CairnTalk

Really bad grooming experience

BradysMom

I took Brady to a new groomers on Saturday. We moved over the summer and he hadn't been in awhile so I told them to even him out and go a little shorter underneath. Well, they went shorter alright. He looks like his stomach was basically shaved. His hair is maybe a 1/2 inch long all the way around except for his head which looks perfectly normal. It is the most ridiculous haircut I have ever seen. I started crying the minute I saw him. Not only that but one of his toenails was cut so short it was bleeding and he was limping. He seemed okay with a little TLC so I didn't think much of it but after our morning walk the next day it started bleeding so badly I panicked. I know that can happen with toes but I was convinced something else was wrong so I took him to an emergency vet clinic. Needless to say by the time I got there I felt a little silly sitting there next to some really sick animals (at least my shirt was covered in blood so I looked battle-scarred). The vet was so nice and explained the tricks to handling it if it happens again. Not a good grooming experience. I feel so badly for him because I know he just doesn't look like himself. I guess that's silly because he probably doesn't care. Thanks for letting me vent!

Aww Poor little guy, I hope his toe nail is ok by now. If that happens ever you can put that stuff on (I forgot the name) we have it here. If hubby cuts himself shaving, it stops the bleeding. Believe me there are alot of bad groomers out there. I think now a days lots of groomers are becoming just like a meat market. Bring them in, shave them, on to the next, fast work get it done ond over. There is no more precision cuts anymore, more so out for the money. It is sad, I see and hear of it all the time. Kramer gets mobile groomed so I can see whats going on. I don't trust groomers, to many horror story's for me. Don't worry, his hair will all grow back, just make sure you tell him though how handsome he is.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Please scold me if I sound harsh....

But, I would think the groomer would have taken care of the bleeding nail way before poor Brady left. That is totally unacceptable. And to have him limp out of that torture chamber! They should be shut down!

As for the haircut, it will grow back so don't worry but if I were you I would contact this shop and tell them what you had to do regarding his nail.

Never feel silly being a good Cairn parent. Give Brady a hug from me.

I used to have a Yorkie and after one trip to the groomer where she ended up nearly shaved I bought my own clippers. Not to mention she hated the groomers and after one long stay before she was ready to be picked up she ended up with bleeding colitis - which sent me to the emergency vet in a panic too.

I may not have been the best groomer in the world, but at least if it wasn't perfect the price was right! If you clip rather than strip you might want to try using thinning sheers or buy clippers - there really isn't a need to pay for a groomer, especially one as bad as the one that you tried sounds.

Clipping a nail too short can happen to anyone. I've done it. The vet's nurse (different ones) have done it. All it takes is a dog to move suddenly and the nail can get clipped way too short. The vet had to cauterize Rudi's nail once because it would not stop bleeding any other way.

I hate having bad experiences, I had a bad one with a vet once and I was really upset. Sorry about your bad experience. I had mine groomed yesterday and it is a lot shorter than I wanted (about and inch or so long) but it'll grow and they are very soft. Sorry about his little paw, I agree the groomer should have taken care of that before he left.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Thank you for all the kind words. The vet did end up cauterizing (did I spell that right?) his toe and prescribed some antibiotics just in case. I think I will either learn to do it myself or go with a mobile groomers for next time.

For nails I'm a Dremel fan. (Previously.) It's very hard to overdo as you can just tap-tap-tap and see when you are approaching the quick. Or, don't even bother about reaching the quick and just take a bit off, once a week or on whatever schedule is appropriate for the particular dog.

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I really like the dremel tool suggestion and want to try it. Brad can you tell us what tip works best? When I get a bleeding toenail situation which is rare but it happens I have used the stiptic sp? pencil but the powder is better. I think you can buy the powder at farm supply stores. I used to use it when trimming sheep hooves and it works great. The thing is sheep don't lick their feet. That stuff would probably not hurt them but it sure would taste bad. It would be great to never have a bloody toe experience again. With my old Max dog I had gotten so good and he kept nicely still that it became a non issue but with Cassie who is larger, stronger, and squirmier I am now in the market for new solutions.

If at all possible, I'd suggest finding a mobile groomer.

We started using a mobile groomer with our previous dog, and I've used the same one for about 15 years now.

The first big advantage is that it is much easier on the dog. At a grooming parlor, the dog is a cog on an assembly line. They get bathed and then are put in a cage maybe under a dryer, maybe not, while the groomer bathes the next one in line. The groomer may be working on several dogs at the same time. We would drop the dog off at 9 AM or so, and were lucky if he was ready by 4 PM or so.

With the mobile groomer, only one dog (Your dog) is being worked on at any given time. The groomer I use is usually finished with Renny in about an hour or so. That sure beats sitting in a cage for most of the day while the groomer works on other dogs.

There have been a couple of times when she'd get a little close clipping a nail or with the clippers, but when it does happen, she takes care of any bleeding and lets me know that she nicked him so that I'm aware of it. Since Renny is a wiggler the whole time, an occasional minor nick is not unexpected.

Have those of you who use mobile groomers found ones that will strip the hair, or are they shaving?

I try to keep up with stripping Henry's coat myself, but between my busy schedule and Henry's propensity to grow an inch of hair a day, I can't keep up. Also, I suck at it.

I'm looking for a better option and hadn't thought about mobile grooming. Seems like a great idea.

You can call the mobile groomers in your area and ask if they strip. My Missy had mobile groomer as well for years and now Kramer. I'm very picky on where I leave my pets. I like the idea of they are at my house, I can see inside anytime I want. I have used the same groomer that now we are good friends and Kramer knows her and likes her.

