CairnTalk

Something creepy just happened

LilyGrace25

I was out walking the girls earlier today and this guy in a big white pick up truck slowed down and stopped about 1/2 a block ahead of us. I didn't think anything of it. As I got closer he stuck his head out the window and asked if he could give my dogs a treat. I said no and kept walking. He then asked if he could give them a toy. I said no again and then he said "oh come on, are you serious?" At this point I got scared. I saw him look in his rear view mirror and then a car drove past us and he drove away. I did an about face and practically ran home with the dogs.

People stop us all the time and ask about the dogs but this was different. I got a bad feeling about this guy. I called and reported it to the police.

He would have had to kill me to get to my girls! Lily and Grace are so friendly they would have probably jumped in his truck if he had opened the door.

Just wanted to post. My heart is still racing. Hope it doesn't sound too silly to everybody. But you know how you just get this bad feeling? I am not sure what would have happend, I'm just thankful another car drove by.

I think I would have asked him if he offered the same things to every dog he met on his travels and got into conversation with him, but there again I live in New Zealand.

It's sad how society is isolating us. This was brought home to me when a girlfriend and I were sitting in her car outside a friends house, when a small boy walked past with a small dog. I promptly opened the car door and called to him what was his dog's name and how old was it? He looked very mistrustful of me, mumbled a reply and when I said "come here and let's meet your dog", he shook his head and said his mum told him to go straight home and shot off. I was astounded as I thought I was being friendly, until my friend pointed out that small children are taught not to talk to strangers.

It's a sad world don't you think?

Cheers,

Welly

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

Sorry that happened to you. I would have reacted the same way. My first thought is, he wanted the dogs, and now I'm thinking he wanted you.

Will you be walking a different route from now on?

It sure sounds weird...I can see he might have a treat to give but does he drive around with a bag full of toys??? Did you get his license plate #? Not to scare you but maybe he was wanting to establish conversation with you. What did the police have to say???

I would have to say that is very strange, I would not have taken anything from him. Never mind stealing them, what if he wanted to poison them? You never know these days. Why would he be so insistent of giving a stranger's dogs toys or treats and who drives around looking for dogs to give stuff too? Maybe there are nice people who do this but its still weird.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

The police said I was right to report it. The officer said it sounded strange. I didn't get much info. I just wanted to get home.

We talk to alot of people on our walks. We live in a very friendly neighborhood and I have met alot of my neighbors by starting conversations about my dogs or theirs. People often slow down in their cars and ask "are those Cains" or "what cute dogs" and we start talking. but this was different. Like I said, I just got a bad feeling about his guy.

We live in a pretty busy neighborhood. There are always people driving or walking or just out in their yards. I feel pretty safe otherwise.

I just know that if I have to protect my dogs by myself it would be quite a site! I would have Grace shaking (she is scared of the wind), Lily acting like the tasmanian devil (she is my wild woman), Molly, my 10 year old, 10lb yorkie, barking her little old lady head off, and me a 45 year old, not in the best shape and don't know the first thing about fighting! How funny would that be???

Lynn

As a city boy I would have crossed the street or turned around the minute I saw the pick-up stop.

Sorry to say these are dangerous times we live in and you just can't be too careful.

I'm glad a car came along and that he drove away.

Ask yourself this: Why would anyone in their right mind be carrying around treats and

toys for dogs they never met. Duh!

Keep a sharp eye out in the future.

Lynn -- I LOVE this image that you draw about protecting the dogs! As a mother of three kids, I often imagine what I would do in certain situations and so I could understand what you were thinking and how you were imagining yourself kung fu chopping this guy if he got anywhere near you and your family. I think it's this protective instinct that this guy saw in you that made him realize that you would NOT be an easy target. I'm sorry for the experience you had, but KUDOS to you for showing him that you and your family would not be threatened by him.

I dont suppose you would consider carrying a deterant spray, pepper spray etc and have it visible plus your cell phone to get a picture of truck as he was driving off. Just holding your cell phone up would make this person think your getting his pic.

Myself I would drive around neighborhood to see if I could spot truck and get a great picture for future reference.

These are the things I would do if it were me, my family and of course Skipper if I felt a threat

That was very creepy! As Oprah always says 'trust your gut'. He may have been a perfectly nice man who loves dogs then again.... You did the right thing. I hope you feel better.

Lynne,

You did the right thing! This world is getting crazier and crazier, with more weird-do's. We live also in a very safe neighborhood as well. Last Saturday these two men in a truck asked to Jr. high kids if they wanted candy. The kids were at my sons Jr high school walking home. The kids replied NO, they said are you sure then they proceeded to get out of the truck and chase them. They ran into a residental area across the way and the guys ran to there truck and took off. The boys got a good description and called police from the house they ran too. The cops did catch them and will be going to court. They were both in there 20's and drunk! Nothing better to do than scare kids.

I'm glad the outcome was good and you and the girls got home safe. This sounds like a guy that wanted you or the dogs or both. BTW, a dog store got broken into at night and stole 12 dogs so dog stealing is a big thing.

Glad all turned out good.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

right, you did the right thing. and it was creepy. you're supposed to believe that the guy is just driving around with dog toys in his truck?

this sounds like the guy in nicole kristen's complex. maybe cairn people have to form a convoy to walk their dogs now.

I sadly wonder if he was not after your dogs and maybe you, using the dogs to lure you near him. Very scary, I think you did the right thing!

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Go with your intuition, I don't think it will ever fail you. I usually have dog treats in my car, but I know I wouldn't approach a child or young person out with their dog and offer them one.

I got the chills just reading your story...

Too bad you couldn't have gotten his plate number. I honestly hope he was on the up & up but I also have a bad feeling about it.

Glad you're all safe....

Doesn't hurt to carry pepper spray or even a SIG now a days.... :whistle:

Archived