CairnTalk

Snow Boots for Will

Will&Grace

Will's feet must be very sensitive to the cold/snow - after not real long out his feet must cramp and I end up having to carry him in. He is fine instantly upon going inside so I am sure it is just a sensitivity to the cold. I am talking very cold on snow - has been often around zero.

Anyhow, I have bought 2 pairs of boots for him from petco and can't seem to get them to stay on. My question is - has anyone found a particular brand or style that they feel works well with the little Cairn Paws.... and where you got them....

I always get such good suggestions for my purchases here and have been quit happy with advise from the experts here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, by myself and Will - one with sensitive paws.... :surrender:

Thanks in advance.

Scooter has this problem as well, its usually only when its REALLY cold also, usually below 15 degrees. I always carry him in and my husband says I created my own monster because Sadie will run laps around him while Scooter stands there looking up at me holding 2 out of his 4 feet up. When I ask if wants a carrot though he is miraculously ok and manages to get in the house. When I carry him in the SECOND i put him down he takes off running. Sometimes I wonder if he is playing me.

I haven't tried booties but let me know how it works. Scooter is 4 and has managed to get thru some pretty harsh winters in New England so I haven't bothered. I think I would be carrying him more with the booties on...

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

They boys have this happen when it gets really cold. I have the style with the velcro belt closure. I noticed that if I didn't cinch it tightly enough the boot would come off... So they stayed on when it did it tighter... and they didn't seem to act like it hurt them. I also picked up a few extra pairs at the fleamarket for like 3.00 each since they seem to loose one boot....

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I have two pair of boots for Buddy. They have a zipper closure and a velcro strip to tighten them around his ankle. It did not take long for him to get used to wearing them. I have found them at Target and Walmart.

He likes wearing his coat to keep the snowballs off his belly too!

post-2473-1198874336_thumb.jpg

I think your bigger dog is laughing at him...lol! How cute is that? i have a raincoat like that as well that my mom gave me, Scooter HATES it. He tried to "beat it up" when he sees it. I have to hide it in a closet. My dogs are not fans of clothing.

By the way, what kind of dog is the bigger one? He is beautiful!

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Buddaroo, that picture is adorable! Buddy looks soooo cute with the boots and jacket. I will go look at Target & Walmart today, for a style with zipper & velcro strap.

It is zero again today so Will is really wanting a "Brand new pair of shoes" :) Thx linda

Tanner is a great dane. I think he is laughing at Buddy, but that is only because I can't find boots or jackets big enough for Tanner. But lucky for him, I got a pattern so I can make Tanner his own jacket!

Linda~ I hope you found boots for Will and he likes them. Post pictures!

Well, we are stuck here in FREEZING Wyoming without any boots.... :( Went to Petco, Target, K-mart & WalMart and there aren't any boots to be had. Petco was hugely disappointing - the person working there was very unfriendly and not at all helpful! Soooo, I am now looking online. I have a pair that was Gracie's (65lb husk/shep mix - rainbow bridge) and I am trying to make them work - they look hilarious on my 20lb cairn - but they are better than nothing. We still have at least 3 months of winter left so I have to buy some. I will go with a pair that has the zipper front & velcro as described above.

Another tricky part is figuring out the size - I am guessing small or possibly even x-small. Maybe I will order one of each size and then return the one that doesn't fit :)

I will post photos as soon as I get something though - Will will be proud to have a pair of booties that fit and look like they were made for him and not a 70 lb dog :)

Thx Linda

I'm going to look for some or make something too....it's so cold here and there is a ton of snow in the front yard, the dogs come in looking like a bag of cotton balls when they come back in. I just had to pick Dori up and bring her in, she was just out for minutes and stood on the porch with her paw up and wouldnt move. I think i'll dig out some fleece tomorrow and see what i can make up. Only another 2 weeks then we head to FL...yippppeeeee.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

I made snow booties for Packy last year.

post-1119-1199233189_thumb.jpg

I used leftover fleece and a little velcro; pretty easy. I found the directions here:

http://www.uberpest.com/booties.html

They didn't stay on very well in the really deep snow, but I think I was my fault because I didn't have the velcro pulled tight enough around his legs. He doesn't really need them so far this year. Good luck!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Maggie is pretty good out in the snow, i guess we are "lucky" that its so cold here (-20 to -30) that the snow doesn't stick at those temps! ...maggie likes being outside (-30 is too cold for anything! but at -20 or warmer she can spend hours in the snow! no boots on....)

a

Archived