I never stripped Missy who had a beautiful black coat. Kramer is tan color with other colors threw out. I get so many compliments on his coloring and coat. In the summer I get him shaved (not alot) but he swims in our pool loves being outside so I keep him short in the summer. Winter I keep him long and he gets just trimmed. If you want piece of mind go with mobile grooming. Its easier on the pet and your mind knowing that when they are done they walk right into the home not in a cage.

Here he is fuzzy, I love him hairy :) Kramer's body is like the coarse

cairn hair but is head and chest are really silky soft :)

Kramerfallpicture.jpg

Edited by Kramersmom

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

We're Dremel users here, too, and I use the same coarse sandpaper drum that Brad listed. I should really go at Packy's nails weekly, but sometimes it's a two week interval. He's like the champion toenail grower!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I agree, dremel is the way to go, we just do a little each week and our groomer strips rather than shaves which i like...of course you can't tell from this puppy photo from last year when she hardly had any hair! I have to update that photo.

Comment mainly for Sarah.

My mobile groomer doesn't do the hand stripping. I suspect the main reason is the time required to do it properly. She does do a lot of combing and brushing which removes a lot of "dead" or loose hair. In Renny's case, clipper use is limited to a little around his butt and lower belly and a little around his muzzle. Since Renny is my "Buddy" and not a show dog, this arrangement works fine for us.

• 4 months later...

I don't think our Spencer has had the same cut twice. I wish I had a picture to show them. Not sure if I like the Dremel idea. Has anyone tried the new one shown on TV? Looks a lot safer for the non expert. How do you know where to stop?

Any pictures out there of how a dog should look after a trim??????

Thanks, Bonita

I once took Pepper into a groomer that ignored anything I said and gave him a Westie clip. Boy, he looked funny. :confused: I like Westie clips ok if they are done on my Westie, but not on Cairns! On the other end, I just had a really nice experience with a groomer last week. I told her the Cairn look was kinda "scruffy" and a little shorter than Pep's fur right then. When I picked him up, she showed me a book on terriers with a neat picture of a Cairn terrier. She had followed that picture in grooming my little guy, and he looked wonderful! She didn't use handstripping, but he has gotten a little ornery at 9 and doesn't like his hind end being messed with, including being handstripped. Of course I will go back there. I really appreciated the time she took to research his look.

I hope you do call that groomer back and say what happened to his toe. And maybe ask that they pay for it. There is no excuse for that. A groomer I went to for my other dog (the Westie) gave him a chemical burn in his eye, or so the vet diagnosed it. I called her, explained the vet's diagnosis, and requested that she pay for the care. She did, and we then parted ways for good. :thumbsdown:

Pam

we cut valentines back nail short twice, its the same to, so the quick thing must be futher up then the other ones. bleeds like a stuck pig. i feel bad when i do it, but someones you cant help it.

I've also herd of the dremle tool, our pet class person showed us that one.

sheila and Misty

just a suggestion if it happens again with the toenails a natural way without the sting is flour. It seems to work preety well I overtrimmed one once ! poor puppy it doesnt take much to make them very cautious. they remember well. Since I did that she still hides her paw and makes it difficult to get to.soon as my glasses go on she curls her paw under-takes quite a while for them to trust again. I deffinately would try a new place. My neighbor also had a bad experience with hher pup at a pet smart groom. All the dogs I see going in have to be dragged over- well they have the huge vaccume hoses vibrating right on their waiting cages-thats loud and scarey-stupid move on their part. Her dog shook for two days and refused to go near her he was so scared.

Sorry about your bad experience. My DW cut Zen's too short when he was about 9 months. As you know, it bleeds quite profusely and she thought she had maimed him for life. Poor girl almost fainted. Since then we run him over to our

vet when his nails need it. The other day she told me that they are advertizing some kind of file on TV that is a do-it-yourself and you can't over do it. She told me that the next time she sees the commercial she will send away for it. If that

happens and it is any good, I will post the results.

As far as grooming is concerned we are a do it ourselves family. A good pair of sissors and the Mars Coat King seems to do the trick just fine. We both enjoy the shaggy (almost unkept) look that the Cairn is known for. In the Winter months,

exceot for his head and ears, we just let it grow. Being on the Desert though means giving him a good trim and stripping during the hot summer months.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a really old post but I was thinking about all I have learned from this website today and wanted to tell folks that I did buy a dremel tool and have learned to use it with the tip Brad mentioned (small coarse sandpaper drum)and both dogs got used to it right away. In fact they really don't get any more excited than a yawn when it comes out and it's time to trim. I like the results too. We keep the trimmers around to use on those little dew claws, since they're almost too small to sand down.

I'm really lucky. Kirby only saw the crappy groomer one time - luckily she said he wasn't ready to be stripped so he got a wash and "blow out". The groomer we use now is great....does several cairns. Hand strips and the dogs wander around in the inclosed area when they are drying off or getting a rest during the had strip part! He is also going to open a doggy day care center! He also give great terrier advice - he has scotties. But, when starting out I didn't know a good groomer from a bad one!

We had a great experience this morning at the groomers. Here is Scruffy after his first visit, bathed, hand stripped and nails all done. She said he was as good as gold and that they usually are when mum goes out of the way. I had to make myself scarce for 2 hours.

post-4904-12868942354582_thumb.jpg

post-4904-1286894248455_thumb.jpg

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk