CairnTalk

Getting a 2nd cairn?

jklein

Hello everyone: This is my first post and I hope that I'm not visiting a topic that has already been discussed. I'll spare you all the, all too familiar, description of our two year old spayed Cairn Casey. Fits the breed to a T, LOADS and LOADS of energy, smart and an absolutely terrific dog. Though my wife and I work full-time, we do have a walker 2X per week and we get her plenty (though never enough) exercise. Casey is VERY social from the beginning. I was able to bring her to work with me when she was a pup and there was a Westie that "showed her the ropes"

I am starting a new job and will have over a week off. My wife and I have wanted to get Casey a sister for a while. I've read all the sites about why to and why not to get another but I need solid info from real cairn owners like you. If we did it, we'd do it this weekend and it would be a female. I've been told that a male would probably be better but we don't want a male. I'd have a week to acclimate a new pup and establish some crate training routine.

Do you think 1) this is feasible? 2) A week home with a new pup is long enough 3) what is it like to have two dogs? More work, less?? Thanks so so much for the help.

ABSOLUTELY get another one. I was in the same boat as you when i made my decision and it was the best decision I made. I am also gone for about 8-9 hours a day, my 2 are BEST friends. You may want to be careful with 2 females, especially since Casey is 2 but others here have 2 females. I have a male and a female and I am so glad I did it. They keep each other company.

To answer your questions:

1.) Yes it is perfectly feasible

2.) When I got both of my puppies I stayed home for a week and it was fine. I did not put her in a crate while I was gone, just put a pee pee pad down.

3.) I think in terms of work, having 2 dogs is easier. They keep each other company and they both have completely different personalities. Just more money as far as food and vet (no big deal though cos I love them both)

You will just need to take introduction slowly, from the sounds of it Casey will be fine but this will be a new puppy in HER domain. I would do it!

Few pictures of them together when I got her and now

ScootandSadie.jpg

DSCN1739.jpg

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Those two are too cute! They look like best buds!! Thanks for the input, you have eased my mind. Is it twice the work or half the work?

When we got Casey spayed it was a nightmare!!!!! Ripped open the incision 3 times, 3 trips back to the vet, staples, it was awful. We don't want to do it again but I have always had girl dogs and all of her friends are girls. She does not have one friend that is a boy...think it matters??

Also, you bring up a good point with the crating (or lack there of). Case will go NUTS if she is hope with a dog that she can't play with. I would get one of those pens and put puppy pads down during the day and the new one would sleep in a crate at night. I don't know how Casey will respond though.

Is it twice the work or half the work?

My experience has been that two are more work than one, but less than twice as much.

Three is more than 3X. Four through six, you're working full-time for the dogs anyway, so it hardly matters :P

Expense on the other hand scales more or less linearly, with any bulk purchase or fleet discounts at the vet or obedience school being offset by an increase in dog-dog related expenses (kennel cough, kerfuffles, general pack delinquency, etc.).

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Mine were in an expen with pads while I was gone, I kept them separate while I was not there at first because she was so small.

I think it is no more work with another, it makes it easier. They love each other, if I bring one somewhere without the other the one who is home panics.

DSCN2419-1.jpg

I think two dogs are terrific - probably the ideal number. And the first dog being two years old is a pretty good age, about the youngest I would recommend.

Just to put out some thoughts on both sides of the question...

Special effort should be given, particularly to the senior resident, to ensure that their need for attention from the humans in the household is still being met. This usually entails an extra effort for additional grooming time, training time, walks, etc. This is especially the case if bringing in a puppy. Puppies have a special ability to suck up all available attention.

I'm not saying this is the case AT ALL, but every once in a while we'll meet someone who is overwhelmed with one dog and seems to want a second dog with the idea of "Hey, less work for me! They'll just amuse each other!" and to me that is a poor reason to get another dog, and is unfair to both dogs. If we don't have time for one dog, we surely don't have time for two. This isn't you and I only mention this for the sake of completeness.

One last factor to think about regarding timing. We got our second dog only nine months after our first and they are about to enter their teen years. While it's impossible to predict the life trajectory of individual animals, we can reasonably expect a forthcoming simultaneous increase in health-care issues and probably costs, and it is somewhat likely we will someday lose them both in a relatively short time frame. For us, that sobering realization was one reason we kept another dog, with a longer age gap.

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Good points. Thanks. I guess some of my reservations come mostly re: the overall change and uncertainty. Casey is well adjusted and has the run of the house. She is VERY demanding and talks to use (sounds wierd I know). I can just picture her yelping at night because she wants to play with a new pup that is sleeping in his/her crate. With winter coming I guess it's a good time because we won't be as likely to play ball or go on long walks.

