CairnTalk

How Big a Bag?

kjwarnold

Brad's answer about keeping food fresh and the different buckets got me thinking about what size of food bag everyone buys. We buy 5 lb. bags and keep it in a plastic container with a snap-on lid. DH would like to buy a bigger bag, but I'm afraid it will go bad because we're keeping it longer. What does everyone else do? Guess it makes a difference how many Cairns you have -- we just have Packy.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I usually buy the 20 lb bags but the store I get my food from ordered me a 40lb bag last time, which I still have about 1/2 left. I keep it in a special Rubbermaid container that has a scoop and is made for pet food. I have never had a problem with it not being fresh but I guess I wouldn't know. They never stop eating it. The expiration date is usually really far away still by the time it is gone.

I buy Canidae and it is not available at a lot of places so for the convenience I always go for the bigger bag, plus its more cost efficient. I see no problem with it and I will continue to buy the big bags.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

I buy a 30 pound bag of Nature's Variety Prairie. It has a ziplock top which is nice and with 3 dogs eating from it (we also have a black lab) the bag never goes bad, it usually is used up before a month.

I buy 30 lbs. I have three dogs (only one Cairn). We use a high end storage container to hold the food. Every last drop seems to be enjoyed by our dogs, no matter how long it takes them to get through 30lbs.

dsc01076uf3.jpg

Great topic and I am eager to see the responses too...

I feed Remy the Canidae and buy the 15lb bags. I take about 1/3 out at a time to store in a ready to use air-tight container. The bag self seals but I make sure to take all the air out of it and reseal it tightly.

Madison gets Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken but their small bag is only 4 lbs and it's expensive so I opt to buy that in the larger bag and keep it in air-tight containers also.

Winnie is now "between" foods so I am buying small bags to see how she does with particular brands...Wellness, Canidae Platinum and the Dr. Foster and Smith Senior (unfortunately the one we like the best has to be purchased online with high shipping charges :( )

We buy the 4 or 5 pound bags, however, we usually buy 4 different varieties so we start with over 16 pounds. It usually lasts 2 months or so and I've never noticed it going bad.

I bought a big air tight container at a pet store ...sometimes I buy the small bags and sometimes I buy the big ones...I have never had problem with food going stale or anything.

this is the one I have

food storage

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

I usually end up with the 8# bags. I do have an airtight container that I keep it in. When I empty the container, it will hold an entire 8# bag just right. As I mentioned in another thread, I usually dump the last pound or two if Renny starts ignoring it.

I'd prefer the smaller 4# bags just to insure fresher food, but they are hard to find. I know it costs more per pound that way, but I'd still prefer smaller bags. I think the makers are missing a good bet with owners of smaller dogs by not making the smaller bags more readily available. The smaller bags might be a good alternative for people with larger breeds when they travel.

I also buy a 30 pound bag of Nature's Variety Prairie, but have gotten the 40# bag before. never have had any problems.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

This is the Rubbermaid container I use, it also has a scoop that hooks onto the lid and the scoop has measurements on it which is handy. They make one that holds 26lb and one that holds 45lb. Its nice because its not wide like the others and you can put in more places, its not as bulky as other storage containers I have seen.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Pets-Scoo...8562&sr=8-2

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Archived