CairnTalk

Westminster 2008

bradl

Looks like Cairn breed judging is complete. I won't spoil the suspense for those who like to be surprised during the telecast.

If you don't care about that, WKC posts short videos of the breed judging for each breed. It may take an hour or two to show up, but you can check this page periodically to see when the Cairn link goes live: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2008/...reed/index.html

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you so much. People have changed, thank goodness the breed stays some what the same...been a long time since I showed (correction - since the puppies showed their stuff).

**cough**cough**RIP-OFF**cough**cough**

Maybe it's my partiality showing (ya think!) but I think the Cairn got a raw deal. That is one fine looking animal. At least the little guys dominated the placings again & a Westie did make the cut.

The Cairn was a real cutie but not surprisingly was overlooked by the judge. No Respect!! Well, at least we all know who the Best of Show is everyday. The Norfolk Terrier that finished 3rd. was great too, and not even 1 yr. old yet! We originally thought we wanted a Norfolk when one was the winner at Westminster a few years ago, but they are even harder to find than Cairns, and much more expensive. We decided on a Cairn (Bailey) and have never regretted it one bit, as is evidinced by the fact that we added another (Sophie). We're so happy we couldn't afford a Norfolk!!

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

I was in the same boat as Jim, I actually got Scooter and then wanted to add a Norfolk but could not find a breeder nearby plus the puppies were $2500 that I found and over 4 hours away. Then the breeder I got Scooter from told me that she had a litter, i went down and fell in love with Sadie so I am very glad I couldn't afford a Norfolk as well. Sadie is my little princess...

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

I know what you mean about norfolk/norwich terriers. My Grooming teacher breeds Cairns and Norwich Terriers... Last Sept Iwas there to get the boys groomed and she had Fiona a 3 month old Norwich who I just fell in love with.... price tag? $2,500.00 Pet quality.... She was a cutie and had a Black Saddle.....

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

We originally thought we wanted a Norfolk when one was the winner at Westminster a few years ago

Which is why I'm happy cairns don't win the big ones all that much! Too many people would think our cairns are cute!

No better dog fits the "underdog" role than a scruffy cairn. I'm happy we don't suffer the over-popularity problems that the big winners have. Heck, we rarely place in group in even the smallest shows. I like to think of cairns as the closest thing to purebred "mutt".

Someone ought to send that little boofed up white dog down a rat tunnel...

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

I feel bad for poodles. I know some great ones in obedience, I met a Search and Rescue poodle. In a regular coat they just look sporty (and they come in three convenient sizes). But man, that haircut strains credulity. I don't buy the insulation explanation, either.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

But man, that haircut strains credulity. I don't buy the insulation explanation, either.

I agree with you, most likely it was some extreme French fashion trend and it just stuck. The Cosmopolitin trim is much more respectable looking.

All I really know about the Poodle's personality comes from Travels with Charlie by Steinbeck.

.........and, I've seen many an old time cairn breeder just grab the dog from the floor to the table and back down, without much regard to mussing the coat. Sure a quick comb through, but it's often not all that dainty if you follow where I'm going.

Now on the other hand.....some breeds are just prissy!

And perhaps winning in the group ring and BIS is the reward for hours of bathing, clipping and sculpting for the 2 minutes in front of the judge.

BradL......the insulation argument never made much sense to me, either. How do they explain that top knot?

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

I look at the poodle cut as a snob thing. I always feel sorry for them when I see them cut like that. Especially the males. Kind of like making an NFL running back wear a pink tutu and a lace shirt. I have been around a couple of standard poodles with a natural short cut & they are really pretty cool large athletic dogs.

Thank you for the video!

The dogs was little bit different as Finland. What do you think about the winner if I can ask?

Heidi &cairns Sissi and Inkku+english cockerspaniels Mimmi and Donna

What a beautiful dog the cairn best of breed was! I know we're all partial, but he sure showed a lot of spunk and looked happy to be there. I loved the slow wag he gave the judge near the end of his 2 minutes. Jack does the same thing when he's being introduced to someone new...

I always find the judging at Westminster to be very odd. Years ago a good friend's dog went B.O.B at the CTCA speciality in Montgomery in October and then in February at Westminster the same dog didn't even get an Award of Merit. (I think it was even the same judge.)

It makes me wonder what an "Award of Merit" is supposed to signify. Westminster is all champions - so could it really be out of all those present on the day only one was worthy of an Award of Merit? I don't get it.

Cairns get a raw deal when it comes to group judging. Westies - overgroomed IMO - frequently place and Cairns, almost never. Makes me wonder if Cairns were more "tarted up" like a Westie if they would start winning more Group placements.

What a character that Beagle was! The little guy pretty much dominated the Westminster experience, comnplete with a crowd standing ovaton.

Do you think everyone was so excited because he looks like a dog? (not fru fru)?

Had to admit that I was pulling for him, myself.

Greg and Val Perry

Hard not to like a beagle (so long as it goes home with someone else) :P The Weim was poetry in motion. Full credit to the Cairn though - I like it when a dog's personality leaks through. A little mischief is always appropriate with Cairns, I think.

Cairnmania I'm afraid you're right. Tarting up may be the price of admission to group-level success. I've seen some get group placements (and at least one best in show) without being overdone, but it's hard, and rare. As it should be. It's seems sort of like being Vanilla at an ice cream contest.

I honestly don't really see any point to dog shows beyond breed judging (other than the obvious financial and 'spectacle' aspects). Of course I don't have a Special either, so I may change my mind later :P

A close friend of mine owns the English Cocker that was 4th in the Sporting group. The members of my training club and giving her a surprise congraulations party Sunday. The dog had come off almost a year of retirement and now goes back to being her "bed buddy" for the rest of his days. He is gorgeous doing obedience and does pretty well in agility, except that the high contact obstacles make her so nervous that he will get hurt, that she can hardly stand to show him. Of course he is also the foundation of her breeding program.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Did anyone else think the Cairn BOB was a bit naughty for jumping up on his handler and sniffing the floor on the down and back? I know I am an obedience person, and that stuff is a no no in the o ring but I didn't see any other terrier jumping up like that,...A few years ago a Cairn peed in the breed ring. I would be so embarrassed if one of my dogs did that..not to mention its an NQ!

A few years ago a Cairn peed in the breed ring. I would be so embarrassed if one of my dogs did that..not to mention its an NQ!

Oh then you missed the one who poop'd in the Breed ring at Westminster a few years back!

A few years ago during the walk around one of the cairns started barking and lunging at the big black dogs in the next ring. Judge Fred Ferris turned around and panned to the crowd and said, "Now THAT'S a terrier for ya". He gave him BOB that day.

The same judge finished Kona in a major after Kona puked in the ring. He asked Val, "How do you expect to win with a puking dog?" Nevertheless she beat Bill McFaddon that day.

I've seen lots of dog poop and pee and act up. I've also seen alot of handlers encourage their dogs to jump up on them and many of them play with their dogs when out of the spotlight. The breed ring is definitely not obedience!!!!

I will say that since Kona has achieved his RN and is 1/2 to his RA title, he is much, much better in the breed ring. He's showing now with more confidence and pizazz.

Greg and Val Perry

Archived