CairnTalk

He Howls Like a Wolf!

kjwarnold

This is interesting. When I leave for any length of time, Packy will howl like a little wolf. DH says his head goes up and back and he just lets it rip! My parents have heard it, too, when we've left him with them while we go out of town. I've never heard it.

So, DH went out of town yesterday and we were interested in seeing how Packy would react. Nothing. Nada. No change in behavior and no appearance that he even knows DH is gone, other than he's been bugging me more often to play and get attention. I guess that means I'm alpha around here! I hate to tell DH that Packy didn't miss him though...

Has anybody else heard the wolf howl?

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

sheila and Misty

no I havent... but I wish Misty would try that. its about the only way to get a dog to sing.

sounds like alot of seperation anxiety to me. Misty on the other hand emits a shrill high pitched whimper- not very loud but really high pitched and she only does it while we are walking out the door to show us she really doesnt want us to leave but we tell her to be a good girl and that we will be back late late(she know thats longer)

shes quiet as soon as the door closes and she runs up the back of the couch to watch us pull out and leave, Then she ok with it.

Our Cairn Rocky howls all the time. He is our second Cairn but the first to howl. It's almost like he's talking. Typically he'll do it when I get home from work or first thing in the morning. Sometimes if you howl at him first he'll howl back. It's cool.

Fergus howls when he gets his favourite squeaky toy and he's in heaven LOL

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

Gus howls and Chase tries to talk to you.

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

Mine are the most vocal dogs I have ever seen. Scooter howls all the time, he even does it with a toy in his mouth which is really funny. He makes a lot of different noise, he talks to me all the time. Sadie "RooRoos" all the time. Its so cute, I can't explain it but its just like I typed it but it goes on for a long length several times in a row. I love it.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

While Winnie and Remy are barkers, Madison has the strangest vocals I've ever heard....I don't know if it's a true howl but it is unique.

Mett & Bratt really haven't been able to pull of a 'true howl', they more or less attempt to but it comes out more like aroo arroo arroo in shorter clips... not the true single long howl that a do normally does. What is most funny is that Mett & Bratt will face each other and do this

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Ella doesn't howl, but her nick name is "Burfy" because when she hears something and doesn't know what it is, she let's out a soft bark that sounds like "burf"

While both of ours don't bark much, if someone walks by the yard with a dog, Jazz goes to barking, and Digger goes to howling. It cracks up our neighbors, because he sounds just like a hound. No even the "walker-byers" say "Diggy you aren't a hound dog boy". Its hysterical.

dori howls, when she's seen a critter out the window and gets all excited and i hold her up to the window, she starts this funny whowling and it's a hoot. Ellie puffs. We call her puff doggie.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Nigel will howl if we're playing our singing game, but he also makes all sorts of noises. Aislinn howls at certain pitches. It's quite funny because she "stirkes a pose", then throws back her little head.

"Lord help me be the person my cairn terriers believe I am."

sheila and Misty

listening to all of your responses..maybe its what I call the talking sound. she sounds like rowl ruff oof rowf wowr wannn mmow mer ay yi yoieow hi piched whine whine . but not when we leave.

Pepper is very "unCairnlike" in that he doesn't bark a lot. The Westie makes up for it. But neither usually does a real howl.

Except that tonight we went on a walk, I stepped on Pep's front paw, he let out a LOUD howl of pain (oh, dear :confused:) and the neighbor whose door we were passing peered out to see what this bad person was doing to a dog.

pam

Archived