CairnTalk

How did you name your Cairn?

Hagar

Miss Darcy's name was conceived long before she was. We had been researching Westies for 2 years and I told my husband I wanted a good Scottish name and I just loved the name Darcy. A very bouncy, lively and fun name. And then when we happened upon her as a pup and needing to be adopted we fell in love with her and both agreed she TOTALLY fit the name... and since she's half Westie (other half Chihuahua) we decided the name would do her well. We wanted to give her a Latin middle name, but couldn't determine anything we liked. Our last name starts with a D and we thought it would be funny if her initials were 3D (i'm in the arts so it was a funny reference). She's just 2D instead (still an art reference).

Bailey came with his name as he was adopted from a local shelter ONE YEAR AGO THIS MONTH. So since we adopted him so close to Halloween, we added Boo to his name. So he's officially Bailey Boo.... my halloween treat.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gooner is the name of Arsenal's fans. Arsenal is my husband favorite soccer team in London England. He had to give up his season tickets when we got married and lived in America.

Jack is Union Jack after the British Flag.

We couldn't agree on a Scottish name for our boy, so we settled on an English name suitable for a boy or girl, Bailey (Sterling Bradford Bailey Boy). A girl's name proved even harder for us to pick. She was 11 months old when we got her, and the breeder had registered her as "Cherbo Special Event", and called her Evee. Neither of us liked Evee. I, being a Meryl Streep fan, wanted Sophie from the movie "Sophie's Choice",and my wife kind of liked Chloe. For about a week I kept whispering Sophie in her ear while she was sleeping, and she finally agreed! Yes, I am a sneaky devil!

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

With Skipper I had a couple thoughts on his name, since I am retired Navy and just knew this little pup would be a great part of my life and there may at times be a power struggle I decided on Skipper, title only. It was really confirmed first time day I had him outside when he put that skip in his step to attack his ball.

Skipper, does a good recall when I do a great big "YIPPIEEE SKIPIEE" he comes running to see what the excitements all about. Whenever he does good on his training etc. same thing, YIPPIEE SKIPIEE. :thumbsup:

we wanted a scottish name. Dexter seemed pretty fitting. For some reason he ends up getting called Dex man most of the time though...

I picked the name Harvey as i've always liked this name for a while don't know when i first heard it but i thought it was cute for a baby boy, then my wee cairn came along and i thought it would suit him it was a toss up between harvey and dylan but harvey won and suits him well. If anyone ever gets any more cairn babies and want a scottish name i've got plenty, since i stay here and many people tend to choose a scottish names here like Hamish, Angus, Skye, Iona etc.

We have Chewy (chewbacca) or Chew-e-bacca as I call him because of what he looked like when he was a pup, not so much any more, and my husband wanted to name our dog Chewbacca so he won on that one. Then Roxy came to us as Mona lisa and I just couldn't do it sooo after watching her for a day or so she seemed so foxy, so shes foxy roxy :P

Great topic!

Chewy

chewy010.jpg

Roxy

100_0405.jpg

WOOF! Eli, here.

The Alpha B must have some sort of fixation on my name or something. She's all like, "Eli! What are you doin'?" and "Eli! Get over here! " "Eli! Leave that alone!" Jeez! A guy can't get away with much with her around.

Count yourself lucky you don't have to hear her sing! She's all like, "Eli's coming, hide your heart girl" and stuff like that. She thinks she can sing.

And when I'm all like de-stuffle-izing a stuffed animal she's all like "Whaddya need more cotton for your GIN, ELI?????? BWAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!" She thinks she's so funny but trust me, it gets old after a while.

WOOF!

Eli B)

WOW, I love all of the responses to the topic. A lot of thought went into many of the names.

Renny is strictly my companion. He has AKC papers, but I never sent it in since he will not be entered in any shows or bred. Since some of you mentioned the AKC registered names, I actually had to dig out Renny's "Birth Certificate" to see if he had had a name assigned by the breeder. The best I can come up with is that his Dad's name is "Flair's Jasper of Wheat" and his Mom is "Flair's Carie of Paragon". Based on that, and since he's male, I suppose "Jasper" after his Dad might have worked.

I do normally call him Renny, but sometimes I do use nicknames of "Munchkin" or "Little Buddy".

