CairnTalk

Explain Markings

kjwarnold

I'm getting ready to register Kirby with the AKC and I'm trying to decide what his markings are. AKC lists three options:

1. Black Markings
  2. Black Mask
  3. Black Points

I can figure out black points (Packy has those), but what are black mask and markings? Is black mask just on the muzzle or over a larger part of the face? And are black markings just a few, like only on his tail or only on his ears? I'm also torn between selecting cream or wheaten. Packy is definitely cream, so maybe Kirby (who is barking at the vacuum right now) is wheaten.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Just answer "all of the above". This should prove true at some point in Kirby's life!

Look at Kona's avatar to the left. He was a wheaten with black tips (ears and tail) and mask as a puppy. He's black / charcoal now and gets blacker by the day.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

When you get your Cairn here in Ireland they are registered already by the breeder. So you just send off the form to have the details changed over to yourself. So Ben was already down as a Red Brindle.

sheila and Misty

Misy was on paper at birth wheaton brindle- with a mask he mask moved under her chin then she was charcoal gray with black points and paws ahe has a pink belly one time a grayish belly every other month her hair gets golden blonde down her back when her bellys dark ,when her bellys pink shes mostly like a platinum blonde now her basic color IS wheaton brindle-( at first thats what made me chip her-I didnt think if she got out as a pup I would be able to identify her as she grew to a year old she changed so drastically every other week it looked like I had several different dogs. Id say after about a year or so she mostly stays presominately by 90%wheaton. If you were refferring to if your in show and they have markings all I know about that is the face mask seems to be popular.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow thats a choice! lol, we generally just put 'brindle' on our registration, that seems to cover most, lol (unless its a true wheaton...)

>http://www.freewebs.com/aimforcairns/

I found an old pic of our "wheaton" cairn terrier with black points, Kona at just over a year old. At 3, he's going blacker by the day.

post-2067-1226386288_thumb.jpg

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Archived