CairnTalk

Cairn physical traits

Czechchic888

This is Kelly, and my 8 year old son playing together the day after we brought her home. Kelly was only nine weeks when we brought her home. The breeder loved how my children interacted with the pups and her adult dogs, and how Kelly was with us, so she made an exception for us. She new after talking with me that I knew what to expect out of a terrier puppy at that age. That I understood that the biting would be a problem at that young age. Truly I don't recommend a dog leave at that age unless you are very skilled with the (bitting breeds) puppies. I will have to be honest and say that even though I grew up around the bitting breeds and help raise many pit bull, dobermans, german shepherds, and boxers, Kelly was the worst bitting puppy I have ever been around, and my husband would also agree. Even I was not quiet prepared for it. :P 

She was a little angel (with horns) but we made it through the biting phase. She is the best little pal I have ever had. She does everything with me.

• Like 7

Thanks for your input.  It was really hard  but we decided that we could not buy the puppy.  We just couldn't buy that 8 week old puppy.  There were so many red flags and it was scary ...really.  There were so many things screaming, "Something's wrong here!!"   Why did she admit they had not socialized with this litter"? There were about 100 statuettes of dogs in her living room all grouped in a marching parade. There no pet dogs... no photos ... she asked me not to put the pup on the floor cause she was afraid of dog deseases. This was in her clean looking home. She asked us nothing about the environment at our home... other dogs, children... dog food, etc etc etc. she didn't care it seems.  She kept asking which people we were when we called. She couldn't remember who we were the next day... which breed were we looking for???... she has 2 to 3 other breeds she breeds out in the "building"...she felt it necessary to bath the puppy after we arrived...... I thought something is not right... but I didn't want to see it... she is an hour from where I live ... I don't think she would permit me visiting since  they are too busy and not at home (say if I wanted to allow the pup a few weeks extra with it's mother) ...That puppy really needs her mom and I hope she doesn't find another buyer for a while. and I pray the puppy is more social than what we witnessed. I have to chalk this up to experience and many of you have given me good feed back... my next pup will be from out of town... there are no legit cairn breeders selling puppies in this town there are some other Cairn breeders about 5 hours away.... north and northeast. ...I'll keep you guys posted...

• Like 6

Such a difficult but wise decision. I'm sure we all stand behind you. Go looking again. Take your time . A special cairn pup is waiting for you out there somewhere.  Good luck and best wishes. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

So glad you made this choice -- and such a hard one.  You and your family will find that special cairn.  Stay in touch here, watching puppy photos and videos til you get your dog, then post photos when you do!