper just pulls and pulls!  I got this trick just last year after getting pulled around for the last 5 years by Pepper...it is a miracle!!!

I looked online for an Earthdog leash and there seem to be many different types. However, they all look like ordinary leashes. How does yours work to prevent pulling? Can you describe or show it or provide a link or resource for ordering one?

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I use the "Freedom No Pull Harness" available on Amazon in addition to the leash wrap - otherwise I am sure Pepper could wiggle her way out of the plain leash...

• Thanks 1

Pepper's Mom

Ouch.. he rather cinches the rope around his boy parts!😩

• Haha 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I really like this way to utilize clicker/treat training to be be loose when walking on leash. Her underlying approach and ethics are based on being at ease, relaxed,  and reducing tension and sense of fear in dog and me. She's always addressing the anxiety and fear rather then inadvertently doing things that increase it. In addition to getting Jack to walk without pulling, he is now more generally focused on me when we are out on a walk and less distracted.

I also employ her technique of quickly changing direction and saying loudly "lets go" when we see another dog or cat and he is starting to pull and loudly bark and that's been working great in getting him to cease and desist. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you, kawarsk, I would like to try some of these techniques with Trina. I hope I can get her to stop pulling! She is a very active little girl. :)