CairnTalk

Rearing younger siblings

Donna Crume

Ah the dog's life . . . .

Got Grahame at noon on Mon (3/21), and he slept through the night.  Last night, or this a.m. he woke me up in the wee hours to do just that, and drop a load.  Mom is taking him out about every 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hrs, sure does like to pee!  Other than his first real b.m., all of these have been outside.  Could not find his original food, so transitioning  the best we can with what little came with him.  They played together today on their own, what a neat thing to see. Went to pick him up later and she got an ear!  His favorite place is under a wooden rocker, and he runs when mom comes to pick him up.  That is Torrin's signal to nail that little ear of his, he has caught on to that one very quick.  Worked with her on this with her brother Yorkie, never mastered.  Grahame is going to be bigger soon, so hope that will help with the ear thing, and mom's continued interfering.      :wub:

• Like 4

Ok, taken last post from the other 'sick' one, and transferred here to the new and improved one.  

The ear challenge continues, today even morphed into "my toy" ear pull.  Come on growth!  Mom is happy, all b.m.s outside, she also seems happy that she thought up (yeh, right???) her home made pee bands with new born diapers in them.  She is happy that at least the floors are a little cleaner?  My time out with the larger blonde is regulated, the rocker provides cover, but I now know to follow mom, some of the times, she has interesting places she goes and takes me to?  

525.jpg

527.jpg

530.jpg

• Like 6

Rosie says hi to her brother. :wub::wub:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Welcome, Grahame!  You look like an adorable, feisty little boy who is going to give Torrin a run for her money - as soon as you get a little bigger.:)

Buffy would like to echo Angus' suggestion about going for the tail, by the way.  Gotta get even for that ear pull!

Grahame you can come and play ball with me any time. :D:D

Rosie

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Ah, to all the helpers out there, sure pull a tail, I don't think my legs are long enough yet to out run her if I should do that.  I don't know why mom has that tether on me, okay so I don't know my name totally yet, or how to return on a call, such little things right???  I know mom appreciates me waking her up at 4:30 a.m. to do my business.  Where does she has to go, she stays by my side during the day, so take a nap aready.  All I want is her lap, is that too much to ask?   B)

• Like 1

Hiya Grahame! You are adorable. Don't worry; you'll soon get the hang of things.  Soon you'll be bigger and stronger and be able to start throwing your weight around. :D

• Like 1

Interesting that Graham likes to be under the rocker, of all places! I'm such a worrier that I would be afraid for his tail under there.

There's a good reason for that old expression: "As nervous as a cat in a room full of rockin' chairs"!... What if a visitor, or someone not paying attention to Graham, sat down and started to rock...OUCH!?

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Well the rocker was the closest object that I could get under and still see the room.  You don't know the kind of housekeeper this of mine is.  It looks to me like the rocker is used to hold stuff and not so much peoples at this moment.

Yeh, waiting for the growth.  I do not think mom would like me throwing my weight around when I get there.  She does not seem to happy with the blonde chick when she throws her's at me.  But then I am young, and might not have a true lay of the land yet??   :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we are again, and it is mom this time.  Torrin, older sib is doing a little better in her all around dealings with Grahame.  She does not have to go out with us in the wee hours as she did the first few days.  She even lets me take him from his kennel some times without getting an ear or other bodily appendage.  I an still feeding him his twice daily meals in his kennel as Torrin can be food aggressive when she thinks she should get it all or it is hers.  I will perhaps next week, start feeding him some of the times kennel-less and see how it goes.  We go to the vet Mon 4/11 for our 2nd distemper shot, the 3rd will be 5/11.  Will also see about having the plumbing disconnected and a microchip at that point.  Still on a time schedule for bodily times, and not doing to badly.  He rang the bell on his own yesterday once, ok only once but a start, to go out.  Yes mom taught all to ring a bell, how do I know if in another room??

till later . . . . .  :P

539.jpg

539.jpg

• Like 7

I love Scottie ears. :wub::wub:

• Like 2

Mom here, I seem to be challenged in all that I do, by fur kids and self!  Meant to send one snap, see I sent the same one twice, ah challenges.

Well Jr had his 2nd vet apt today for his 2nd DHPP shot.  Rained all day, still think the Cards won the opener, yeah?  Moving on, so we came and went in the rain after contending with a really snippy older sister.  We have put on 1 lb - 6 oz, I thought he felt like more.  He has his 3rd and last DHPP shot on 5/11, and a quick in and out 5/18 for rabies.  Will have to make an apt at that time to have the plumbing fixed and micro chipping, and he should be good for a year.  He is finding his grove more and more, he tries to initiate play, which sometimes goes well.  He vocalizes at her which is just a hoot.  Did not know the breed made sounds like that!  Today just was not his day for play, he even heaved his cookies in his carrier coming home.  Mom has taught all her outsiders to ring the bell to go, and by george he has started to do this, sometimes that is.  Sis just goes to the door or comes and stares at me for a while, he is getting there.  He is in mom's home made pee band, which apparently impressed one of the young girls at the vets, who told me I could sell them, and she knew quite a few that would by them?  He has 3 which allows for washing, just hope I do not have to do the same for sis????  Well, like I said just another day at the ranch, and the patterns of the days flow on the same and rather well, with the occasionally ghee whiz like today was.     :D<_<     

• Like 2

Toys and other things.