My boyfriend and I used to drive around town talking all the time. One night we were talking about how someday we would have a Cairn because his family had always had them, so we started discussing names. We decided that we wanted a boy dog and somehow came up with the name Morty. It just seemed perfect. The name then became synonymous with all Cairns. They were all Morty Dogs. When we finally got Morty earlier this year the name just fit him. Everyone we meet says he "looks like a Morty."

As a side note someday we want to have a girl named Barbara and another boy named Hershel.

I made a list of names and then I picked a few favorites. When I brought Greta home I would just look at her and say different names out loud (and yelled them out as well) to see what fit. Her name given by the breeder was Kiss My Grits, they called her Flo (I live in Florence). I call her Moe Moe from time to time, who knows where that came from.

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog. -- Konard Lorenz

Well, with Digger (Cairnquest Copper Clan Master), when we did all of our research on the breed, we discovered that digging could be a behavior we would have to deal with. Sure enough when we got him home, he ran and played in his new big back yard, and immediately begin digging in the flower beds. Though we have broke him from digging in the flower beds, and only in his special spot in the yard, the name stuck.

With Jazz (White Oak Laurel Tree), when we got her from the breeder at just over 1 year old they called her Laurel. I just couldn't stand that name, so we slowly transitioned her to Jazmine after the mystical character in Seconhand Lions (one of my favorite movies). She is strictly Jazz now, or Jazz-a-meen, depending on what she's up to.

Great topic.

Scully was named for two reasons. My husband's favorite show was X-Files and I work for the FBI so since I got the pick of what type of dog we got my husband got to name her. Now all we need is a male and we can have Scully and Mulder!

Nigel, Alistair, and Gibb were the choices I gave my husband. He nixed Gibb right away, even though he knows how much I love the Bee Gees. Nigel won the backyard shout out. Our breeder loved it and started calling him Nigel when he was just teeny tiny. My nicknames for him are Nige, Nigey, and occassionally No No NiNi. When he's being a stinker, I turn in to my mother and call him all names "Nigel Oswald McBooger" (his grandfather is Booger King)

Aislinn (pronounced with the long a sound) was originally Izzy...which we hated. We called her Aisy for a couple of days, then Aisly, and finally Aislinn. It took less than a week to get her to come to her new name.

I didn't want either to have a typical dog name, so it was fun perusing websites for just the right one.

"Lord help me be the person my cairn terriers believe I am."

We had contacted the breeder regarding a female puppy, we chose one and then had to play the waiting game. So of course I have all these names going through my mind and I thought about Scottish names but my husband is Welsh and I nixed that idea right away ;)

Sitting outside relaxing one weekend, I thought of the name Miya. My daughter emailed me later on telling me she had watched a TV show and the dogs name was Miya, but spelled "Mya". I took that as fate and we named her Miya before we even had her.

In the meantime, my husband and I watched a movie called Eight Below and the pack leaders name was "Maya". (Great movie!)

Soooo, 2nd Cairn comes into our lives 3 months later from the same breeder and I told my husband it was his choice what to name him. He decided on "Max". Max was another dog in the movie. They definately live up to their names, Miya is the more dominant one over Max but I don't know what they would do without each other now.

(I won't tell you why he chose Max, in case you want to watch the movie) :)

Miya

Max

I named Will because my other dog's name was Gracie (rainbow bridge 7/27/07) - get it "Will & Grace" - which was one of my fav shows..... I was going to name him "Tommy" because I really like that name but then my sister proposed Will and besides how well it went with Grace - it just fits him really well - from day one. So, if Will gets a brother one day - his name will be Tommy and if he gets a sister - her name will be Tommi or Rosie. That's our thoughts right now anyhow... :)

He has several nick names now too... "Chunky Monkey" "Bubby" "Willum" just to name a few! :)

My daughter is 3 1/2 yrs old, so my TV is always playing Disney or Barbie movies. So when we knew we where getting our puppy, while watching Mulan II with my daughter, I thought Mushu was a cool name for a dog. Of course I asked for her approval, and she loved it. So that was it.

The name goes really well with him, 'cause he's as mischevious and tricky as the character...

Lili, Toño, Luisa, Gabo, and Mushu.

