CairnTalk

Food Allergies

Molly'sMom

Hi, I am new to the cairn board. I have a 1.5 year old cairn named Molly. She has severe allergies to fungals, evironmental, etc. Additionally, she has food allergies. She is allergic to brewers yeast, barley, oats, wheat, liver, flaxseed, and beef. There are some others, but the allergy test says that if the number is below 40, it decreases the probabilty of significance. Anyway, we are having a hard time finding a food that does not have these ingredients. We have tried several different foods, but she is still scratcing and losing hair on her sides. We also have prescription allergy shots that she is given every three days. If any of you have any suggestions, please let me know. I am so excited to be a new member of the board!

Hi & Welcome,

You did not state what foods you have tried. I feed Kramer who is now 3 years old Evo, grain free, high protein, low carb diet.

I checked the ingredients and all you mentioned were not in the Evo. I feed Kramer the Evo small bites. Wheat is no good for any dog. Wheat, corn and the list goes on and on.

Here is the Evo ingredients, hope this helps you. Their website is http://www.evopet.com/default.asp

Ingredients

Turkey Turkey is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of turkey or a combination of thereof - exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails.

Turkey is an excellent source of highly digestible protein. Natura uses table-quality turkey in many of our formulations.

The turkey Natura uses is not only human-grade, but also tested to be free of hormones, antibiotics and pesticides, as well as chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. This is an important distinction because manufacturers are not required to list substances that are present in the ingredients when they go into the pet food.

Chicken Chicken is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of chicken - exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails.

Chicken is an excellent source of protein.

The chicken Natura uses is not only human-grade, but also tested to be free of hormones, antibiotics and pesticides, as well as chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. Natura does not add these harmful ingredients, and they are not present in the ingredients we use. This is an important distinction, because manufacturers are not required to list substances that are present in the ingredients when they go into the pet food.

Turkey Meal Turkey meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone derived from the parts of whole carcasses of turkey--exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

Turkey meal is an excellent source of protein in commercial pet foods. This ingredient is very digestible and very palatable. Natura uses this ingredient in combination with fresh chicken, fresh turkey and chicken meal in some of our dog food formulas.

Chicken Meal Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

Chicken meal is considered to be the single best source of protein in commercial pet foods. Natura uses high-quality, low ash chicken meal extensively. This ingredient is very digestible, very palatable, and very expensive.

Potatoes Potatoes are whole, freshly cooked, Idaho russet potatoes, that include the skins.

Natura uses only whole, freshly steam cooked potatoes. They are not pre-processed, so they retain all of their important nutrients (including 'protector' antioxidants).

Potatoes provide B vitamins, carbohydrates, zinc, vitamin C, copper, iron, magnesium, niacin and potassium. Natura uses only fresh, whole fruits and vegetables, just like you would buy at the grocery store.

Herring Meal Herring meal is the clean, rendered (cooked down), dried ground tissue of undecomposed whole herring or herring cuttings, either or both, with or without the extraction of part of the oil.

Herring meal is a good source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Natura uses the whole herring including the oil from this excellent food fish in our cat and dog food products.

Chicken Fat Chicken fat is obtained from the tissues of chickens in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.

Chicken fat is the highest of all animal sources in linoleic acid (over 23%), an important element for skin and coat health. Because Natura uses such high-quality chicken, this is a high-quality source of fat.

Natural Flavors Natural flavors are minimally processed flavor ingredients that do not contain synthetic or artificial components.

In the Natura products that include "natural flavor" in the formula, the exact composition is proprietary. However, it is always made from the same animal species on which the formula is based. For example, the "natural flavor" used in the original EVO formula contains a reduction of chicken meat - much the same process as is employed to create a chicken stock in your home kitchen.

Egg Egg is the part or whole of the reproductive body produced by hens.

Eggs are an excellent source of protein, with naturally occurring complex combinations of amino acids. Natura uses only human-grade whole eggs in our products.

Apples A member of the rose family, the apple has a compartmented core and is thus classified as a pome fruit.

Apples are an excellent source of dietary fiber. About 81% of the fiber is soluble; most of it is of a type called pectin. Apples provide both soluble and insoluble fiber, some vitamin C and beta carotene, and potassium and boron.

Natura uses this nutritious fruit in its whole form to obtain all of its wholesome nutrients.

Tomatoes Tomatoes are the edible berry of the tomato plant of the nightshade family.

Aside from their high Vitamin C content, recent research suggests that cooked tomatoes contain nutritional factors that are necessary for prostate health in human males. Like other recent health discoveries, these benefits may also apply to cats and dogs.

Natura uses only fresh, whole, human-grade fruits and vegetables such as you would find in the supermarket produce section. Fresh ingredients are mixed together in small batches and cooked by a special process to ensure the natural flavors and nutritional values are preserved.

