CairnTalk

Ambushed by an agressive Beagle

Tracy A.

On our afternoon walk yestrday, we had gotten not that far from the house when a neighboors dog had gotten off its tie out - These people have 3 or 4 dogs on tie outs in their front yard..... If anyone recalls "Amanda the 6 year old Stalker" from a few summers ago.... This is her house.

Well we were across the street from her house, the boys were peeing on a mailbox post and this begale charged us from behind and went after Bratt. I didn't see the dog until it was on Bratt. None of us saw it.... I pulled the boys close to me and pushed the now Agressive Beagle back with my foot and yelled "NO" "NO" in deepest voice staring at the dog-- making myself look as big as possible... The dog started to go in the other direction and I kept facing it until I heard the owners come out and start yelling for the dog. The dog was far enough away with the owners close enough that I felt it was okay to contine on our walk....... We made it about 10 feet when I heard Amanda an her Mother yelling loudly at the dog. I turned to see this Beagle running full on towards the boys and I. I short leashed them, put the boys behind me and faced the Begale head on. Argessive little @#$%^&* went right for Bratt again and over shot the ambush.... by then Amanda had caught up and I told her to get her dog... But the Beagle had gone for Bratt again and for his throat... I kicked the Beagle in the chest with enough force that it ran away.

When Amanda mom caught up, I said... and i'm too damn nice sometimes... "I'm sorry, I had to kick your dog in the chest... it went for Bratt's throat"

The boys are unhurt, I checked them over.... and I had a Gin and Tonic.

If it would have turned into an all out dog fight I would have unlocked the flexi leads so the boys could have protected themselves.... 1 beagle would have been no match for 2 Terriers.... but i'm glad I didn't have to do that.

I think i'm going to carry a small spray bottle of vinager with me during our next walk.... maybe a big stick too....

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I'm sorry about your walking experience! I'm glad you were able to keep it from becoming a full blown dog fight though.

This is why I don't walk my guys around the house. We go to a park because we don't enforce the leash rule we have for the neighborhood (no leash law outside the city) and there are constantly very large dogs roaming the neighborhoods.

Again, I'm glad all is well and hopefully this will teach your neighbor something (although from the sounds of it I doubt it)

That's scary. I have often wondered how I would deal with that if it happened because when you're walking two and have two leashes it gets crazy as it is. Glad to hear no one got hurt.

Jetersmom(and Bernie's)

I've had a similar experience while Walking Renny. Usually if I just yell at the offending dog(s), they will leave.

For the times when that doesn't work, I have a small canister of "Pepper Spray" that clips to "my end" of the leash. I've had to use it twice, and believe me it works!! I got mine at a store that caters to police officers and it is the "good stuff". It should be legal in most places, but you might want to check with the local authorities in your area.

I have also seen quite a few dog walkers in my area, especially those with smaller breeds, that carry a sturdy stick like a cut off pool cue to use to protect themselves and their dog. I have considered purchasing a telescoping "baton" similar to what a lot of law enforcement officers carry. It would clip to my belt and not be as threatening to people I meet along the way. There again, check the legality in your area.

What a terrible experience. I'm so glad that all of you are alright. I'm curious....did Amanda's mother apologize or anything?

In off hand way, When I said I was sorry that I had to kick her dog, she said that whe would have done the same in the situation . she also said that the dog had gotten off its tie-out.... They have like 4 dogs who are out on tie-outs all day, they only come in at night.....I feel bad for those dogs.

That's scary. I have often wondered how I would deal with that if it happened because when you're walking two and have two leashes it gets crazy as it is. Glad to hear no one got hurt.

I had worried about pepper spray because it does depend on how the wind is blowing with respects to blow back.....

I am glad the boys are ok. That is a very scary experience. You really are too nice, "Mystics"- I have been known to scream at people to get their dog away. It is hard to deal with an aggressive dog when you have two little guys leashed. I take a golf putter with me! It admittedly sounds nuts, but I feel a little better knowing I have it.

Pam

I am so sorry this happened to you and I feel sorry that the Beagle has to live such a life. After being attacked twice by a Pit Bull in my condo, I now walk the dogs only to do their business and I usually carry Citron, a humane spray (not that I have issues with Pepper Spray, but given the choice, I choose Citron) I now pack them in the car and drive a few blocks to a very quiet lake that I feel safe around. I wish all states had an animal bill of rights. SCruffy became aggressive after my 2 attacks. I have learned to deal with this. SHe has become toy possessive and aggressive when she is on leash or if a large dog trys to play with her.

Glad it worked out ok and neither you nor your guys got hurt. Dogs kept locked up and especially chained seem to get very aggressive to other animals and people, they need that socialization they get being out and about with responsible owners like yourself.

As a way to avoid the kicking part and because kicking at a dog is a great way to get bitten I'll pass on some info given me by a dog loving mailman once that had some serious experience with unpleasant dogs. He carried a squirt gun of good quality that he filled with a solution of water and just enough ammonia to send em packing when squirted in the aggressive dogs face. Dogs are so quick that I'd worry more about your ankle than two Cairns against a Beagle. I think I'd also explain politely to my neighbor that if it happened again the doggie police would be called. I'd hate to do it but her dog deserves protection from her neglect.

Sound like an old curmudgeon don't I?

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

I've read some pretty positive reports on the effectiveness of SprayShield, (formally sold as DirectStop). It's citronella-based so its kinder to the 'innocent' dog(s) as well as human bystanders, as compared to pepper spray. As with everything, Your Mileage May Vary.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I just happen to be wearing boots since it had gotten chilly out.... I was just happy in the heat of the moment that I knew better than to but my hands/arms down there....... If it had been a bigger dog I woudn't not have kicked it....

When I was a teen two of my Mother's German Shep. got into in the kitchen....Silly me tried to seperate them.... Only ended up with 17 stitches.

Brad, thanks for the product i'll look into buying some.... A commerical spray has better pressure and distance!

Sorry you had such a nasty experience, I'm so glad everyone was okay. I often wonder how I'd react in that kind of situation probably the same as you. I like the sound of that stuff Brad mentioned I'm just not sure if it can be brought into Aus, as it is illegal to use pepper spray here.

ctdogs.jpg

Archived