CairnTalk

Guy Fawkes Night

wellygoggles

"Guy Fawkes Night (more commonly known as Bonfire Night) is an annual celebration on the evening of the 5th of November. It celebrates the foiling of the Gunpowder Plot of the 5th of November 1605 in which a number of Roman Catholic conspirators, including Guy Fawkes, attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

It is primarily marked in the United Kingdom, but also in former British colonies including New Zealand, parts of Canada, and parts of the British Caribbean. Bonfire Night was also common in Australia until the 1980 but it was held on the Queen's Birthday long weekend in June.

Festivities are centred around the use of fireworks and the lighting of bonfires."

[color="#008080"]Even though Guy Fawkes Night is officially 5 Nov, fireworks have been going off for the past 4 nights and poor old Fergus was beside himself. It was as though he was hysterical. He quietened a little when I held him in the bedroom in the dark - he changed from outright barking to whimpering. The whole household has had a traumatic 4 nights and we are just hoping the Prime Minister's suggestion that fireworks maybe banned from public sale by next Guy Fawkes Night comes to fruition.

A tired Welly & Fergus

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

Oh, I remember Guy Fawkes Night from when we lived in London! Yes, it can get pretty noisy. Lucky for us, fireworks don't seem to bother Packy too much, because on the 4th of July here it gets pretty crazy. He barks at first, but then will settle down when I tell him, "Enough!"

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I wish our PM. would ban fireworks they've been going off for 3 weeks here. They've been really bad for 4 nights too thank goodness it's over after tonight.

ahh thats like v for vendetta. Great movie. Fire works, yea, my parents dog freaks out. of course, he dosent like any kind of snapping or banging noise. even thos little snaps.

yes, on the fourth of july my dog is always a nervous wreck. he truly truly truly believes that we are being bombarded and that i am doing nothing about it.

my scotty tries to catch all the fireworks!! :o He gets so excited! I think I would rather deal with him being scared at fireworks than psycho for fireworks scotty

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Archived