I don't really think you will have that problem, by bed time, Casey will probably be glad to see the puppy be put to bed, so she can have some quality time with her people. A problem I have had is the older dog is shocked by the fact that the puppy doesn't know the rules and makes mistakes, such a chewing on things they are not supposed to, or having accidents in the house. I spent alot of time assuring the older ones that they had done nothing wrong and everything would be alright. One thing that concerns me is your ability to get a female puppy so quickly, unless you already have one in mind. You want to work with a breeder that can help pick a puppy that will fit into your family.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

as you can see I am glued to the forum as all of your comments are very helpful. The breeder that we got casey from has a few males available. I have been in touch with a few others that are about an hour and ahalf away that have females available. Going through another spay is gonna be terrible it's just that, as wierd as it sounds, I have never really been around many males.

My first Cairn Missy passed away at age 17, will be 3 years this November. I too always had females. After losing Missy I swore no more dogs for me. Missy's death was very very hard and took me a long time to recover. Anyhow, my husband and son brought home a little male Cairn for me, (A breeder threw someone my hubby knew) anyhow I wasn't keen as I was missing Missy so much but that little guy brought me and the family so much joy and love. I don't know about others but my Missy was very dominate, very self centered, she would come to you when she wanted to. Kramer my male, he is soooooooooooo lovable, kisses all the time, very docile, just a little teddy bear.

He loves everyone, human or animal. I can't say enough about the male Cairn. I loved Missy to death but, Missy was Missy, she was the boss, no other way. Kramer goes with the flow, he is just a terrific dog in every aspect.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

I'm not sure what your reservations are about getting a male, but some say that the males are even more affectionate to people than the females. Also once a male is neutered, there is nothing much left down there that is objectionable to look at. As for 2 females versus a male/female, our breeder and another breeder both recommended the male/female combination, and it has worked out wonderfully for us. Our male, Bailey, is a little over 4 yrs. old, and our girl, Sophie, is 18 months. When I ask Sophie if she wants to go outside, she always goes to find Bailey first so he can go with her, and when it's time to come in one usually goes to get the other too. On the other hand, many on the Forum have 2 females and think it's great, so the choice is yours. Either way you'll wonder how you ever got by with only 1 Cairn. Here's a pic of our pair:

BAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07041.jpg

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

I have three girls (2cairns and 1yorkie). Grace was first and we got Lily when Grace was about 2yrs. I've had nothing but a great experience with all three. They really compliment each other. Grace was a bit shy and awkward around other dogs and Lily seemed to be able to get Grace to relax and let her guard down. Grace finally realized she was a dog! Lily is a bit wild and Grace (our mother hen) keeps her in line. We just got Molly (she is 10) and she rounds out the family. I think she enjoys having two bigger sisters. She tends to be a bit sassy on our walks

I wanted to get Nigel a playmate, and our dog-trainer friends suggested a girl...enter Aislinn. While Aislinn keeps herself busy sniffing Nigel's butt every time he comes into the room, Nigel couldn't care less about her. I think they've played together a total of 30 minutes in the year Aislinn's been with us, but they don't fight either. They merely tolerate each other. Sometimes they will both sit with me or both sit with my husband, and they have both slept in the bed with us without conflict. I don't know, though, how one would react if the other left.

Personally, I think it's twice the work...twice the poop to scoop, twice the gear to pack for trips, twice the room for crates, twice the vet bills...blah, blah, blah....BUT we do not regret our decision to get another dog because it's also twice the laughs, twice the "glad you're home" barking, twice the kisses, better odds to have a dog to sit with, and definitely more than twice the love. All that makes the other stuff pretty small.

"Lord help me be the person my cairn terriers believe I am."

I was glad to see this question and all the answers; it almost mirrors our situation right now. We have an almost 6 year old male and are hoping to get a female puppy in December (our vet recommended the male/female combo). So it's very reassuring to hear how well they seem to do together. A follow-up question I have is: does anyone have some ideas on introducing them, and getting through the first few weeks. Harry is very used to having all 5 of us to himself, and even though he has always gotten along well with other dogs, I worry a little about jealousy when the puppy doesn't leave, like all the playmates do!

You can see I have two Cairns and in the past I've had 4 dogs at one time. I get a lot of pleasure out of watching dogs interact with each other. I added my second dog because Abby (only dog at the time) was dog crazy. Now that she has her live-in buddy, she is friendly to other dogs but clearly Rudi is her main man and all she needs to be happy.

One thing I do want to comment on, however, "I am starting a new job and will have over a week off. My wife and I have wanted to get Casey a sister for a while. I've read all the sites about why to and why not to get another but I need solid info from real cairn owners like you. If we did it, we'd do it this weekend and it would be a female."

