CairnTalk

what points do u look for in a show quality puppy

justice2275

hay all i am trying to figer out what do breeders look for in a show quality puppy and can u tell how your puppys coat is going to be when he grows up

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

When I am trying to choose my pups, I am looking for good shoulder placement and front assembly, lovely deep stop, plenty of turn in the stife (I like my Cairns to have wonderful reach and drive, so front and rear construction is very important here) Teeth....

What do you mean by how can you tell how your pups coat is going to be? As in colour? You cant really, unless they are a Cheaton which generally dont change as they grow. Some Wheaton coats I find are terrible and have to be ripped out twice as a baby puppy to get a good texture.

>http://www.freewebs.com/aimforcairns/

• 3 weeks later...

You might try going to a dog show in your area, after the Cairns have shown ask some of the people who showed in the bred by class what they look for in a good puppy. I learned more from actually having people show me with a dog and I can see what they are talking about. Don't ask just one person ask several, it takes time to do it that way but it will stick with you.

As for color they can change colors, many go dark with age. If there is alot of brindle in the coats then there is a chance they will be dark or black as an adult. My red girl has stayed red but my red boys coat is coming in with black now after this last stripping so who know

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Archived