CairnTalk

Mars Coat King- does it work?

Jessica H

I want to start stripping them myself and I want to buy a Mars Coat King but that thing looks scary! Does it hurt them, how do I use it? What size should I get? How often should I do it?

I used to have them stripped but she is no longer doing it anymore so i had them clipped this summer, kind of wish i didn't but its too late, once the coat grows back I want to try the Mars Coat King.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

I like the #16. Tried a 12 and didn't like it, but some prefer a 12, so it's down to preference. It doesn't hurt them and some dogs like it. Some hate any grooming. The tips are not sharp; the blades are sharpened only in the nook of the curve. I use it essentially like a brush. I still finish by hand, usually using fingers but sometimes a knife or thinning shears.

Here's a great link discussing grooming Norfolks. Very applicable to Cairns.

Some previous discussions to get you started: Google: mars coat king size site:cairnterrier.org.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I could not live without that tool. I think I've replaced the blade twice in maybe 3+ years but that's working on 3 Cairns.

I used it to "strip" Remy's puppy fuzz a few months ago and his coat is looking wonderful.

Maybe we could all get together and do an info commercial... :lol:

I find the MCK most useful on the larger areas of the body, the back, sides, upper part of the legs, and upper part of the chest. For the rest I still pull the hair by hand or use thinning shears. Of course the tail requires pulling by hand, which I'm sure all dogs must hate. When you first use the MCK, you'll be surprised by how much hair comes out but don't worry, most of it is undercoat and dead hair. If you keep going over the same areas more hair will come out, so use it carefully at first and see how it looks, you can always take more off later. As I told my DW, "It's only hair, it'll grow back!". :thumbsup:

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

My dog hates grooming. No brushes, stripping knives, scissors, pumice stones, nail clippers, hair clippers OR nasty plucking fingers are well tolerated. He tolerates only a comb and the MCK. Pretty much anything else inspires him to become a snarling beast, trying to do backflips to get out of the grooming table noose. Therefore, I love my MCK!

I have a #16. Not great for legs or face - I'm considering getting one of those little ones for those spots since the clippers and scissors seem to freak him out so much

I ordered the #16 blade one from Col Potter. Bit off topic but could I use this on my long haired cats? They have such thick coats, without ever seeing once I am not sure if it would be too harsh for them.

Also how do you keep the dogs still when grooming? I am not planning on buying a grooming table so I was wondering if there were any tips to keep them still or tied to something? They aren't bad when I groom them but its hard to get them to stand still, I usually follow them around he room while I brush them...

DSCN2419-1.jpg

I got the MCK today and I love it! I can't believe how much hair I got off of them. I mostly did Scooter last night and I got tons of hair off. I am sure I could get alot more too but I got tired. Will the hair just keep coming out until he is bald? In other words should I stop when i think it is enough or is the hair coming out cos it is dead, should I keep going until i can not get anymore hair? The fur I am getting out is wooly and very dull in color, the hair that is really showing on his back is very red so i am guessing the dead hair that I pulled out was dull. Sadie is going to take a while, she has a very thick coat, Scooter's is on the thinner side.

I am assuming I am doing it right, i just hold it basically parallel to their body with a slight slant upwards and "rake" lightly in the direction of the hair.

i love this thing, I think i should order a smaller one for their faces, tails and legs.

DSCN2419-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

The person who gave us Spencer, sent us the Mars comb. I really like it and Spencer doesn't mind it either. I worried in the beginning about hurting him and just did it very gingerly. Then I realized it was not hurting him and began using it about once a month. It is really a great tool!

Bonita

Based upon input from this site, I got the Mars 16 and I have a furminator (small one). I use the furminator on the belly and a little on the inner thigh. I use the Mars on the back, chest and upper legs.

I am doing ok.....the head is still by hand and I think I have the collar still too bushy but it grows back.

Bit off topic but could I use this on my long haired cats? They have such thick coats, without ever seeing once I am not sure if it would be too harsh for them.

Hey Jessica,

We have a #10 - that's what I was advised to buy for a Cairn, seems it isn't what anyone else is using tho....but it works just great. and to answer your question, we also use it on our Labrador x, and our moggy cat (semi long-haired) it works beautifully on them all. I don't really know if it is "appropriate" but as long as they shed less and look nice I don't really care either - so go ahead and try it I say!

I LOVE our MCK. So do my sofas, carpets, clothes, cushions, vaccuum cleaner.......

I actually ended up buying it and I love it. It works great on the cats, I think I like it more for the cats than the dogs. The cats love it too. THe dogs could care less, they just don't like standing still for too long.

DSCN2419-1.jpg

question about MKC,

seems like many people use this item instead of hand stripping, so i'd like to give it a try. Im a noob to dog grooming and hand stripping seems tooo involved for me. but im confused because from what i've read the idea of handstripping is removing the dead top coat (???) whereas MKC seems to remove the undercoat (??) and mats.

i guess my question is, does this product strip off the long top coat hair also?

We use #12. It is a compromise between the big and small, really any of them will work for you. :thumbsup:

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

MCK both cuts (*) and pulls. And rakes. Plus it's a floor wax :P

That's why it's a compromise. It does cut more than it pulls, though, so don't go crazy with it.

* That's why show groomers and purists won't touch one with a ten-foot pole.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived