CairnTalk

Cairn's weight

Posey

We just returned from getting our 4 month old Cairn his last puppy shots from the vet., the first vet said that he would got about 20 lbs when grown. This vet. said that since his weight was 9 lbs this time (last month was 7 1/2 lbs) that he thinks he will go about 15 lbs when grown. Any ideas from other forum members who have male Cairns and what they weighed at four months and what they weigh now grown?

Thanks

posey

Thanks Kristi for answering my post. Is your Cairn a male or female, little females are a bit smaller. I just worry about mine eating he is spoilt and a picky eater. And I accept fault for that. But are they not the cutest little things in the world?

Posey

Our 3/12 month old male is 9 lbs. The breeder said he should be about 16 lbs. full grown. How much do you feed your pup? We keep the dry feed at about 1-1/3 Cups a day.

Hello Bonnie, Your little fellow is doing really great for himself on his weight. I feed Nicky three times aday. Plus he has his dry food out all the time, I feed him just about the same foods that we eat. Like for breakfast an egg and a piece of turkey bacon. And he loves home made soup we make it with chicken or turkey. And sometimes I fix him chicken livers. Then at night he eats his kibble, I know I've spoilt him. And on the net I've ran across some pages that said its okay to feed them food you eat. Fresh veggies, fruit and meat. Nicky doesn't get any processed foods at all or none with any trans-fatty acids. I will let you know how he thrives. Also Iv'e tried any canned food for pups that they have. He will barely touch them.

thanks for your interest,

Posey

:angel:

My Jake is 23 weeks old and 12 1/2 pounds and is in great shape. I don't expect him to grow too much more but at think the food will be cut back on a little at a time for a while so he never gets fat. I HATE :twisted: fat dogs!

Hi there, the way I figure your Jakes age, he is like between 5.5 and 6 months old. My daughter has had three Cairns in 20 year period. She said that for maturity you can add 2 to 3 lbs for their mature weigh when they are 6 months old. Her dogs are not ever fat-just healthy looking. Cairns with English stock in them usually go close to 20 or so pounds at maturity for males. If not Englsih stock about 15 or so maturity weight. For what its worth.

Good Luck with Jake!

Posey

• 1 month later...

We have a 12 week old female (that we love of course!) She only weighs around 3 lbs. This sounds low to me. She is healthy and eats fairly well most of the time. What is average for this age?

Hi Mona, I guess your little female is a Cairnn Terrier? I read that the little females are smaller then males of the same breed. If the vet says that the little puppy is normal. I wouldn't worry myself-just feed her good.

Posey

I have a female cairn and have tracked her weight. For those that are interested: 12 weeks=6lb; 18 weeks = 10lb 2oz; 22 weeks = 12lbs 2oz; and now at now at 26 weeks she's 13lbs 6oz. She looks very lean and I think her heavier weight is due to how long she is (15 inches).

I'm hoping she doesn't get too much heavier because I want to continue taking her on the plane with me when I travel.

• 1 month later...

Well our four year old weighs in at 30 pounds. He is a male, pure bred and the vet claims he is only around five pounds overwieght. I question his purity. Could he really be all Cairn and be this large?

Thanks Kristi for answering my post.  Is your Cairn a male or female, little females are a bit smaller.  I just worry about mine eating he is spoilt and a picky eater.  And I accept fault for that.  But are they not the cutest little things in the world?

Posey

We have a male Cairn (now twelve years old) and has always weighed about 20lbs. (we adopted him at 1.5 years). We feed him ONLY Solid Gold Hundenflocken dry dog food two 1/2 cups per day and he's maintained his weight just fine. :)

Well our four year old weighs in at 30 pounds.  He is a male, pure bred and the vet claims he is only around five pounds overwieght.  I question his purity.  Could he really be all Cairn and be this large?

Hi! Our male Cairn weighs 20lbs and not over weight at all according to our Vet. He is approx 12 years old (we adopted him at about 1.5 years old). We've maintained his weight the entire time feeding him only Solid Gold Hundenflocken dry food; 1/2 Cup, twice a day. Okay... occasionally I slip him a piece of bacon Sunday mornings or let him lick the kids' ice cream bowls. :wink:

• 14 years later...
Account Deleted

The breeder told me, they have a tendency to gain weight. She told me a cup of food once a day that's it, she also told me to cut up raw grn beans, and put it in his food. The only other thing I give Otis is a baby carrot and some melon that's it she told me I'm supposed to feel his ribs and his backbone.  Once they start gaining weight it's hard to get them back on track. I took him to the vet last month  and he was almost 4 months old, he weighed a little over 8 pounds, but I do walk him twice a day  that will increase once the heat goes away. I am also home with him all day so we can play with his toys and he does  get a workout. 

According to the vet I was supposed to be giving him a half a cup three times a day which is way too much dog food .  I am stopping this right now,  as I do not want him Overweight.  I also put salmon oil in his food .

Hope this helps !