It's 2002, the Olympic Winter Games are being held in Salt Lake City, Utah and we are awaiting the arrival of our male Cairn. Since I will be selecting from the litter, my husband will be naming the pup. After watching the speed skating events, he decides that Apolo will be his name. I slightly changed the name to Apollo Oh-no. As a pup, Apollo lived up to that name, especially with my husband by skating right out the patio door one snowy winter day (we then lived in Michigan). Imagine a grown man, stopping by home during lunch hour, deciding to open the slider door and poof, there goes the dog. Jim did not have time to put his shoes on. :P

****Apollo****

imsleepysig.jpg

I named Chase because it seems that all that I did was chase him (in fun).

Gus, my wife named and you will have to ask her cause I dont know?

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

When we were driving to pick up our Cairn, we thought the we were going to get a male dog. So we were throwing around names like Charlie and Houlihan and the kids really got into it. My 4 year old son watches a show called "Ben 10" and he wanted to name the dog after his favorite character, Upchucky. *sigh* Thankfully, when we got to the rescue center, there were two female Cairns left so Upchucky was out of the question. :D

Once we got her in the car, we were looking at her and trying to see her personality. In a moment, the name ELLA popped into my head and when I said it to everyone, we all agreed. She was predestined!

And it fits her too!

Our first cairn was Annie, so named because it sounded slightly Scottish, fit her, and was easy to yell out in the back yard...(a requirement for cairns, it seems). Allie started life as Sunny D, named after a soda pop. Her litter mates had similar soda pop names (Pepsi, etc.). We decided to change it to Allie because it was close in sound to Annie and kept the "A" theme going...her official name is Allegra.

When T-Bone came along last spring, he already had the name and answered to it. He's a rescue dog so we're not sure where he came from, but the name is used for a small yellow dog who is the best friend of Clifford the Big Red Dog in the children's books. We think that might be where the name came from.

I still call him Beebers when I'm playing or cuddling with him though.

My first Cairn, Holdsworth, was named after the world's best jazz rock fusion

guitar player in the world, Alan Holdsworth (who happens to be, originally from the UK.)

Then there came Shadow....that was obvious since we were extremely close and

he followed me around everywhere from the time he was a baby until he

crossed Rainbow bridge in 2002.

Our 7 year old is named Olie. My husband is a rabid ice-hockey fan, and until

recently Olaf Kolzig was their goalie. Olie lives up to his name as he is truly

Olie the Goalie.

My five year olds are Teddy Bear and Sweet Pea, from the same litter in 2002.

We brought Teddy home as a pup. It was clear from minute one he was a cuddle bear

(and still is), hence, he became Teddy Bear.

Sweet Pea got left behind, and didn't get adopted by us until last year when the breeder

decided not to do any more breeding. Her name was Sweet Pea and we wanted

her to be comfortable in her new home so we didn't change it. She really is

a Sweeet little girl and I treasure her company.

Good Topic! :)

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

when we got Angel we were going to name her lucky I wanted to name her Vanora but husband didn't like it and he wanted to name her chewy and chewy is not a girl name and I didn't want my dog named after stupid star wars..so Vanora became her middle name...her first name was kinda in the was the first thing I though of when I looked at her. when I was holding her on the way home she was just sooo sweet she just looked like an Angel so we decided to called her Angel. When we got Scotty I had already pick out the name since Cairns are from Scotland I choose Scotty and Finlay is part of my mother's surname (Finlayson) its Scottish meaning Fair Warrior. Scotty has alway been my lil defender...hes always trying to guard me ..and he's a lil hunter trying to get all the squirrels, bunnies, birds, and cats so the name just fit

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

I'll start with Tabitha......

Hubby always joked that if we had kids he liked the name Tabitha for a girl. Since deciding we didn't want children our first furkid was named "Tabitha".

My hubby's entire family has a "T" theme....

me=Teri, hubby=Timmy

sister in law's family is

Tessia, Toby and their two boys Tayton and Tanner and dog Teeley

so next came Teona... we had to have a T name and we were brain storming.... We had just seen a movie with Tea Leoni and I really like her so we just rearranged the name to get Teona

when we found a baby kitty I knew it also needed to be a "T" so I thought of Topanga from Boy Meets World

so that's my family Teri, Timmy, Tabitha, Teona and Topanga

Archived