Well, this is the topic for this week.  So far have done, I think a rather good job of keeping the respective toys to the respective critter.  He approaches hers, but is quickly turned from them, curtsey of her.  She has taken one of his ($1 store special), but quickly turned from it, curtsey of mom.

Buying her food at Pet s’Mart, got him a hard ball, about the size of a golf, that is suppose to make 20 animal sounds, per pkg.  Well, it scares the bageebees out of him, and she is in like!  She wants to ’de-squeak’ it, which she cannot.  The pkg warned about trying to chew/swallow, and to place it in a pair of socks should it be needed due to this.  Mom did, now she tries to dig it out, and the house sounds like a cross of a barn yard/Tarzan movie/Noah’s Ark on steroids.  And yes it is deafening and unceasing.  This thing only makes noises when moved/touched, or dug on.  She gets worked up, back to her breathing with her condition, and never say die Cairn attitude.  Sooooo, she gets a few minutes with it, then on a shelf where only mom can reach.    

He has discovered an area that mom did not apparently clean too well on the carpet.  In the next year or so, hope to take it all up and redo the hard woods.  Until then he has found his now ‘favorite’ spot, and pulled all the fiber off down to the matting/netting.  It is about the size of a $ .50 piece. Ever notice you do not have the cent figure on these new key boards???

One more, then I’ll let you go.  This one is on mom!  1/15 had surgery on the R wrist, and of course I’m R handed.  Love almonds, so pre surgery took a new pkg and parceled it into snack bags, and hung it in a grocery store bag on the pantry door knob.  Surgery early a.m. of course, back home and I finally surfaced about supper time.  Went to feed her and found the decimated bag/s on the floor, and Torrin is looking sheepish.  Does not touch her food, and into the evening starts giving me those hang dog corner of the eye looks, as she hugs the baseboards.  Well, she finally stopped and heaved.  A lovely little pile of almonds appeared, beat her to re-eating them.  Heaved another time before bed, and seemed better in a.m.  Check with vet, can take some, but not a lot of almonds, the system will not digest.  She was okay, but I cleaned up PayDays for the next 4 days when she went outside.

Ah life and children are a joy!    :P

• Like 2

poo and other oral things

Well as you can see, we have a very broad and interesting topic this week.  The mature one seems to be able to take or leave the younger one.  She even went so far last Mon morning, when he left his remains of the day (do I need to spell it out???)  she very calmly and coolly walked over and ate it.  Uck!  Now she has been doing that to the rabbits for years, I just never though her brother.  She is good to 'leaver it' when commanded, which I am trying to be more mindful of now.  Sure do not want any kisses after this sort of feast.  He has also perfected the most appropriate posture when needed with her, on back, head flat to floor, front feet tucked to chest, back outstretched, and when needed after an attack screaming like the little pink stuck pig.  Then mom may swoop in and try to snatch him up without another attack!

The oral-ness (wd?) of youth continues.  Mom is cheap, so what is new?  She made him some chew items with some nice fleece.  He enjoys them a lot, and no squeakers to kill.  Watched last night as he was chewing his little piranha teeth out on them.  When it was bed time and clearing away the toys, mom noted 2 strips gone from one chew.  1 strip was about 4" and the other 6", and no where in site.  Ok, now mom is in worry mode.  He had tried to eat some smaller ones last week, but upchucked them.  So far these have not put in an appearance from either end.  Eating like no tomorrow, water as usual.  Check with vet, and now have to give 1/4 t Meta mucil 3xs a day for a week.  Vet did not seem too concerned about it, even suggested that should it present (ya, you got the picture right) its self, I can try and help it along with gentle tugs??????  Needless to say all mom made toys are now off the floor and limits.     :vampire:     

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Donna Crume said:

Vet did not seem too concerned about it, even suggested that should it present (ya, you got the picture right) its self, I can try and help it along with gentle tugs??????     

Yes, we have all had to do this from time to time.  DH and I have performed many "yarnectomies".

• 2 weeks later...

Well, life continues on, and what has changed?  Torrin is still jealous, Grahame is still mouthy, as in if he can get it in for a chew, yep.  We are working with him sporadically, and I know that I should be stepping these sessions up.  He has come pretty good, when he wants it.  He does a good sit, when his food bowl is being rattled over his head.  He is use to being brought up short on his harness, does not do to bad (???) on a regular leash and neck color, as long as there is a treat/carrot in front of him.  He has been out of his pee band since the middle of April, and is getting the point of outside better.  He now knows/realizes he can give the out/pee indicator, and go out and watch the world go by.  He lovessss to chew the bell at the door, my last nerve only goes so far, but he has now gone to just sitting and staring at me.  Ain’t it great mom can read pee pose?  Still loves to run around a rocker, and is truly surprised when he meets his sister no matter the direction he goes, who needs t.v.?  He is finally growing into his face, and has the biggest feet and heaviest tread.  He is a hairy little bugger.  I will soon have to decide what to do with his coat as the warmer weather moves in.  Torrin I just use a Mars Stripper on to semi thin her coat, but his is much denser.  Do not know if this would work for him, or if I need to start thinking of a trimmer?  Groomer I like is currently on the back side of her own cancer treatments, so will have to see.  Suggestions?  

012.JPG

• Like 6

You certainly can see how these two breeds are related. Shorten or lengthen the nose, make the Cairn stockier, or the Scottie lighter and there you have it. A SCAIRN!

• Like 3