Potassium Chloride A chemical compound, KCl, a colorless or white, cubic, crystalline compound that closely resembles common salt (sodium chloride). It is soluble in water, alcohol, and alkalies.

Potassium plays various roles in metabolism and body functions. It assists in the regulation of the acid-base balance and water balance in the blood and the body tissue. It assists in protein synthesis from amino acids and in carbohydrate metabolism.

Carrots Carrots are the roots of the carrot plant, and a member of the parsley family.

Innova dog and cat foods contain whole steamed, carrots which are free of pesticides.

When ingredients are fresh and not pre-processed, they retain the flavors and important nutrients (including 'protector' antioxidants) of the foods you serve at your own table. Natura uses only fresh, whole fruits and vegetables in our foods.

Vitamins Vitamins are organic compounds that function as parts of enzyme systems essential for the transmission of energy and the regulation of metabolisms of the body.

AAFCO regulates minimum standard quantities of vitamins in levels that pets need to survive. All pet food manufacturers supplement their products with vitamins. Beyond meeting these minimum requirements, all Natura products contain a complete vitamin and mineral supplement program that helps pets to thrive, not just survive.

Included in our foods are some of the following vitamins and minerals: Ascorbic Acid, Beta Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Pantothenate, dl-Methionine, Folic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Potassium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin C Supplement (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (Alpha Tocopherol), Zinc Proteinate

Natura adds these important vitamins and minerals, in proper balance to its foods to ensure that your pet gets all the necessary nutrients for life and good health every day.

Garlic Garlic is the whole clove of the garlic plant.

Garlic is valued for its anti-oxidant properties, as well as its enjoyable flavor.

Our formulations use the same fresh Gilroy garlic served in restaurants and sold in grocery stores. Natura selects only fresh, whole fruits and vegetables for our pet foods. They are not pre-processed, so they retain the flavors and important nutrients (including 'protector' antioxidants) of the foods you serve at your own table.

When comparing ingredients in pet foods, it pays to ask about the source of the ingredients. Are they human-grade? Are they fresh, dried, powdered, or otherwise processed? These characteristics affect both the flavor and nutritional value of the final product.

Cottage Cheese Cottage cheese is the result of separating milk or cream into curds and whey. The curds are drained and pressed to form the soft, white, spoonable cheese.

Cottage cheese is an excellent source of calcium, phosphorus, protein and vitamins. Natura uses table-quality cottage cheese, straight from its retail container. The cottage cheese has only trace amounts of lactose and because of its limited inclusion in the formula, the ultimate amount of lactose in the finished product is insignificant and would not be in sufficient supply to cause an intolerance problem.

Minerals Minerals are inorganic substances essential for a host of vital processes within the body.

AAFCO regulates minimum standard quantities of minerals in levels that pets need to survive. All pet food manufacturers supplement their products with minerals. Beyond meeting these minimum requirements, all Natura products contain a complete vitamin and mineral supplement program that helps pets to thrive, not just survive. The minerals Natura uses are chelated, providing three to ten times greater assimilation than common minerals.

Included in our foods are some of the following vitamins and minerals: Ascorbic Acid, Beta Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Pantothenate, dl-Methionine, Folic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Potassium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin C Supplement (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (Alpha Tocopherol), Zinc Proteinate

Natura adds these important vitamins and minerals, in proper balance to its foods to ensure that your pet gets all the necessary nutrients for life and good health every day.

Alfalfa Sprouts Alfalfa sprouts are a member of the pea family.

Alfalfa sprouts are rich sources of antioxidants, anti-carcinogens, phytochemicals, enzymes, trace minerals and numerous other living nutrients which work against toxins, resist cell mutation and invigorate the body's immune system. One of the phytochemicals contained in alfalfa sprouts is 'saponins'. Saponins lower the "bad" cholesterol and fat but not the "good" HDL fats. Sprouts are good sources of vitamin C, folate, beta carotene and niacin.

Ascorbic Acid Ascorbic acid is a white, crystalline, water-soluble vitamin, occurring naturally in citrus fruits, green vegetables, etc.

Ascorbic acid is a form of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant good for normal metabolism.

Natura uses the sodium ascorbate form of vitamin C for a natural preservative too.

Dried Chicory Root Dried Chicory Root is the dried, non-roasted root Cichorium intybus L., used as a source of inulin, as soluble, fermentable fiber. It shall contain no less than 50% inulin and no more than 13% moisture. Chicory Root is a thick-rooted blue-flowered European perennial composite herb widely grown for its roots and as a salad plant.

Commonly known as a "prebiotic," the inulin derived from the Chicory Root is a fructooligosaccharide added to accomplish the same purpose as supplementing probiotics. The prebiotic feeds the "good bacteria" and hinders the growth of bad bacteria in the pet's digestive tract.