I hope you are not thinking about popping into a pet store and buying your next dog. Doing so supports puppy mills (forget about whatever a pet shop tells you about getting their puppies from 'private breeders' because it's a lie) and the horrific conditions in many of them, it also increases the chances that you will be bringing home a puppy with serious health and behaviour problems because of indiscriminate breeding. End of sermon.

Chase and Gus say "Go For It!!!

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

Good point...no no no. I would never ever get a puppy from a pet store. We have been planning this for a while and I have relationships with 3 breeders that all currently have available pups. I have spoken to all of the multiple times re: their thoughts on M/F vs. F/F combos, suggestions on introductions, what they are feeding, how old the pups are, how big they anticipate them getting etc.

We are torn though between which sex to get. The breeder that we got Casey from, we trust her, know her, etc. and she has males available. Another breeder (who is closer) has both but her breeds them bigger (full grown 15-17 lbs) and another that is almost 2 hours away has girls that he breeds smaller (10-12 lbs). He seems like the top choice right now. Casey has MANY friends but they are all girls. She has never had a male friend but we just don't want to go through another spaying ordeal.

Also, I know I've mentioned this but any thoughts on the two being alone during the day? I'd hate to confine them both in the kitchen but if I put the pup in an xpen, it almost seems like teasing Casey. Thanks guys

post-3050-1193921822_thumb.jpg

I have a male and I love him to bits the whole castrating thing is a lot simpler. But if you are set on a female consider what went wrong last time and prepare for it. A cone collar from the vets syoped Angus from worrying his stitches, also keep you pup in a pen whilst the stitches are in to stop the older dog "helping". From what I've read it's usually advisable to have a puppy pen when you aren't there to supervise so as not to test the patience of the older dog. I'd set that up and see how things go when you are off, put puppy in it's pen during the day at times and see how your dog reacts, Maybe tou need to get a pet sitter/walker to visit with them for supervised playtime for a few months.

Good luck I hope all goes well

I love the male/female combination. I also hated the spaying, neutering was not bad though. My male has an extremely funny personality. I think all dogs are different, it is actually my female that is more cuddly and she is more needy than my male. The only thing I would think would be negative about 2 females is there aggression with each other but I really don't think that would be an issue, lots of people have 2 females.

I still think its a great idea and lots more fun. The work is not so much extra that I would let it stop me from getting a second. I was worried about that at first and I have now realized I was worried about nothing.

DSCN2419-1.jpg

another happy 2 cairn family here.......

My girls are 5 years apart

Teona and Tabitha's first meeting

P101011.jpg

now.....

62203926-DSC_0150.jpg

and you know you have to get a brindle pup since you already have a wheaten :thumbsup:

Update...well My wife and I talked and we are gonna do it. I am taking tomorrow off work and we are going tonight. i wasn't going to bring casey with us but the breeder said that it was ok. Think it's ok for them to meet like this and ride in the car together?

I've heard that it's better that they meet somewhere other than home anyway, so this might be a good idea. That way, Casey doesn't feel like the new one is on encroaching on her territory right away. As for the ride home, could you put one or both in a crate?

This has been a great discussion because we're planning on getting a second Cairn next spring. We've got lots of travel coming up in the next few months, so we want to wait until we're home for a long spell before introducing a new pup to the household. I go back and forth about the male vs. female combination. I think Packy (neutered) will get along with whatever we decide. We've always had males and they've been real sweethearts, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a little girl. I have to say though, that the talk about going through that first cycle before spaying has me leaning toward another little boy.

I did find a 1 yr. old Cairn at a local shelter and we thought about going ahead with that, but decided that the time is just not right for us. Packy's breeder should have a litter in the spring and she knows we're interested, so I guess we'll just see what comes up for us then. By the way, that Cairn at the shelter should be fine. There are several others interested in him and the lady that runs the shelter works with a Cairn rescue group. If it had been a something other than a no-kill shelter, I would have had him, even if just for fostering for a little while.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

When I picked out Sadie Scooter was there because I had just gotten back from a trip and I boardered him there. So when I was picking him up I picked her out. She was about 5 weeks and it was SO FUNNY because she was so mad when Scooter was sniffing her. She sounded like a tazmanian devil, going after him. I was nervous they were going to hate each other but they are best friends. If the puppy gets upset or mad at Casey do not worry about it. Good luck and keep us posted.

DSCN2419-1.jpg

I'd recommend separate crates for the ride, even if the one for the puppy is just a small pet-carrier. Putting them both in the same crate right away might cause a problem. Good luck, and get us some pictures quick!

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

I'm late to this post but glad you decided to add another Cairn member to your family. You received alot of great advice...enjoy and please do post pics.