CairnTalk

Getting a 2nd cairn?

jklein

HELP!!!!! OK so my wife and I drove 2 hours (each way) and picked up our new pup!!! she's 13 weeks and we named her Olive. I will get some pics and post them. I am freaking out big time! I've obviously raised a puppy before but she peed 4 times in the house last night, pooped twice this morning, Casey wants nothing to do with her and I feel a lot of guilt because Casey is used too getting all the attention! I really freaking out here. Was this the right choice to do this now?

Yes you did the right thing, you have to give it time for them to get used to each other, they won't be best friends right off, they may not even like each other right away. Introduce them slowly.

As far as the peeing and the pooping, this is a puppy. Back to housebreaking 101. You need to bring Olive out at least every hour if not every half hour. You need to bring her out when she wakes up, after she eats, after she has played.

Do not panic yet, it has not even been 24 hours. It will be fine.

Put her in a pen or crate and spend alone time with Casey to prove to her that she is not being replaced.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Relax and give it some time....

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

I agree...relax and give it some time.

When we brought Lily home I was EXACTLY the same way. We drove 8 hours to get her and I was ready to take her back the next day. Grace kept looking at me with this "why?? mommy why??" face. She hated Lily. Lily could not go near Grace without Grace growling at her. I cried (literally!). It took some time but one night I saw them circling each other (happy circling) and they started wrestling! I grabbed the video camera and started crying, again (literally!).

We just made sure that all of Grace

Thank you. That's just what I needed. Thank you all for taking time to help out, YOU HAVE ALL BEEN A HUGE SUPPORT. So after Olive pooped 2x in the kitchen this morning my wife and I took her and Casey outside and they actualy played!! It was so cute. My concerns are three. 1) Casey is our baby and I don't want her to feel left out, abandoned or alter her life. We have great routines down and NOTHING makes me happier than 10pm when my wife, Casey and I get in bed to read. 2) I start a new job a week from this Monday and I'm worried that this is just all too much, too fast. Can I make enough progress in a week to feel OK leaving a new pup in an xpen all day? is that fair to her? 3) Long run how will this work? I know I am freaking out here....

Is there a possibility of getting a pet sitter? We found one who was recommended by our vet. For $10 she comes and spends 30 minutes with the girls either walking or playing.

Dogs are pack animals. I think in the long run you are going to find that Casey will be contented and comfortable with Olive. Whether or not they become best buddies they will be happy to have each other.

Casey will definitely have an adjustment period. She probably is feeling a bit upset right now. Give her a few more hugs and kisses :hug:

You sound exactly like I was when we brought Lily home. I think I was taking it harder than Grace. I would look at Grace and feel so bad that we did this to her and I thought she was looking back at me with these big sad eyes...then Dave would yell "let's play frizbee" and off she would go with a smile on her face and her tail wagging!!!

Sounds like you have enough love in your house to make Casey feel secure and Olive happy she found such a good home!

I hope all is going well. My first Cairn didn't like other animals so I could of never gotten another Cairn.

Now we have Kramer who loves other dogs and people. I worry the same, will Kramer be jealous, mad at me

etc...etc... I have an opportunity to get a rescued little 3 yr old Cairn girl. I'm going back and fourth because I

don't want to make a bad decision. I always was a one pet only owner. Growing up we had at one time 4 but I was at home and young. I would love another, someone to play with Kramer and just overall companion for all of us, but.....it boils down to Kramer. I know he would love her, he isn't a jealous dog its just he is very attached to me. I don't want any hurt feelings. Sounds crazy but I just want to be sure.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

OK, so we got through the weekend. I had a MAJOR freakout on Thursday night and an even worse one Friday morning. Our lives have beeen flipped upside down but I am now convinced that this was a good decision. i forgot how much work this is!!! It sounds very strange but my concern is not so much getting up at 3am or paying extra vet bills, It's Casey. My relationshyip with her has changed and as close as we were and are, we both have to share each other. Olive is doing great though. Playing more and more with casey, eating like it's going out of style, and slowly getting the potty training. I was watching TV and Olive was sleeping on my lap, well casey goes to the other end of the floor and plops down!! I think she's having an adjustment and it's tough to share attention but I guess we have to do it. We're crating her at night and during the day when we can't be with her. We spent a LOT of time in the backyard with the both this weekend and I am not sure what to do during the day. Either way thanks again to you all!!! I'll post some pics of my girls soon.

I know what you mean when you say your relationship with Casey has changed. Before we got Sophie, Bailey used to get on my lap every morning at the kitchen table where he would carefully wash my face and neck, and then lay down in my arms and look out the window. I would complain about the face wash to my DW, but I really loved the attention I was getting from my buddy. Now that Sophie is here too, they play together in the morning, and if I want to hold Bailey I have to go get him and even then he won't stay on my lap nearly as long as before. It's just different now, and although I love having 2 dogs, sometimes I miss the way it was before. I just have to make sure that I pay special attention to Bailey, because even with 2 dogs he still needs as much love & attention as when he was the only one. :confused:

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

I didn't leave my youngest alone with my oldest until I knew he was big enough to handle any rough play Jeter would dish out his way. And when I first started leaving them out alone together I would do in in short increments adding more time each time I left.

Jetersmom(and Bernie's)

Bailey,at 3 1/2yrs old, had full "run-of -the-house privileges" when we got Sophie. At first when we went out, we crated Sophie in the bedroom, and let Bailey have the rest of the house. Sophie was 11 mos. old, so pretty soon we started letting them both loose in the house and we would go out for periods that started at 1/2 hr. and got progressively longer, as long as there were no problems. We were fortunate that everything went smoothly and we didn't have to start over by crating her while we were gone again. One caveat: If your really value something, don't leave it laying around until you can REALLY trust your dogs. They, especially puppies, don't know the difference between a valuable item and a cheap toy. If you leave something out and they destroy it, whose fault is it, really??

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

My younger one was in the ex-pen in the kitchen until after a year old while we worked. When Gus was small, he only played with Crunch under supervision. When he was older, he still had to stay in the pen due to his chewing tendencies. I thought I could leave him out at one year old, but he destroyed some area rugs. Anyway, the day did come and he has free run now...(maybe it was a year and a half???). Congratulations on your new puppy!

Archived