Direct-Fed Microbials

Vitamin E Supplement

Lecithin Lecithin is a specific phospholipid and the principal constituent of crude phosphatides derived from oil-bearing seeds.

Lecithin is essential for normal fatty acid transport within cells. It is obtained chiefly from soybeans, corn and egg yolk. Natura uses whole grains, fresh fruits and natural protein sources which provide all the essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals necessary for the life and health of our pets.

Rosemary Extract Rosemary is an evergreen shrub of Rosemarinus Officinalis.

Rosemary, along with its cancer prevention properties, is a highly effective preservative.

Analysis

Moisture 7.5 %

Protein 43.16 %

Fat 22.22 %

Linoleic Acid 4.2 %

Omega 3 0.52 %

Carbohydrates 14.46 %

Fiber 1.52 %

Ash 11.14 %

Calcium 3.03 %

Phosphorous 1.76 %

Manganese 21 mg/kg

Sodium 0.38 %

Potassium 0.77 %

Chloride 0.67 %

Iron 236 mg/kg

Zinc 226 mg/kg

Copper 18 mg/kg

Iodine 3.8 mg/kg

Magnesium 0.11 %

Selenium 0.9 mg/kg

Arginine 3.17 %

Histidine 0.85 %

Isoleucine 1.72 %

Leucine 2.99 %

Lysine 2.86 %

Methionine 0.99 %

Met-Cysteine 1.39 %

Phenylalanine 1.76 %

Phe-Tyrosine 3.09 %

Threonine 1.75 %

Tryptophan 0.42 %

Valine 2.08 %

Choline 4132 mg/kg

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 5.16 mg/kg

Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 5.17 mg/kg

Niacin 40 mg/kg

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) 5.11 mg/kg

Folic Acid 0.8 mg/kg

Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 22 mg/kg

Biotin 0.34 mg/kg

Vitamin A 24271 IU/kg

Vitamin C 500 mg/kg

Vitamin D 2366 IU/kg

Vitamin E 300 IU/kg

Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 10 ug/kg

Vitamin K 1 ug/kg

ME 3937 kcal/kg

Taurine 0.23 mg/kg

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Thank you for your response. I have not tried the food you mentioned. It does sound good. None of the ingredients that she is allergic to are listed, which is awesome.

The foods I have tried in the past are: Nutro Max, Nutro Ultra, Science Diet Natural, Royal Canin......

I was going to try canidae because I have heard such good things about it, but then it had flaxseed near the top of the ingredients list.

I think I may give Evo a try!

Pets with severe allergies do very well on Evo. If you do go with the Evo you will need to feed less of it. I feed Kramer 1/4 cup 2 x daily. If he gets more exercise then I feed him a little more, depending on his activity. Some days we exercise more, like summer its swimming or I roller blade and he comes along. Now here in Illinois the weather is getting cold we walk. When the snow comes he loves running like crazy in it so he will get in exercise that way too. It is a wonderful, healthy diet but not meant for every dog. As long as Molly is healthy.

I would talk it over with your vet as well but a lot of vets promote there foods that they sell like science diet, hills etc...and they think those are good. Not true. Veterinarians do not get a lot of education in nutrition. Sometimes we just have to read different food ingredients and go with our best of knowledge. Some prescription diets that Hills makes, even though the ingredients aren't the best do help the pet. My first Cairn Missy that passed away had IBS and needed a high fiber diet, Hills w/d had the most and it worked great for her. Later in life at age 13 she became diabetic. With Hills W/D and insulin Missy enjoyed another 4 years and passed away at age 17. So, for illness I think the Hills does the job, but, for a healthy pet, I feel there are so many other good healthy foods out there. Good luck and hope Molly is less itchy :)

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial

I started Molly on the Evo Small Bites today! I mixed it in with some of her old food and she ate all around the old food and went straight for the Evo. She loved it!

Thats great! Kramer loves it too & he is a picky eater. Hope it helps with the itches. Keep me updated.

Diego has sever allergies too. He actually went to the vet on Friday and had to get two shots, because he scratched so much that he got a bacterial infection on his skin. Diego also eats EVO and he loves it. I started him on this over the summer when his allergies were getting bad again. I am sure that it helps, but I will know more once his bacterial infection is cleared up. It is a GREAT food though!

Debbie and Diego!

I am sort of wondering if Molly may have a bacterial infection. she has some places on her skin and she has lost quite a bit of hair on her sides. She was given a test for thyroid problems, but tested negative. I am not sure what to do. I think I am going to take her back to the vet in a week or two if she doesn't improve. I am hopeful EVO will help!

I hope Diego is doing well!

Archived